Motors Surging in Flight! Help!?

Reaction score
Alright guys, my P3A was flying an autonomous mapping mission earlier today. After it finished the mission and was returning to me, when it got closer I could noticeably hear that the motors were reving up and down. When I could see it clearly, they were surging enough to cause some very erratic flight. Once it arrived overhead I quickly switched it from "F" to "P", took over and landed quickly and safely.

I uploaded the flight file to healthy drones and on the leg home you can see where the battery volts/amps were surging up into the 15/20 range then back down below 15.

Anyone have any idea what was going on and what I need to do going forward???
Thanks!

The only thing I can think of is an ESC issue, which will cause motor speed issues :(

Can you post the link to HD?

Try this.... I'm not at home yet so I'm on my cell.
HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters

The P3 was in an autonomous mapping missions using the Map Pilot from Maps Made Easy.
The entire flight did fine until it finished and headed home.

However the mapping mission didn't do well either due to the camera losing connection somehow.

Yes the link worked fine. Don't see anything really abnormal in HD. The fact the amperage was changing is not necessary an indication of a problem.

The Guru's (not me :)) are going to need the .Dat file off the bird itself in order to see what was really happening. You'll need to upload the .dat file to Dropbox or... as the .dat file is too large to upload here, then share the link to the file.
Here is how to get the .dat file off your Phantom using a Windows based computer.
http://support.dronesmadeeasy.com/h...t-Data-Log-Viewer-DJI-Phantom-3-and-Inspire-1

Thank you! I will check that out when I get home... hopefully those said "gurus" will chime in!

Thank you! I will check that out when I get home... hopefully those said "gurus" will chime in!
Your welcome.
That's the reason I'm doing the leg work for them so the .dat file will be available and ready for them to analyze. Those .dat files have an amazing amount of datA in them!
They are great guys, trouble shooting and helping others is in their blood :)

Yes the link worked fine. Don't see anything really abnormal in HD. The fact the amperage was changing is not necessary an indication of a problem.

The Guru's (not me :)) are going to need the .Dat file off the bird itself in order to see what was really happening. You'll need to upload the .dat file to Dropbox or... as the .dat file is too large to upload here, then share the link to the file.
Here is how to get the .dat file off your Phantom using a Windows based computer.
http://support.dronesmadeeasy.com/h...t-Data-Log-Viewer-DJI-Phantom-3-and-Inspire-1
OK, I've got the DAT file from the flight today downloaded to my comp. I don't have a Dropbox account. Is there another way I can share it with you guys?

OK, I've got the DAT file from the flight today downloaded to my comp. I don't have a Dropbox account. Is there another way I can share it with you guys?

dropbox is nearly a must have these days. You should install it on your pc and then place the DAT in the Public folder and right click on it and copy the public link and post it here. I will download it and look it over for you.

I'm uploading it to my Google Drive account now... Maybe I can send it that way to someone who can diagnose it?

dropbox is nearly a must have these days. You should install it on your pc and then place the DAT in the Public folder and right click on it and copy the public link and post it here. I will download it and look it over for you.
Yeah, I've just never had to use is and didn't realize you have to pay for it.. Can I email to you with a link to get to it from my google drive?

The basic option is free.

*Edit: don't install the business dropbox. You need Individual. Install - Dropbox

I'm uploading it to my Google Drive account now... Maybe I can send it that way to someone who can diagnose it?

Btw, I will give you the heads up on what you mentioned above. There is just a few of us that diagnose Flight logs as it takes 1-2+hrs in most cases.

Btw, I will give you the heads up on what you mentioned above. There is just a few of us that diagnose Flight logs as it takes 1-2+hrs in most cases.
That's no problem and I really appreciate it. My stomach was in my throat the whole time it was doing it, and I'd just really like to know what you can find happened. The DAT file is syncing with the dropbox now

That's no problem and I really appreciate it. My stomach was in my throat the whole time it was doing it, and I'd just really like to know what you can find happened. The DAT file is syncing with the dropbox now

When you get the link post it here.....

Excellent, I see flyNfrank is helping you :)

If your at all curious at to what data is contained in those .dat files you can download one of the tools they use call Datcon DatFile.net

Hope you get some resolution.
So do I! I appreciate all of your help as well!
I just want to know what went on before I take it out and fly again.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4