Mounting downlink to the Phantom

Reaction score
I searched all the youtubes on this with no luck. I am setting the Phantom up with the 5.8 video downlink. so far i have to modify the cables for the TX to work with the GoPro 3 and battery connection to power this thing up. what is the best location for the Tx and antenna? with the downlink they gave me a aluminum bracket that fits nowhere on the Phantom. I know the parts have to be balanced. So do I put it under the belly, antenna facing down. Or do I put it on the top antenna facing up?
Taping the power for the TX where is a good place to tap in? pictures would work great.
sorry for all the questions but I am getting frustrated with the lack of directions that come with this product.
thanks for listening/reading
Dennis

denkopf said:
I searched all the youtubes on this with no luck. I am setting the Phantom up with the 5.8 video downlink. so far i have to modify the cables for the TX to work with the GoPro 3 and battery connection to power this thing up. what is the best location for the Tx and antenna? with the downlink they gave me a aluminum bracket that fits nowhere on the Phantom. I know the parts have to be balanced. So do I put it under the belly, antenna facing down. Or do I put it on the top antenna facing up?
Taping the power for the TX where is a good place to tap in? pictures would work great.
sorry for all the questions but I am getting frustrated with the lack of directions that come with this product.
thanks for listening/reading
Dennis

Make sure you have the upgrade board, which should have came with a 3-wired cable (with 5 pins) Red/Yellow/Brown -
and with that you use the yellow and brown wires for video and ground connection (unless you have a Phantom 2).
Search 5.8 TX Phantom Installation on Youtube, you should find MULTIPLE videos :D
Don't start your gimbal without your GoPro on it, ever!

Also, in regards to placement - the TX fits nicely right underneath the Phantom body, in the underbelly between the landing gear. Wiggle around your Rx and Tx, because it really varies I've found. You're antennas are probably going to work better in different positions than others, so just troubleshoot!

THANKS for the reply, I am not sure what you mean by upgrade board? the AVL 58 Downlink kit just came with the TX,Rx, clover lief antennas and cables. which on the TX side fits (cables) the TX but not the GoPro3 or the Phantom power. Also the bracket to hang the TX does not fit anything on the Phantom, it is an aluminum plate with a loop that is suppose to go around something. the loop is the part that will not fit on anything. unless I get an tube and tie it to the two legs of the Phantom.
Like I said I just ticks me off that I have to modify everything to work. both units are DJI. I can get everything to work it's just a pain in the azz. :twisted:
thanks for your time
Dennis

I was just wondering if you had a Phantom 1 or Phantom 2...I think that number you mentioned means you have a 1.1.1, but I'm not sure.

If it is a Phantom 1, you should have an auxiliary power lead coming out one of the holes in the body at the base of each arm, it'll be a grey + red cable that can provide power directly to the AVL58 transmitter.

The way you get the video feed just depends on your camera/mount...are you using the Zenmuse gimbal, or..?

Thanks, I am not sure if it a 1 or 2 it says nothing on the box or manual. anyone on this??
There are wires but it looks like they are cut flush, I will see if I can pull them through without pulling the top off..
just crazy :shock:
thanks
dennis

denkopf said:
Thanks, I am not sure if it a 1 or 2 it says nothing on the box or manual. anyone on this??
There are wires but it looks like they are cut flush, I will see if I can pull them through without pulling the top off..
just crazy :shock:
thanks
dennis

If you can only use the DJI battery with lights on the end of its housing, it's a P2. If you can use batteries of your choice, it's a P1.

The aux power lead on a P1 just peeks out of the hole in the shell, and it is cut flush (no connector attached). You should be able to grab the end and pull it out a few inches at least.

Ok it's V 1.1.1 on the end of the battery housing there are no lights if you mean on the battery itself. if you mean the phantom body the end has the round light. the battery connection, if you are looking at it face on it looks like a bird house with two round female connectors one over the other. wish I could add photo. the two wires are there but they are recessed so I have to open her up.
thanks for working with me on this.
dennis

No problem! And yes it sounds like you have a v1.1.1

If the aux lead isn't exposed enough that you can get it then yeah you'll need to open up the Phantom (which is no big deal as long as you're careful). The aux power lead is soldered to the main board inside the Phantom right next to where the main battery leads are connected.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31