Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Mounting a GoPro on an FC40

Discussion in 'Phantom FC40 Discussion' started by twoglom, Apr 2, 2014.

1. twoglom

Somewhat of an FYI for people that are gearing out their quads piece by piece...you can attach a GoPro to the underside of the quad with the included mounts with virtually no vibration. I was pretty amazed. Using the GoPro app with an iPhone is great, except when recording; it doesn't allow you a real time view. It's a HUGE upgrade from the stock camera so I would highly recommend it. Just thought I'd potentially help some folks out!

2. BALDYIAN

Aside from using the App. Would it not be more beneficial to just get a P2 with or without a H3-2D Gimbal, use a GoPro and benefit from extended flight times and range over a FC40 :?:

Plus all models differ regarding Vibration, which is why the Jello mounts etc came out in the first place, to compensate for this.

Ian

3. ericdes

Calculate the initial price difference, plus extra battery price.

Is that amount worth the extra flight time?

Now add Phantom 2 props, and mad dog or similar rated batteries on the FC40. You are now around 10 minute flight time.

I believe dslrpros has a comparison about the Phantom 1 and 2, with battery charge times, etc..

4. BMc

BMc

My rather heavily modded FC40 just finally hit $1000 total. I already had the GoPro Hero2 however if I didn't I would be at $1300. Even at $1300, I still have a far more capable bird than the P2V. By a long shot. That said, I kinda wish I would started with a F450 just because it's easier to modify.

There is a high probability I will yank the Naza M V2 out of my phantom and build an F450 with all the gear and run 2.4 GHz for the RC control to free up the 5.8 for a 2w FPV kit. I will have a hard time buying a whole new Naza system. Who knows, it could also be nice to have a completely stock FC40 to toy around with on the side.

Here is my build list:
    [​IMG]

Cheers!

5. ericdes

How much does it weigh??

6. BMc

BMc

It's a tank. I haven't weighed in its current state however it is about 3 pounds, plus or minus 150 grams. With two batteries it still flies for about 8 minutes but with a single battery it will go about 6.5. I have gone back to flying it with a single battery just because I get way more total flight time. It is borderline too heavy with two batteries however it flys just fine.

I am just trying to decide on whether to do an F450 or an F550 next. I will never be hauling more than a gimbaled gopro and an fpv Tx so a 550 may be overkill.

7. ericdes

I don't know if this is a factor to you but think about portability.

I needed something I can easily carry in a backpack if required, the Phantom fits the bill. Apart from that it lives in its case, which is also quite compact considering what I am carrying. When I carry it in its case somewhere I usually dont' stand out that much in the crowd, yeah its not a briefcase but it's still maneuverable. Even biking carrying it in its backpack. No problems

8. rustysd

Yes.

You'll end up spending the same amount of money and wasting so much time upgrading your fc40 to do what a P2 can do in the first place.

9. BMc

BMc

Yes, yes you will. On the other hand, you will learn a ton along the way and have no problem building an F550 from scratch and saving loads of money on the next toy. :ugeek: