Motor shutdown function while flying

Reaction score
I remember reading a thread about this a long time ago, but couldn't find the exact one I'm thinking of, so I'll just ask...

Here's what happened to me today... I had the Phantom (v1.1.1) out about 100ft and up about 100ft. I decided to descend and come back towards me at the same time (using CL) - so I was pulling both sticks down and all of a sudden the Phantom started tumbling and fell out of the sky from about 60 or 80ft. Luckily nothing seriously broke and it flew just fine afterwards. I realized while it was falling exactly what had happened. I must have inadvertently moved both sticks all the way down and in - just like I do when starting the motors (and how you can shut them down). Watching the video afterwards, it confirms it - as you can hear the motors shutdown and the props stop spinning.

My question is this... why the heck would the firmware on the Phantom allow the motor shutdown function above a certain altitude? I have my cutoff set to 'Intelligent' in the software. I thought that would prevent this from happening - but I guess not.

Is there anyway I can prevent this from happening again (besides the obvious - don't put the sticks in that position!).

I consider this an emergency shutdown procedure if all else fails. I'm not sure it can be removed. I thought about it too but both stick movement down and inside like that isn't a natural maneuver so I don't think it should happen, but of course in your case it did.

Exactly what I thought ericdes. I like the idea of being able to shut them off in an emergency, but maybe with a different method? I dunno.

It looks like I'm going to have to familiarize myself with all of the startup/shutdown stick positions so that I can hopefully avoid this again in the future.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers