Motor upgrade opinions

I don't understand why people are replacing OE DJI motors with these universal motors. OE motor problems appear to be one of the least discussed topics on the forums.
What problem are you solving?
If those motors don't give extra flight time then it's not worth to replace the stock motors.

They look like (or are very similar to) these: Infinity Hobby

I have these from Infinity Hobby, and I like them. Hard to tell if they prevent cracks--I have not had any cracks since using them, but I also filled the inside of arms with Plast-aid. What I like about them is they don't protrude out much from the arm profile (barely 3mm), so my P3 still fits into the cases I have. Some of the arm reinforcement plates (like the UAV Bits ones) stick out further and they would require enlarging the arm openings in the foam case inserts. They also look pretty nice with the brushed aluminum look.

I also like Infinity Hobby's motor covers: Infinity Hobby

I have no affiliation with Infinity, just a happy customer of these items.
If those motors don't give extra flight time then it's not worth to replace the stock motors.
i don't believe they will give more flight time? They weight 20grams more then stock for a total weight of 80 grams!we all know more weight less fly time! Still waiting for a review!

Reactions: gppms
I can say that I didn't notice any negative performance effects on my new motors P3A. However, if there are any positive performance gains, they are negligible. Perhaps maybe an old motors bird fitted with the KDEPSK-2315-965's might see actual gains which would put it on par with a new motors bird.

Reactions: Digdat0
I know this is an ancient thread, but would like to hear any info regarding upgraded motors when carrying external batteries.

Hey guys got my p3a about a month ago, been loving it every day. I got the KDE motors about a week ago and so far very impressed. Definitely more agile, much quicker 0-35mph(is there a mod that unlocks top speed?). Going to do battery tests soon, haven't had the opportunity yet. Installation was more or less straightforward, they do not require any change in electronics or settings, unsolder 3 wires for each motor and solder matching wires for new motor. The only issue I ran into was when it came to mounting them, it seems dji modified the structure of the motor mount to add support but it is in the way of the new motor. Long story short I used my soldering iron to poke a hole through the center of the mount and an exacto to clean it up a bit(I was at home and eager otherwise I would've dremeled it at my shop). Considering the loss in support I opted to get a set of aluminum motor reinforcements. I flew it for a few days before the reinforcements came with no issues and same since they came. Haven't taken pics with them on yet will post those later. Also they sound great IMO.
View attachment 61574 View attachment 61575
Not to bag on you too badly (well.. just a little) these aircraft are smooth flying camera platforms. If you are interested in speed, agility, performance, etc, just purchase a racing drone.

Reactions: CANEKiTA and N017RW
As ''gklugie'' says - these are camera platforms and not racing machines.

Upgrade of motors for something like the Phantoms ?

If motor is more efficient in converting electrical energy to thrust - then OK

If motor is lighter and gives same or more thrust for same electrical energy as original - then OK

Upgrade must in my view improve the quality of flight of the model. But depending on the model the improvement desired changes. For a Phantom - I would be looking for smoother longer flight. For a racing drone - I would be looking for increased speed and agility.

So far with many years of playing with motors - I can honestly say the DJI motors are good compromise of budget price and performance. They would be hard to beat anywhere near the price tag. And that as we all know is a big surprise that DJI branded motors are budget priced (they are not made by DJI though).

Nigel

Hey guys got my p3a about a month ago, been loving it every day. I got the KDE motors about a week ago and so far very impressed. Definitely more agile, much quicker 0-35mph(is there a mod that unlocks top speed?). Going to do battery tests soon, haven't had the opportunity yet. Installation was more or less straightforward, they do not require any change in electronics or settings, unsolder 3 wires for each motor and solder matching wires for new motor. The only issue I ran into was when it came to mounting them, it seems dji modified the structure of the motor mount to add support but it is in the way of the new motor. Long story short I used my soldering iron to poke a hole through the center of the mount and an exacto to clean it up a bit(I was at home and eager otherwise I would've dremeled it at my shop). Considering the loss in support I opted to get a set of aluminum motor reinforcements. I flew it for a few days before the reinforcements came with no issues and same since they came. Haven't taken pics with them on yet will post those later. Also they sound great IMO.
View attachment 61574 View attachment 61575
There is a mod, I just did it and it's simple. digdat0/P3I1_FWProject

As ''gklugie'' says - these are camera platforms and not racing machines.

Upgrade of motors for something like the Phantoms ?

If motor is more efficient in converting electrical energy to thrust - then OK

If motor is lighter and gives same or more thrust for same electrical energy as original - then OK

Upgrade must in my view improve the quality of flight of the model. But depending on the model the improvement desired changes. For a Phantom - I would be looking for smoother longer flight. For a racing drone - I would be looking for increased speed and agility.

So far with many years of playing with motors - I can honestly say the DJI motors are good compromise of budget price and performance. They would be hard to beat anywhere near the price tag. And that as we all know is a big surprise that DJI branded motors are budget priced (they are not made by DJI though).

Nigel
Upgrade can include more efficient motors, not necessarily faster ones.

"If it ain't broke, leave it alone" is my motto. In reality, what does one gain, more speed? Why do you need that? The Phantoms are sedate camera platforms not designed for racing!

You don't even get more speed.
The motor speed is controlled by the flight controller in response to joystick inputs and sensor data
But speed doesn't come from the motors spinning faster.
If the motors did spin faster, that would make the drone climb more.
Speed comes from the drone tilting more.

I don't understand why people have to "fiddle" with their drones for no good reason.
If it works, use it, don't change it, and definitely don't do a firmware update!
My old PsA is as was when bought and works perfectly??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers