Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Motors and ESCs or Just Motors

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision Help' started by JackoMyers, Jan 13, 2016.

1. JackoMyers

Hi guys, I'm just in the process of diagnosing a problem with my dads P2V that he's bought 2nd hand.

I think I've got to the bottom the root cause but just wanted to get the opinion of others before I start switching out parts.

All 4 prop motors are non functioning at the moment. 2 opposing motors are twitching and the other two are for want of a better term dead.

It's my assumption that the seller screwed in the prop guard screws and pooched the windings.

The main question is this:
    It is possible for the ESCs to be faulty in regards of controlling the motors if the LEDs are still lighting up?

I guess I'll soon find out for myself but wanted to gauge other people's thoughts.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

2. J Dot

I went through same gimmick, bought a NON working P2v, for $200, said bad esc?

Turned out ( prop guard screws no prop guards ) I did run a diagnostic!

First you'll need to know which version esc you have ( 2.0 older models , or 2.1 newer models )
    If 2.0, you can go back stock or upgrade to 2.1 with newer 2213 motors!
    ( if this is the case and you want to UPGRADE )
    Only 1 choice ( buy all 4 new esc and motors )
    Ok
    If already 2.1 or want to keep 2.0

You know you need motors, so order them first!
    Now cut all you old motors loose from esc's ( at motor housing, leave as long a tail as possible on the esc's ) motors are junk anyway! Keep the bells! Throw the bases away!

Ok
    When new motors arrive, take 1 motor, strip back wires on only 1 esc at a time ( so they don't short out )
    DO NOT CUT OR ALTER NEW MOTOR WIRES , strip it a tiny bit if needed, now take 3 alligator clips ( roach clip ) and clip the wires together ( color to color ) red to red, yellow to yellow, ect.

Hang onto motor or place 1 screw to hold it. NO PROPs! Now turn on phantom and test esc you have hooked up, do this on each esc ( mark the bad ones for removal. ) they will work or won't work, some might TWITCH back and forth, that is also BAD! Then purchase what you need!

That is what I did, as well as tested all voltage with multimeter, to see if main board was bad!

Mine
    Had 3 bad esc's, 4 bad motors!
    ( but in all honesty, I replaced all 4, they only $15 each! Plus I had 3 bad! Why not! If 1 or 2 were bad, I'd have only replaced the bad ones! My 2 cents!

Hope this helps, and would be happy to lend advice or assistance if needed! Good luck!

J Dot

I did a full build once, built a complete p2v out of spare parts! Even had to hand make some items.
    Post is in p2v discussion forum
    Complete build from scratch parts 1 & 2.

Take care, Fly safe!

Mark The Droner likes this.
  3. JackoMyers

Thanks for the advice J Dot, I've got the motors on order, I'll go through it all methodical like.

I would love to say that it was bought as a spares or repairs but sadly that wasn't the case. The seller replied with "it was fine when I had it" which makes me think, if he's being honest (gotta believe the best in people!), he didn't realise the screw length when removing the prop guards for shipping out.

On the bright side though, it did come with a couple of 2axis gimbals that will come in handy *when* we get it in the air!

Thanks again and thanks for any future support I may need! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

4. J Dot

A+

J Dot

5. Mark The Droner

:p @ J Dot re "( roach clip )"

6. J Dot

Lol,
    Went OLD SCHOOL!
    :cool:

J Dot