Mounting options for GoPro Hero3+ on P2V+?

Reaction score
Just what the topic says... Wondering what options we have (or what are on the horizon) for being able to swap out the stock camera for a GoPro.

I'm assuming that there's nothing available to make it work with the 3 axis gimbal provided by DJI... Ideally I'd like to have a setup that allows for a reasonably quick swap. The thought is to use the stock camera (with its raw image capability) for stills, but use a GoPro for video. Being able to swap these back and forth using DJI's gimbal would really be perfect.

Not an option but you could just buy the phantom 2 with 3 axis gimbal for $959 and an inexpensive FPV system and use your current gopro.

Ksc said:
Not an option but you could just buy the phantom 2 with 3 axis gimbal for $959 and an inexpensive FPV system and use your current gopro.

That's one of the other options I was considering, but I don't think I'm headed in that direction. Right now I've got a P2V that was purchased earlier this month. I'm not exactly thrilled with the camera quality, though it's probably "good enough" to live with until GoPro or someone else comes out with a better camera that works seamlessly with DJI's app.

I like the FPV features built in to the smartphone app of the Vision line, and the ability to control photo taking with the stock camera (and the camera's raw image capture capability). But I'm not happy with the video output, when compared to what I see from the latest GoPros.

At this point to keep my options open I'm even willing to purchase a second gimbal for the GoPro if that's what it takes. But before taking the plunge and heading off in that direction I'd like to have a feeling that some of the other gimbals that are currently on the market for the Vision (like the Tarot T-2D, or Taco) will also work with the P2V+.

The P2v+ is a complete unit and not meant to be modified. The telemetry will not work with any any other camera or gimbal, we don't even know if it will fly if you remove them.

It is pretty clear the vision and vision+ are a closed platform.

Strangely enough I was flying my pv2+ without gimble or camera this morning it seemed to be fine tho I never took it to any extremes ...as my gimble had developed a fault and my personal feeling is that the cost of a replacement is way over the top ..so I'm discovering my options there is a company that does a hot swop system for various types of cameras that also works with Dji apps ect

You can stick a Gopro mount right behind the gimbal under the battery. I was able to fly just fine with the V2+ gimbal and camera AND the Gopro and sticky mount. I didn't even have any jello in the Gopro's video. The disadvantages:

The Gopro faces the rear.
You'll be recording what you are flying away from.
You also can FPV in the direction the Gopro is recording.
No 3 axis gimbal (it's not as bad as you might think. Fly slowly and it's fine.)

The Hero4 is much better in low light, so I could see using this option in special situations where you just have to have a better camera.

Reactions: Nerius
Just what the topic says... Wondering what options we have (or what are on the horizon) for being able to swap out the stock camera for a GoPro.

I'm assuming that there's nothing available to make it work with the 3 axis gimbal provided by DJI... Ideally I'd like to have a setup that allows for a reasonably quick swap. The thought is to use the stock camera (with its raw image capability) for stills, but use a GoPro for video. Being able to swap these back and forth using DJI's gimbal would really be perfect.

If money wasn't a thing then yes. There is dronexpert quick release system.
Prices are in Australian bucks.
The DE quick release is a $400 hotswap mounting system. The hot swap plates are $50-100. You will need 2.
You need to purchase a zenmuse H3-3D (gopro3) or H4-3D (gopro4) for around about $400.
You need to add gopro (I wouldn't factor this in as a cost as you can utilise it somewhere else).
Now that's pretty expensive to improve aerial footage.

I would save my nickels and get a P3A. more range and does DNG and takes nice 1080p@60fps out of the box.
I would also wait and watch the increasing bitrate thread. If they can increase to 20-24mbs then the P2Vplus bit rate would be on par with Gopro 1080p@30fps.
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/vision-camera-and-and-possibility-to-edit-bitrate.46343/page-3

The P2v+ is a complete unit and not meant to be modified. The telemetry will not work with any any other camera or gimbal, we don't even know if it will fly if you remove them.

It is pretty clear the vision and vision+ are a closed platform.
That is not true.
There are a lot of people using 3rd party gimbals with gopros and getting telemetry and image from the bird and gopro in their phones.
start here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2213815&page=17

Macsoft is correct ..many of my flying buddies here in the UK have removed the v2+ camera and installed 3rd party systems with great results .I myself am using a walkera / go pro / litchi system on mine and feel a lot more comfortable flying knowing that if I do have a heavy landing I'm not going to be paying out £500 + for a new camera system . Flying my bird gives me great pleasure and so does tinkering with the mechanics of it .....isn't that what the hobby is about ..below is a shot with v2+ using a 3year go pro 1 and walkera g2 and litchi app
image.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik