Mounting a Hero 3

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Phantom 1.1.1 and a Gopro Hero 3 Black, and was wondering if I would need an anti-vibration mount. My first videos were done with the standard camera mount at 1080/60fps and I experienced the jello effect. Then I balanced the props, used the Gopro waterproof case and turned Protune on. The second set of videos look good (no jello).

I suspect that the biggest improvement is due to the sturdier camera mount and balancing the props. I really don't like the flimsy stock mount, and the fact that it was designed for a Hero 2 doesn't help. I used some dense foam to fit the Hero 3 securely in the mount, but the whole mount is just too free to move around. I'm sure that the waterproof skeleton case helped a lot.

Has anyone has tried other camera mounts successfully? I've ordered an FPV set up and will need need to plug an A/V cable into the camera, so using the waterproof skeleton case isn't an option unless I want to drill a hole in it. Has anyone tried Gopro's "The Frame"? It looks more sturdy than the stock Phantom mount. Another option is a non-waterproof skeleton case. I see them listed on eBay. They come without the lens cover and have a opening on the side for a cable. I'll probably end up ordering an anti-vibration mount but still don't want to use the standard camera mount. What else is available that works well?

Joe

Anyone?

The skeleton case seems to work (no jello), but it is heavy and I hate to ruin its waterproof capability by drilling a hole in it. I was thinking of this mount http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alloy-Carbon-Si ... 3a89370c49

It's all metal and carbonfiber, plus it's made for the Hero 3 or 3+. At 27 gm. it's pretty light. Has anyone tried this one?

I'm thinking of ordering it. If there is still a slight jello effect then I'll get an anti vibration mount to use with it. I'm waiting for the weather to improve before doing any more filming.

Joe

I've tried the Skeleton and the Frame both with the stock Phantom 1 GoPro hinge. Had a rough landing with the Frame and bent the battery door of the GoPro. Videos were so so. I ended up adding a vibration isolating base place with rubber dampers, but still used the Skeleton case for the GoPro. I worry so much about damaging the GoPro lens.

I recently have purchased a clear protective lens cap that fits on the GoPro lens. I haven't, but will, fly without the Skeleton case and use the Frame with the isolating base plate. Should help with vibrations and reduce weight to get back some lost flying time.

In my opinion, you need to reduce weight removing whatever case off of the GoPro, use a light weight camera bracket and use a vibration isolating baseplate. This will increase flying time and improve video quality.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic