Motors Oiled?

I can't recall the manual saying to do so. Also many bushing style bearings(Which I assume they are) are self lubricating. (Perhaps they have roller bearings i'm not sure)

I've seen topics where they discuss oiling them, but they only cost like 25 bucks a pop, and I already have 4 replacements on hand.

Yeah, I don't like the idea of being without my Phantom while waiting for motors to arrive. I guess that sounds pretty bad....I'm a junky :(

DJI does not state it anywhere to oil motors, but alot of experienced folks in RC do. I use this on average once a month or every 20 flights - cheap insurance. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0032H ... UTF8&psc=1

After using it you can tell a difference in sound of motors.

CarlJ said:
I've seen topics where they discuss oiling them, but they only cost like 25 bucks a pop, and I already have 4 replacements on hand.

Yeah, I don't like the idea of being without my Phantom while waiting for motors to arrive. I guess that sounds pretty bad....I'm a junky :(

How do you know when to change the motors?

After flying say 10 mins, motors should be slightly warm to the touch. If one is warmer than the rest - keep an eye on it. Other tell tale signs are noise and drifting to one corner or strange yaw movements. IE: when yawing one of the corners dips instead of rotating Phantom.

A couple of drops from the top and let it soak down. (It has the consistency of mineral oil - fairly thin) On one of my P 1.5s and my Kong I made small access holes from the bottom to apply oil there also. But it seems to make no difference as compared to my basic Phantom - they get lubed and all's good. As mentioned - they sound and seem to run smoother after a couple of treatments.

EMCSQUAR said:
After flying say 10 mins, motors should be slightly warm to the touch. If one is warmer than the rest - keep an eye on it. Other tell tale signs are noise and drifting to one corner or strange yaw movements. IE: when yawing one of the corners dips instead of rotating Phantom.

Thanks, good info....

EMCSQUAR said:
A couple of drops from the top and let it soak down. (It has the consistency of mineral oil - fairly thin) On one of my P 1.5s and my Kong I made small access holes from the bottom to apply oil there also. But it seems to make no difference as compared to my basic Phantom - they get lubed and all's good. As mentioned - they sound and seem to run smoother after a couple of treatments.

Whereabouts on top? At the shaft? Do you need to be very cautious not to get oil on the windings ?

Thanks...
-slinger

gunslinger said:
EMCSQUAR said:

Whereabouts on top? At the shaft? Do you need to be very cautious not to get oil on the windings ?

Thanks...
-slinger

^ That was my next question.

Phantom_Menace66 said:
Wouldn't the oil get flung all over the place and eventually seep into the Phantom body making a hell of a mess?

As long as you use a bearing oil that is plastic friendly like Labelle 108 or similar it isn't an issue.

I have been flying RC heli's for years and have always routinely oiled my bearing and have NEVER had a bearing fail on me.

The Editor said:
Phantom_Menace66 said:
Wouldn't the oil get flung all over the place and eventually seep into the Phantom body making a hell of a mess?

As long as you use a bearing oil that is plastic friendly like Labelle 108 or similar it isn't an issue.

I have been flying RC heli's for years and have always routinely oiled my bearing and have NEVER had a bearing fail on me.

Cool...

Where, exactly would you oil the bearings on a Phantom? Thanks for your advice on this subject as I intend to oil mine as well... as soon as you tell me how... :D

Thanks...
-slinger

gunslinger said:
The Editor said:
Phantom_Menace66 said:

Cool...

Where, exactly would you oil the bearings on a Phantom? Thanks for your advice on this subject as I intend to oil mine as well... as soon as you tell me how... :D

Thanks...
-slinger

Put one or two drops of oil on the bearing cover itself. (The bearings have shrouds on and are closed bearings but the oil will work it's way down to the race itself and do its stuff). Then rotate the motor by hand for 30 seconds or so to allow the oil to work in. You will have to undo the four screws securing each motor on the Phantom to oil the bottom bearings which is a bit of a PITA buy heho.

I usually just idle the motors for around 10 seconds once I have done this - ***WARNING ON THIS THOUGH...

DO NOT LET YOUR MOTORS IDLE FOR MORE THAN 20 SECONDS *** If you do and you have ARP turned on in Naza your craft will go into failsafe and you REALLY don't want that in your lounge or workshop !!!!! :shock:

As long as you use a good quality plastic friendly oil, don't get hung up on splatter onto the bell housings or windings - it will not do any damage.

Remember.... less is more so one or two drops per bearing around every 20 - 30 flights is fine.

Also, the life of these bearings is around 60 hours.... maybe 80 with great care. Then they WILL need replacing.

The Editor said:
gunslinger said:
The Editor said:
Cool...

Thanks...
-slinger

Put one or two drops of oil on the bearing cover itself. (The bearings have shrouds on and are closed bearings but the oil will work it's way down to the race itself and do its stuff). Then rotate the motor by hand for 30 seconds or so to allow the oil to work in. You will have to undo the four screws securing each motor on the Phantom to oil the bottom bearings which is a bit of a PITA buy heho.

I usually just idle the motors for around 10 seconds once I have done this - ***WARNING ON THIS THOUGH...

DO NOT LET YOUR MOTORS IDLE FOR MORE THAN 20 SECONDS *** If you do and you have ARP turned on in Naza your craft will go into failsafe and you REALLY don't want that in your lounge or workshop !!!!! :shock:

As long as you use a good quality plastic friendly oil, don't get hung up on splatter onto the bell housings or windings - it will not do any damage.

Remember.... less is more so one or two drops per bearing around every 20 - 30 flights is fine.

Also, the life of these bearings is around 60 hours.... maybe 80 with great care. Then they WILL need replacing.

So... approximately 200 average length flights...

When replacing motors, would you suggest just re-soldering or adding bullet connectors to take the pain out of the next replacement... ?

Thanks again for some great advice...
-slinger

gunslinger said:

When replacing motors, would you suggest just re-soldering or adding bullet connectors to take the pain out of the next replacement... ?

-slinger

Your motors will not need replacing - just the bearings. Simple job and requires no soldering etc. Outrunner brushless motors should pretty much last forever with olny routine lubrication and bearing replacement at the required intervals.
Of course should you have a crash... that's a different matter :?

The Editor said:
gunslinger said:

-slinger

Your motors will not need replacing - just the bearings. Simple job and requires no soldering etc. Outrunner brushless motors should pretty much last forever with olny routine lubrication and bearing replacement at the required intervals.
Of course should you have a crash... that's a different matter :?
Awesome... I'm off to buy some oil... :D

I have noticed that the bearings on a new phantom seem bumpy and rough on the rotation. However, after a couple of 25 + minutes of flight the motors really get smooth and spin freely.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31