Mounting GoPro 2 to Phantom 2. How?

Reaction score
The mounting holes appear that they are different between the P1 vs the P2 according to the drawings in the owner's manuals. Is there anyway to mount a GoPro 2 to a P2 as it appears the standard camera mount from a P1 won't line up with the P2 holes?

I guess I should have tried calling the California office one more time. Of course they picked up right after I posted the question above.

There currently is no way to mount a GoPro 2 to a P2. The static mount from the P1 will not mount to a P2 and the H3-2D gimbal is only calibrated for the GoPro 3.

Although, it looks like a homemade mount shouldn't be too difficult to fab up. I just want to be able to get some flight time in with my Hero 2 until I get a Hero 3.

hello

There currently is no way to mount a GoPro 2 to a P2. The static mount from the P1 will not mount to a P2 and the H3-2D gimbal is only calibrated for the GoPro 3.

what does the above actually mean ? calibrated?
can someone plug the hero2 on the zenmuse or not? Anyone tried?

the zenmuse will only work on the hero 3 and hero 3+. that is it.
you can buy an aftermarket hero 2 gimbal or a hero 3.

Ksc said:
the zenmuse will only work on the hero 3 and hero 3+. that is it.
you can buy an aftermarket hero 2 gimbal or a hero 3.

Are gimbals model specific? Or will the mounting plates fit an array of models? Reason I ask is, the mounting holes under a P1 are different than a P2. If a gimbal specifically bolts to a P1, it's not going to fit a P2.

Mr Mufakka said:
The mounting holes appear that they are different between the P1 vs the P2 according to the drawings in the owner's manuals. Is there anyway to mount a GoPro 2 to a P2 as it appears the standard camera mount from a P1 won't line up with the P2 holes?
So What i did was i took the go pro mount for the p1 and made my own holes. Its just plastic, so you can definitely make it work.

rcphoto said:
Mr Mufakka said:
So What i did was i took the go pro mount for the p1 and made my own holes. Its just plastic, so you can definitely make it work.

Good to know. I just realized the anti-jello mount I ordered is coming on a slow boat from China. Not scheduled to be here until the end of the month. Maybe I'll try that.

the zenmuse that is sold by itself, not with the phantom 2, is really meant to work on the phantom 1/450/550 but can work on a phantom 2. I have a stand alone zenmuse on my phantom 2 right now. The zenmuse that is sold with the phantom 2 only works with the phantom 2. The reason is because it doesn't have a GCU (the phantom 2 has it built in) and the hole pattern doesn't fit anything else.

as far as the little white plastic gopro mount, there is nothing special there. You can make new holes for it. Personally I would use an actual gopro double stick tape mount instead. I think it will be strong than the plastic one with holes in it.

As far as aftermarket gimbals working on a P2, most of them do not line up with the P2. A lot of people are making mounting plates for them but I haven't seen any yet. Although if you buy a P2 and want a gimbal, get the P2 with zenmuse package. Its plug and play and for under $200 more, you can get a better 2 axis gimbal than that. If you want a 3 axis gimbal, you will need a new mount anyways because they are taller and so far none fit under the P2.

Ksc said:
Although if you buy a P2 and want a gimbal, get the P2 with zenmuse package. Its plug and play and for under $200 more, you can get a better 2 axis gimbal than that. If you want a 3 axis gimbal, you will need a new mount anyways because they are taller and so far none fit under the P2.

Sorry, I'm still getting the lay of the land. Can you link the gimbal you are talking about for the P2?

The zenmuse comes with the new P2. Well its an option on the new P2.

I don't like UAVproducts but the links are easy so:
P2: http://www.uavproducts.com/product.php?id_product=244
P2 with zenmuse: http://www.uavproducts.com/product.php?id_product=245
the P2 zenmuse by itself: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1 ... tom_2.html

the 3 axis do not fit directly to the P2 but if you have a P1, they make a mounting plate for it
one of a few 3 axis gimbals: http://www.hobby-wing.com/arris-cm3000- ... imbal.html

this one fits directly on the P1 but I'm not sure about the P2. If you are going with a 2 axis, you might as well spend the extra money to get the P2 with zenmuse package and buy a Hero 3. The video quality of the hero 3 is better and the zenmuse is better.
one of a few gopro 2 gimbals: http://www.hobby-wing.com/arris-cm2000- ... imbal.html

Probably another rookie question but it seems the zenmuse gimbal for the p2 is a lot more than others. I thought that was one of the advantages of the p2, easier and therefore cheaper to add accessories to?

Well back in the day a Honda civic was easy to soup up and make into a rice burner. People would put $30k in add ons into a $20k car. Just because the platform is designed to be easy to add upgrades doesn't make the upgrades affordable

The zenmuse is expensive because it says DJI on it. It is very similar to Lexus and Toyota. You can buy a Toyota and not break the bank or spend an arm and a leg on a Lexus. For the most part the two cars are identical but one is a little nicer and also has the prestige factor. You can buy the Toyota of gimbals (goodluckbuy or tarot) or you can get the Lexus of gimbals (zenmuse). Personally I think the zenmuse is pretty nice. So much so that I bought it when it was $679. The current price with it packaged with the P2 makes it a no brainer. You won't lose money on it anytime soon. (As long as they don't come out with a brand new one tomorrow).

The other nice part of the zenmuse is its plug and play on the P2. You screw it in and connect the cable and you're flying. Others require soldering and splicing and then have cables coming out of the gopro to your FPV. Get the P2 with zenmuse, a fat shark system (or monitor if you like that better), and the mini iosd and call it a day.

I ordered 2 different 3 axis gimbals for mine but currently none are plug and play. I'll have to find a way to make one fit and get it all working on my own. I would still suggest buying the zenmuse P2 if you know you want a 3 axis gimbal. Reason being that you can sell the zenmuse at no loss when you are ready to switch and because it's smarter to wait for folks to like me to try a 3 axis and report back what is needed to be done to get it to work. Aka for it to get out of beta testing.

To fully answer your question, you can buy a gimbal for $90 on goodluckbuy which I've done. Or for $100 more you can get the zenmuse in the package. In my opinion, the $100 difference is worth every penny. If you want a never used $90 gimbal, I'll sell you mine. You won't be pleased with it. It's going to end up on my P1 that I never fly.

Unfortunately, I've already purchased (and flown a few times) the P2 w/o the gimbal. Looking back, you definitely get a discount buying the P2 WITH the gimbal ($869) vs buying without and adding it later ($679 + $369 = $1048). I guess since it's SUCH a price difference that I was assuming/hoping that I was missing something, haha.

Thanks for your replies btw. I'm slowly but surely starting to understand all the pieces.

who did you buy it from? the zenmuse comes in a separate box so perhaps they could charge you the difference and just send you the zenmuse. worth asking.

Amazon unfortunately.

I don't really need one (gimbal) any time soon to be honest. I'm still learning the ins and outs of just flying it. I'd like to at least static mount a gopro to it just for fun but I definitely want to start adding pieces down the road. I'm assuming adding a FPV system before a zenmuse is probably the way to go? Seems like you'd just be guessing without a FPV.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic