Motor upgrade opinions

I got the kde motors I the mail today and installed them tonight. It took a good two hours to do it slow and right. I found the hardes part was that I had to dremel out the x support between the motor mount holes so the bottom of the motor could fit, that kinda sucked. Otherwise, was pretty straightforward. Will fly over the next few days and report back.

kwCaewS.jpg

fDjLLKz.jpg

NcruCig.jpg

qcszfvj.jpg

Reactions: Phantomic
Just order two sets KDE motors will update you guys with the results plus a brand new Phantom 3 advanced aircraft only.
Phantom one with 1,066km travelled stock motors
Phantom Two with 944km travelled stock motors

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    265.1 KB · Views: 446
  • image.png
    image.png
    264.8 KB · Views: 437
Does anyone know what is the normal lifetime of Phantom 3 motors? My P3A has flown for around 12 hours flying time...not sure when will the motor getting old and problem occurs? [emoji1][emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Does anyone know what is the normal lifetime of Phantom 3 motors? My P3A has flown for around 12 hours flying time...not sure when will the motor getting old and problem occurs? [emoji1][emoji23]

They are brushless motors...As long as they haven't been obstructed or abused chances are your ESC will fail before the motors. I've got 40+ hours on 2 P3's. Running original motors. Many of those hours are with extra battery weight and 30+min flight times.

I found that oiling the kde bearings really helped. They spin buttery smooth now.

Arent they sealed bearings? I wouldn't want to oil them...It will just attract more dirt to gunk them up.

They are sealed bearings, but oil can penetrate them. They aren't marine grade, not waterproof bearings. I'm not worried about dirt to be honest, they are sealed in the bottom of the motor mount. If it gets real dirty in there, i have bigger issues I think.

The reason i did this was that I was having a hard time getting them to initiate and would get motor obstructed errors. I ground enough plastic off that shouldn't be causing it, but i couldn't figure it out. I took them back off and just pondered. I kept spinning them and could feel how roughly they were spinning. It reminded me of something .. I spent alot of time rollerblading, skateboarding and now fixing my kids scooters, where old/rusty bearings felt exactly like that. After a quick oil, those things always, always worked better. So i looked up the bearing type, and its MR84ZZ and MR104ZZ .. which are actually pretty common bearings. Used, not only in RC application but other areas .. like skateboards and rollerblades. So i decided that i would oil the bottom bearings and see what happened.

Right here:

HKTHahk.jpg

After a little oil added and re-mounted, i spun each motor 50 or so times. I could feel the bearings oiled up, loosened up and spinning much more freely. That was really nice. It went from a gritty feeling to a smooth feeling. I can actually spin it and it goes on its own. Since then, my motors all start super easily and no issues :)

They are sealed bearings, but oil can penetrate them. They aren't marine grade, not waterproof bearings. I'm not worried about dirt to be honest, they are sealed in the bottom of the motor mount. If it gets real dirty in there, i have bigger issues I think.

The reason i did this was that I was having a hard time getting them to initiate and would get motor obstructed errors. I ground enough plastic off that shouldn't be causing it, but i couldn't figure it out. I took them back off and just pondered. I kept spinning them and could feel how roughly they were spinning. It reminded me of something .. I spent alot of time rollerblading, skateboarding and now fixing my kids scooters, where old/rusty bearings felt exactly like that. After a quick oil, those things always, always worked better. So i looked up the bearing type, and its MR84ZZ and MR104ZZ .. which are actually pretty common bearings. Used, not only in RC application but other areas .. like skateboards and rollerblades. So i decided that i would oil the bottom bearings and see what happened.

Right here:

HKTHahk.jpg

After a little oil added and re-mounted, i spun each motor 50 or so times. I could feel the bearings oiled up, loosened up and spinning much more freely. That was really nice. It went from a gritty feeling to a smooth feeling. I can actually spin it and it goes on its own. Since then, my motors all start super easily and no issues :)

Hey if it works for you that's all that matters. FWIW when I first dremeled out the motor mounts to fit the KDEs it still didn't feel smooth. I went back and dremeled out this first inner reinforcement on all 4 sides and the motors spun way better with no resistance. I think this is where a lot of people have issues because you could get rid of the X but still feel some resistance.
IMG_1473036402.093959.jpg

@Digdat0 here's a few clips. Sound doesn't come through really well though.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You sir are ballzy to be flying that close to wires.

Any reviews about flight time with those motors?

I got them for the hell of it. Just to see how they perform. I have been pushing P3's to the bleeding edge of death 0-1% battery. I know how the stock P3 performs and so why the hell not. I didn't buy them because I feared motor failure. I know in my case, I have many more things that will fail before motors.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic