Motor spinning slow after replacing ESC

Reaction score
Had to replace one ESC after a crash and now its spinning slow in idle and the startup tone is different.
Phantom flies fine tho...
Was told by hobby shop that new ESCs have different power management and thats why its spinnung slower.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmcUajCLagw[/youtube]

Dagenvan said:
Recently DJI replaced one ESC and motor and I'm experiencing the same thing.

I'm just slightly worried during take-off.

Must be normal then and hopefully nothing to worry about...

mine flies and takes off fine and can still do that so I assume its all good (hard mounted GoPro)...
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hf6jrDirT8[/youtube]

The hobby store person's explanation is credible. How old are the remaining three ESCs in your bird? Obviously the flight mode is the important factor, it may just be saving you battery charge with the slow idle (might want to replace all of them!) I notice that your controller is not the P2V+ version (no range extender or FPV clip), is this a P1?

slothead said:
The hobby store person's explanation is credible. How old are the remaining three ESCs in your bird? Obviously the flight mode is the important factor, it may just be saving you battery charge with the slow idle (might want to replace all of them!) I notice that your controller is not the P2V+ version (no range extender or FPV clip), is this a P1?
The bird is about one month old.
The controller is P2V+ but stripped from range extender and phone holder as they are not needed anymore (guess what happened to the gimbal after a crash..)
IMAG0765.jpg

I have removed wifi module from phantom and antennas as well and I will be converting it to P2 with H3-3D and FPV kit (didnt like vision plus camera quality at all)

by the way the crash had nothing to do with flying in manual mode and doing flips....

Interesting. That raises questions about the hobby store's statement. How much newer (design-wise) than a month old ESC could a replacement be?!? I suppose it could have been sitting stock for a little longer. If you replaced it yourself, did you notice the difference in part number or serial number (if they are serialized - which I doubt)?

I have looked all over the bulletin boards for the answer to this question.
I have actually replaced the same ESC 3 times with the result being the same. The rotor runs a little slower at idle, but flies perfectly well.
There is also a beep from that ESC that has stayed each time I have replaced it, but doesn't seem to have anything to do with performance once you take off.
It is the same beep the ESC from the Phantom 2's have during their normal start up.
I've always wondered are the replacement ESC's left over from the Phantom 2 days??

Here is the YouTube of the start up sequence that many people have reported with the same slow idle speed,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvW4PcPBGaI

Let em know what you think!!

slothead said:
Interesting. That raises questions about the hobby store's statement. How much newer (design-wise) than a month old ESC could a replacement be?!? I suppose it could have been sitting stock for a little longer. If you replaced it yourself, did you notice the difference in part number or serial number (if they are serialized - which I doubt)?

no didnt look at serial number.

paulsluxmd said:
I have looked all over the bulletin boards for the answer to this question.
I have actually replaced the same ESC 3 times with the result being the same. The rotor runs a little slower at idle, but flies perfectly well.
There is also a beep from that ESC that has stayed each time I have replaced it, but doesn't seem to have anything to do with performance once you take off.
It is the same beep the ESC from the Phantom 2's have during their normal start up.
I've always wondered are the replacement ESC's left over from the Phantom 2 days??

Here is the YouTube of the start up sequence that many people have reported with the same slow idle speed,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvW4PcPBGaI

Let em know what you think!!

mine is the same now

I get the same four "red beeps" also after replacing one ESC on my P2V+. Flies fine.

One thing that occurs to me is that the power to the ESC is governed by the flight controller (FC) to maintain the proper attitude (normally flat and level). While idling, the FC doesn't care what the motor is doing.

The concern that I would have is the temperature of the ESC. If there is a degradation somewhere in the system that causes the ESC output to be low, the FC is going to drive the ESC to provide the necessary lift (or whatever) from the motor and possibly over-drive the ESC during flight. I don't think the FC cares about the temperature of the ESC (or the motor). If you can, I would use one of those laser-directed IR thermometers to measure the temperature at the four arms (where the ESCs are) to see if that new ESC is operating at the same temperature as the other three (and I would do this as soon after landing as possible to prevent them from cooling off). (In fact I think that is something that I will try next time I fly just for a thermal reference point for the future.)

I replaced one of my ESC's, which I bought on eBay. It looked to be a genuine DJI product. The only difference after installation is that the 4 tones at startup are of lower volume, and sound a bit different. The motor spins fine at idle.

I've read about this from other users before.
One user reported that the extra beeps from the replaced ESC went away after a firmware update.
I think the ESC's have firmware that's different on different models of Phantom but the hardware is the same across all.

Have you tried re-applying the last firmware update? I'm curious if re-flashing the Central Board firmware (V1.0.1.32) would have any effect.

I have replaced all 4, because there were 3 broken by a tree/water crash :|
Now it sounds like the vision non plus :lol:

cahutch said:
One user reported that the extra beeps from the replaced ESC went away after a firmware update.
I think the ESC's have firmware that's different on different models of Phantom but the hardware is the same across all.

Have you tried re-applying the last firmware update? I'm curious if re-flashing the Central Board firmware (V1.0.1.32) would have any effect.
I don't remember if I updated the firmware after the ESC installation, but it's worth a try. I don't have the Phantom with me right now, but will update the firmware when I can and see what that does.

dannytroy said:
cahutch said:

I don't remember if I updated the firmware after the ESC installation, but it's worth a try. I don't have the Phantom with me right now, but will update the firmware when I can and see what that does.

I have update everything again, stil 4 more beeps than my other Visions plus ;)

M.Tigelaar said:
dannytroy said:
cahutch said:

I have update everything again, stil 4 more beeps than my other Visions plus ;)

Same here.

I also have the extra beeps after a single ESC replacement. I've not noticed any difference in idle speed. All 4 ESC have different numbered stickers.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20