Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Mounting GoPro camera underneath existing camera.

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision + Discussion' started by Serpent, Oct 5, 2014.

1. Serpent

Hi,
    I was wondering with the new GoPro cameras being released, is it possible to mount one of these underneath the existing camera?
    Would the gimbal support the weight (about 75g) of an additional camera?
    Regards,
    Serpent

2. harbourside

Not to the gimbal, its a precision instrument and exactly balanced to the FC200 camera.

3. Serpent

Anyone know the weight limit spec. of the PV2+ gimbal?

4. Meta4

Meta4 Moderator
    Staff Member

The P2+ camera and gimbal are very light and the weight limit is not going to be much more than what it is already at.
    If you want to gimbal mount a Gopro you will have to get a machine designed for one.

5. rbhamilton

The GoPro is really light and the drone has lots of lift so that won't be an issue. The big problem will be where to mount it. Don't attach the GoPro to the existing camera or on the existing gimbal - those things are super flimsy and the motors are way too weak to haul around another camera. But if you can think of a place on one of the landing struts that doesn't unbalance the drone or maybe even the top of the drone out of the way of the rotors you might be OK. You could remove the existing camera and gimbal entirely and rig up a fixed mount somehow under the drone.

Personally I think I'd just get the proper Phantom for the GoPro if that's the camera you want.