Motor test out of craft?

Reaction score
Can motors be tested out of craft? Would like to test motor before soldering to new ESC.

From what I have read from others that have replaced motors it would not be a bad idea. This comes from some stating the motors were marked wrong as to what they were. CW or CCW rotation. I would be very unhappy if I bolted them in place, soldered them in and found out they ran the wrong way.

Happyflyer said:
From what I have read from others that have replaced motors it would not be a bad idea. This comes from some stating the motors were marked wrong as to what they were. CW or CCW rotation. I would be very unhappy if I bolted them in place, soldered them in and found out they ran the wrong way.

It's the thread direction on the shaft that is the differentiating factor of the P2 motors (black dot or not).

Because BLDC motors act like 3phase AC motors, swapping any two wires on the ESC will reverse the rotation (CW, CCW).

N017RW said:
It's the thread direction on the shaft that is the differentiating factor of the P2 motors (black dot or not).

Because BLDC motors act like 3phase AC motors, swapping any two wires on the ESC will reverse the rotation (CW, CCW).
That is IF whatever China manufacturer placed the dots. Or IF they even threaded them right. From all the problems we have read about, I just have little faith in their work. Yes, I worked with plenty of 3phase motors when I built power lines years ago. You would still have to do another re-solder job if wrong. Bummer.

Thanks for the response fellas, but I was inquiring as to method, if possible, to actually spin the motor up with an external power source, before soldering. Rotational direction is understood as the first step, a functioning motor is my main concern. Thanks in advance.

You have to send a three phase signal to the motor for it to run. That's what the ESC does. With an ESC module you could run a motor externally although even the ESC may need certain signals for it to run a motor.

Geo

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic