Motor Upgrades

Reaction score
Is it possible to upgrade the motors in the DJI drones? P3s, Inspires, etc to make them hold up to wind better?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Phantoms are not suited for hop-up parts.

The propulsion units (motor, prop, ESC f/w) are tuned for best performance with OEM equipment.

If you're having difficulty in the wind... then it's too windy for a Phantom.

Last edited:
Phantoms are not suited for hop-up parts.

The propulsion units (motor, prop, ESC f/w) are tuned for best performance with OEM equipment.

If you're having difficulty in the wind... then it's too windy for a Phantom.

Well I notice my phantom will slide around a bit with like 2-5 mph winds sometimes hardly anything.I'm trying to get better at landing so I got a foldable table to land on and its making it difficult when it slides around.

Turn off VPS for sure that will help a lot. I keep mine off all of the time, I fly over water that will mess with it for sure and when landing on smaller landing pads.

Reactions: Bull94
Well I notice my phantom will slide around a bit with like 2-5 mph winds sometimes hardly anything.I'm trying to get better at landing so I got a foldable table to land on and its making it difficult when it slides around.
Your Phantom should hold position in 20 mph winds.
Changing motors isn't the answer.

Your Phantom should hold position in 20 mph winds.
Changing motors isn't the answer.

I always have VPS off. I did buy a prop balancer over the weekend and three of my carbon fiber props appear to be off balance quite a bit. Could this be the issue?

Why on earth do people think that turning VPS off, a system designed to help the quad hold position at low altitudes, will help stability in wind?? I always leave VPS on and she does just fine in the wind.

Why on earth do people think that turning VPS off, a system designed to help the quad hold position at low altitudes, will help stability in wind?? I always leave VPS on and she does just fine in the wind.
Because the system gets confused at times. Only at low altitudes but it can be noticeable when you least want it to be.

It is primarily for indoor use (or at least when gps doesn't work).

I've played with mine on and off before and decided to keep it on. Yes it's designed for indoor flight but it does hold its position better with less drifting in all directions with it on. Very noticeable with any breeze. I don't fly over water so that's not a issue and I always hand catch now so landing isn't a issue as well. It will land softer with it off and if that's all your looking for then ya turn it off I guess...

I always have VPS off. I did buy a prop balancer over the weekend and three of my carbon fiber props appear to be off balance quite a bit. Could this be the issue?
Three props off-balance can't be a good thing.
Are you using DJI CF reinforced props or aftermarket hard, black CF props?
If you are using hard, black CF props, I'd recommend ditching them.
The only benefit they offer is visual when the Phantom is on the ground.

Three props off-balance can't be a good thing.
Are you using DJI CF reinforced props or aftermarket hard, black CF props?

I am using DJI Carbon props. I am shocked that they are off balance. I'm kinda scared to sand them lol

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I am using DJI Carbon props. I am shocked that they are off balance. I'm kinda scared to sand them lol

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app
You can sand them. They're really not 'carbon fiber' in the sense there is no laid matt. It's just fibers mixed in with the plastic with dubious performance enhancements. You can always use glue (Bondic), nail polish or tape to balance props.

They should also be lighter. But that doesnt make it worth it; in my experience (not with the phantom) CF props are too stiff for aerial photography, they cause more problems than they solve.

You could be encountering the "ground effect" when in the final stages of landing which can cause a fair amount of instability and make your direction controls more sensitive. It can also make your phantom rise or bounce up again if you don't kill the throttle enough on touchdown.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic