Mounting the Gear 360 Camera to a Phantom

In

Interestingly i.ve found the gear 360 doesn.t seem to need stablizing at all to vibrations as the stitching software (action director) seems to do a good job of stabilizing. So u might find u can get rid of all the rubber dampener gear and the video looks the same

What does get nauseating is fast movement in one direction. As the viewer will experience this as motion
As I do not have a Samsung phone or tablet, I use AutoPano to stich. I made this camera holder as a generic one fitting all cameras, also the Nikon Keymission 360 the Kodak cameras, etc.
So if you don't need dampers you can equally teach the camera directly to the platform.

Getting closer. Just waiting on the camera.
bb26e1cb05916ce7759cc202e470b657.jpg
7f6a8b7b79bddd627ea1f9552fcdf8d1.jpg
973559f6ad41109cabd92c7e8336fdf7.jpg
415ce23df4a0f7835423f960869ef3bf.jpg

Sent from my SM-N900P using PhantomPilots mobile app
This is a nice and easy setup. But it bares one problem especially for 360 cameras:
Half of your picture will be covered by the drone itself, as the camera is hanging directly below the drone. On the other side the advantage is that the forces caused by the lever action are smaller and flying behaviour will be better.

Cool this allows me to make a P3 version. Someone will have to print it, test it and provide feedback.

I will be able to print just need to fix the bed leveling issue with my 3d printer and should be able to do it.

So here is the STL file for the Phantom 3 Payload Bridge.
Phantom 3 Payload Bridge by bgill
As the camera is hanging lower, I had to put the bridge lower, than with the Phantom 4.
Therefore the arms are thinner, but that should be sufficient.

As I do not have a Phantom 3 someone has to print it and test it if it works. Feedback is welcomed.

The design is based on the measures of Strat.

Have fun and fly careful!

Last edited:
Reactions: Strat
Tried it twice today but my print keep failing about 30% as it gets unstuck off my print bed.. come home to a big ball of mess.

From what printed i tested it wraps around the leg of the P3 OK but will need to be held with zipties, so it should work once i get it printed.

It's more than 95℉ today so my aircon running could be causing issues with my prints will try again once it cool down next few days.

Tried it twice today but my print keep failing about 30% as it gets unstuck off my print bed.. come home to a big ball of mess.

From what printed i tested it wraps around the leg of the P3 OK but will need to be held with zipties, so it should work once i get it printed.

It's more than 95℉ today so my aircon running could be causing issues with my prints will try again once it cool down next few days.
I use a ring of Belcro to secure the bridge, even though it sticks quite tight on the phantom.

Could you print it sucessfully?

Could you print it sucessfully?

Hi sorry just noticed this reply.. nope not yet.. I haven't had a chance to try again.. i guess no one else has tried ?

Will try place it differently on my print bed and try print it again in the next few days.

I need to find some time to fix my printer.. or get new filament.. it could of gone off sitting for so long.. still haven't tried to print these again.. has anyone else printed this for the P3 ?

As the setup is not specific to the Samsung Camera, The setup I designed you can find on Shape ways
bgill by berndgill - Shapeways Shops
or on Thingiverse if you want to print it on your own 3D Printer
360 Camera Mount for DJI Phantom 4 by bgill

Has anyone tried on a 4 Pro? I have tried a few different mounts from bottom. 1" -3" rod on similar plate with and without dampeners. With and without VPS Off. Checked center of gravity, etc. Handles ok till I attach Samsung Gear 360 camera. Soon as I add the weight it shakes-shimmys. I am about to try top mount to help determine if a weight or stabalizer issue. But wanted to see if anyone had any issues. From sounds of it most folks are ok? Any tried on a P4P? -thx

They need to design a light weight gimbal for it or have software that tracks the horizon. The footage unstabilised footage gives you a bit of nausea when VR head mounted.
My P2Vision Plus batteries were getting unreliable so my 2D gimbal project below went on hold.

P2VPlusGear360c.JPG

I'm in.
Samsung gear 360 with p3pro. Preexisting carbon fiber gimble guard will be used as mounting plate.
Tried a couple things so far...
1. Mounted directly to carbon plate using Samsung gear mounting brackets and plexiglass... attached via vhb tape and zipties. Note that I cut a groove in the plexi to keep the surface flat and zips from interfering with the camera buckle mount.

80418ad4611ae3bec0b9a360693f84bb.jpg

Camera too close to drone here.

2. 4" 1/4 20 carriage bolt slipped through the guard, secured with a washer and nut. Crude as hell, but was in a hurry. It worked Ok. Shaky video and a pain to remove.. (gotta cut the zips on the guard to pop the bolt out)
9e2b22a29f0abaa19be442d5bc96fc47.jpg

footage here.
Video is pretty shaky but it was very windy and I should have used a lockwasher instead of flat washer.

I'm working on a new design that will incorporate 2 vibration dampeners to mount a plexi plate to the guard. I'll add a 1/4 20 threaded insert to this plexi piece, making the rod easily removed and attached.

I take off out of my hardshell pack but it's awkward and not very stable... I'm gonna cut 2 strips of plexi to lay down over top of the bag for the landing gear to rest on. Hopefully this will keep it level enough for a smooth, vertical launch.. I'll put some Velcro on them and secure them to outside of my hardshell pack.

To land I catch in my hand. Very easy, but I got scared after the wind brought it's little too close to me.

I would like to get to a place where I can attach and remove the rod in midair but that's only a dream for now.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1