Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Motor sound - when turned off...

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Discussion' started by Judderman, May 15, 2014.

1. Judderman

Hi All,

Recently had my first crash - total pilot error. I considered myself okay until this point!

So the phantom landed on to concrete (ouch) directly onto the rotors from a few feet up. It flew perfectly straight after, no damage to the gimbal or anything like that.

However I've become paranoid now, and wanted to run this by the forum - when I spin the motors (when it's off) two of the motors make very little sound, and two make a sort of clunking sound. I can't describe it - here's a video. Remember, front two motors are OK as far as I can tell, rear two are making a different sound. It flew fine straight after the crash.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhCcmeYeudw

I'm scared to fly it again until I replace the motors - if that's what is recommended.

2. N017RW

It's really hard to tell but great job on the video post.

You may have 'flat spotted' a bearing or two upon impact.

If you have no vibration then I don't believe you have a bent shaft.

Another test would be to fly for a short bit and compare tempertures.
    Compromised bearings would likely increase temperatures from friction itself and the added energy required to overcome it.

3. Judderman

Thanks for your response. There's zero vibration bit I've ordered two new motors as a precaution. I'll report back my findings soon!

4. Judderman

Another thing has just occurred to me - after I've replaced the motors, reconnected all the cabling, gimbal etc, is there any kind of calibration I would need to run? I suppose it could do no harm.

Anyone know if the calibration procedure is different for a motor replacement?