Mounting GPS tracker

Reaction score
Just got my TK tracker. Pretty easy to set up and it took me within about 10 feet of where I put it to test it. I mounted it by Velcro under battery right behind the Gimble where the QR code is. I used a zip tie to tether it to landing gear. It came with 2 covers. One was flat and the other was identical but had 2 circles on it which I assume were magnets. I used the one without circles. My question is if this is a safe place to mount it that won't interfere with compass.

hello,
These locations seem to work:
1) belly of phantom
2) leg WITHOUT compass
3) flat between legs ( Shapeways ) has this mount.

Beware mounting belly , use GOOD GRADE VELCRO,
I origionally mounted my first tracker there, until
It fell to its death ( Velcro ) failed, my fault.
Now I made a saddlebag for mine:

Pic:
CBCA51EB-0CDD-4500-8A87-C71CA168EE89_zpsvqj0uptv.jpg

Take care, fly safe!
J Dot

I had my little one in the same place until the RPG took over that space. It worked in that location. Now on left front leg.
I think I read somewhere that you should do another compass dance routine before your next flight.
Hope you never have to use it.

My RF-V16 tracker is velcroed to the front of the quad above the USB port.

Compass calibration needs to be done rarely in my experience, but I would always do it when adding to, moving or taking away kit from the quad.

Gotcha. I gave it a test flight today. It was too windy so I didn't really get a chance to get much air time. Quad seemed a little off balance at first but it corrected itself after a minute or so.

Last edited:
ccase39 said:
Just got my TK tracker. Pretty easy to set up and it took me within about 10 feet of where I put it to test it. I mounted it by Velcro under battery right behind the Gimble where the QR code is. I used a zip tie to tether it to landing gear. It came with 2 covers. One was flat and the other was identical but had 2 circles on it which I assume were magnets. I used the one without circles. My question is if this is a safe place to mount it that won't interfere with compass.
You assumed correctly on the magnets ! Now throw it somewhere so you will not accidently use it !!!!! ;)

dirkclod said:
ccase39 said:
You assumed correctly on the magnets ! Now throw it somewhere so you will not accidently use it !!!!! ;)
Done! Thanks for all your help dude!

In reference to the compass calibration every flight I thought I read that DJI does not recommend you do it every flight. Only when in a new area or you come in contact with a magnetic field. Is this true?

I always do one after I do an full calibration in assistant and I don't never do one when I go somewhere else to fly but I only fly in my local area . Say maybe a 50 mile circle .
Have only had the magnetic issue a few times but it showed on my app screen I had a problem .
I do try to check my HL every time I fly though and if it comes back towards me I assume all is ok . If it don't then I do one and check HL again .
Just how I do it .

J Dot said:
hello,
These locations seem to work:
1) belly of phantom
2) leg WITHOUT compass
3) flat between legs ( Shapeways ) has this mount.

Beware mounting belly , use GOOD GRADE VELCRO,
I origionally mounted my first tracker there, until
It fell to its death ( Velcro ) failed, my fault.
Now I made a saddlebag for mine:

Pic:
CBCA51EB-0CDD-4500-8A87-C71CA168EE89_zpsvqj0uptv.jpg

Take care, fly safe!
J Dot
Does covering the antenna like that cause any difference in flight?

I am researching trackers - is the RF-V16 commonly used? I think I read that the instructions were difficult to understand...

edonovanl said:
I am researching trackers - is the RF-V16 commonly used? I think I read that the instructions were difficult to understand...
I believe so, but watch out for clones.

edonovanl said:
Some have reported problems with them and some without problems. The manual in mine is not the best, but I think anyone would be able to understand just what they were telling you. Mine works very well. As with any device: YMMV

I moved my gimbal forward and mounted the TK102-2 tracker on the top of the gimbal plate.
120htvm.jpg

This gives a stable mount and it is unlikely to part company in a crash either :)

edonovanl said:
I couldn't ever figure mine out. Bought the TK instead. There weren't really any tutorials out there for RF.

Hello,
The bag is just shy of the antenna, but no issues yet!
I did notice the left 2 motors ( left front, left rear )
We're a bit warmer than right two, but not a huge
Difference! I works great for me, and mine won't fall
Off in a crash, like Velcro! Just a thought!

Take care, fly responsibly!
J Dot

If you mount it on a flat surface, 3M adhesive squares, available at Wally World, are great! I've use them for many uses and none have failed. If you mount it on a landing gear (not the compass one) a zip tie mount works great. Stick the adhesive to the tracker and use a zip tie that goes through the two loops and around the leg.

These are available from sources, such as Newark Electronics. You will probably have to buy more than one, but you will find many uses for them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31