Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Motors burn out?

Discussion in 'Standard/4k Discussion' started by Dephusable, May 3, 2016.

1. Dephusable

I just ordered a phantom 3 standard and was wondering how reliable the motors are. In the past few drones that I bought the motors burned out very easily and was wondering if the p3s motors are strong.

2. sandman259

There brushless...they last a looooong time....

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

3. flpholt

4. Prairie Pyro

Phantom motors are not toy grade. With a bit of care they should run a very long time.

5. NM_Quad

Between my P2V+ and P3S, I've only had one motor problem that also blew the ESC board. My fault. Got some sand in it upon landing (another reason I now hand catch). They are brushless motors, wound with a continuous string of wire, operated by electrically rotating a magnetic field to make the motor turn. Almost nothing to go wrong. If you're having a motor problem, likely fault is the ESC board or driver(s). Swap out the motor with the one on the adjacent arm (that is, swap the CW motors, or the CCW motors). If the same motor still doesn't spin right, probably a bad motor. If the swapped motor doesn't spin right in the same arm as before, then an electrical problem. Keep dirt out of them and prevent a tip-over on landing and they should last a long, long time.

6. Dephusable

Ok thanks, seems like the p3s's motors will last a long time with proper care

7. HIGHFLIER

The other day my 1 week old phantoms 1 motor stopped spinning like it was told to or something. It did a flip and hit the ground. 3 motors were spinning and i could not stop them untill i pulled the battery.

Hasn't happened since... not sure what to make of it.