Motors a little warm on the P2 V2

Reaction score
The motors are a little toasty and I'm getting about 12 minutes flight time before the 20% auto landing kicks in.
I have AVL58 mini, IOSD, GP3+ setup with default gain settings and stock V2 9450 props. Battery is on its 27th cycle.

My Vision+ could do about 18 minutes on the standard 9443 and the motors were never that hot.
Just a note, I flew my Vision+ in autumn, winter and spring conditions..

Just want to know if anyone else has this issue?

Thankers in advance..

Most likely bearing friction. Any noticable pitch/audible changes? Do you use oil? How many flights or hours on those motors?

I have not noticed any increased heat changes by switching to 9450's but it stands to reason that the motors might be taxed a little more during vigorous flights because of the stronger bite into air. Kind of like putting huge tires on four wheel drive without changing axle/gear ratios.

The Motors are still new and they are built for the 9450s. The battery isn't though. The new battery that came with it is faulty and wont charge because it the internal temps are showing 6000+ degrees. I'm using my Vision+ batteries while I sort out the warranty.

I've done about 1 hour flight with new P2 V2.
The 9450 It sounds and flies right and they all spin at the same rate.

Sure hope this is just a bad battery issue and not a V2.0 issue wrecking batteries. I was considering a V2.0 as a Christmas present to myself. :)

Same thing here withy my P2 v2, FPV, and Hero 4. Getting around 10-13 min flight time, and motors are quite warm after flights

I have the P2 v0.5 :lol: (v0.5 is the one that was made for the H3-2D). I notice using the 9450 props my motors run hotter than when i run them with the original 9443 props. I think it has alot to do with the 9450 being more rigid/stiff and they push more air, so it makes the motors run a little harder. Just me thoughts.

shartlza said:
I have the P2 v0.5 :lol: (v0.5 is the one that was made for the H3-2D). I notice using the 9450 props my motors run hotter than when i run them with the original 9443 props. I think it has alot to do with the 9450 being more rigid/stiff and they push more air, so it makes the motors run a little harder. Just me thoughts.
Yep I lose around 2 min. When I run the 9450's & motors are little warm compared to when I run the 9443's .

750r said:
Yep I lose around 2 min. When I run the 9450's & motors are little warm compared to when I run the 9443's .

And it sounds like you gain some responsiveness. Does that responsiveness translate to stability? If I were looking to maintain the most stable shot in the wind, do the 9450s help? Also curious about ascending/descending and yaw stability as that's when the P2 seems to suffer most from un-commanded yaw.

ianwood said:
750r said:

And it sounds like you gain some responsiveness. Does that responsiveness translate to stability? If I were looking to maintain the most stable shot in the wind, do the 9450s help? Also curious about ascending/descending and yaw stability as that's when the P2 seems to suffer most from un-commanded yaw.

Responsiveness no IMO
ON my bird the 9450's make it fly like a rock but very stable & smooth I use them when I am shooting for someone or want the best footage I can get with my setup I also drop my gains down 20-40% .
The white 9443 I use most of the time and bump the gains up 20-40% the bird is very responsive and snappy
When I fly manual I use the grey 9443
I'm also on the 1.8 software using a 2D gimbal
I have tested all the props with same gains this is how I fill about the props
Total weight 9443's white (1283g)
9443's grey (1281g)
9450's (1285g)
Everything will change couple weeks going to a 3D , T-motors(3.0) & a Taranis radio I'll be starting all over .
My P1 I think will be close to what my P2 flys like now changing it to 1.5 2D gimbal , E 300 kit with a Futaba radio

So 9450s better for filming. Hmmm. Guess I'll need to pick up a couple pairs and try them out.

ianwood said:
So 9450s better for filming. Hmmm. Guess I'll need to pick up a couple pairs and try them out.
Not sure if they are best for filming. I have noticed that i do get more slight rolling shutter with them vs. with the 9443s (with no ND filter). I think since they have less flex it is more important that they are balanced. Maybe ramping down the gains on the 9450s, like 750r said, would fix this though.

Yup.

On my P2v+ there is juuuust a touch of jello in teh video - you can barely notice it, that wasnt there with the 9443.

I also notice the motors being warmer after a long flight. Im going to try to quantify this, as im going to start recording esc temps after every flight. In my view I may just catch an ESC or motor /before/ it causes any in-flight emergency :)

I might knock the gains down - sounds like that might cure the vibration - new rubber dampers and a prop balance would likely do some good too.

djczing said:
Yup.

On my P2v+ there is juuuust a touch of jello in teh video - you can barely notice it, that wasnt there with the 9443.

I also notice the motors being warmer after a long flight. Im going to try to quantify this, as im going to start recording esc temps after every flight. In my view I may just catch an ESC or motor /before/ it causes any in-flight emergency :)

I might knock the gains down - sounds like that might cure the vibration - new rubber dampers and a prop balance would likely do some good too.
Let us know how you get along

Just got back from testing the 9443s vs. 9450 props.
Conditions: Wind: 5-15 Ambient temp: 50F and dropping (sun was setting)

3 full batterries, running a combination of race-track patterns, and ATTI fast-runs, as well as some close-in maneuvering when the batts got low.
Temps taken above the ESC vents, immediately on landing.

Flight 1: 9450 props: 52F on all 4 arms
Flight 2: 9443 props: 48F across the board
Flight 3: 9450 props: LF and RF 51F - LR and RR 48F

This was the first time id flown the 9443s and 9450s back to back. There was a markedly better response curve on teh 9450s - especially in turns (high and low speed). Interestingly, I didnt see much diff in vertical speed - but may have been perception.

Of course, the 9450s had a much lower pitch sound, and the difference in rotational speed of the props when performing maneuvers wasnt as great as the 9443s.

So I have a baseline now. Ill do the comparison again in the warm months. For now, relatively equal temps across all escs is what I want - and what I got. The third flight is interesting. I was doing alot of pretty radical turns in tight quarters before I landed it - that might account for the diff between the front arms and rear.

Another note: One of teh ESCs/motors is a replacement, and the bearings seem a bit tighter. Knowing this causes no apparent extra effort from teh ESC is comforting.

keep in mind - as the sun went down, ambient temp was dropping rather rapidly - but relatively speaking, you still see the diff in temps between the 2 prop sets

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik