Motor shot? Or board fried

Reaction score
Seeking an opinion from any of you folks that have worked on these birds.

I clipped a bush and landed upside down in a shallow stream edge. More like landing in a puddle upside down. I think one of the motors may have gotten some water and maybe a little mud in it. I thought I blew it out but when I powered up the self test started, I think one motor was sluggish. Then it shut down. I removed the battery. Now after drying it out and cleaning the motors with electronic cleaner it won't power up. When I power it up the battery lights up then one of the motors gives a little click and the whole thing shuts down. All motors spin free though.

Anyone have an opinion on whether this could be one bad motor keeping it from powering up? Or could I have damaged the board? I'm pretty sure no water got into where the board is. But maybe shorting out a motor or something could fry it? I've got the cover off and it's all dry in there now.
If there is a chance it's the motor I'll replace it myself since I have it open and they are pretty cheap. If you think it sounds grim for the motherboard then I might send it in for repair.

Thank in advance!

P.S. I know I should have done more to clean and dry before powering it back up. Lesson learned. I'll save you guys the trouble. ;-)

One bad ESC/motor can cause it to fail the power up self test, and it will shut down. The first P2 that I bought had that fault straight out of the box. One little chirp on startup, and then off again.

I doubt it's the main board.

One bad ESC/motor can cause it to fail the power up self test, and it will shut down. The first P2 that I bought had that fault straight out of the box. One little chirp on startup, and then off again.

I doubt it's the main board.
Thanks for the quick reply. I thought the ESC was the main center board?

One ESC per motor, but I have never worked on one. :rolleyes:

My first thought, since you have to use a solder iron to replace the motor and the ESC as I believe.
Remove those components, and if @sar104 is correct.

I think it would the other three would then power up.
@sar104 ?

Rod

One ESC per motor, but I have never worked on one. :rolleyes:

My first thought, since you have to use a solder iron to replace the motor and the ESC as I believe.
Remove those components, and if @sar104 is correct.

I think it would the other three would then power up.
@sar104 ?

Rod

I think that is correct. It will power up if the components are missing - at least the P2 would if I remember correctly - it was a few years ago.

Thanks I was going to swap the two CW motors to see if the problem moves. But I will try what you suggest first.

It does look like the ESC are chips on the main board. Unless you can point me otherwise.

@sar104

Thanks, that is what I was thinking, P3S would probably give some kind of error and or may not power up the motors, but it should stay powered on.

@bsartist

Sorry for your crash, mine was worse, long story but my P3S got caught in a tree Feb 25th.
I was working on a new mission to avoid a neighbors property.
He had seen a post on Facebook that my dad had shared and he made a comment of being under surveillance.
I mistakenly was trying a different route at a lower AGL to keep his property (buildings out of the view).

I could power the motors on and off, view the camera press record, etc.
It was 190' in a 220' tree, I had many ideas to get it down, but obstacles just kept getting in the way.

Between 4pm April 1st and 4pm April 2nd it fell out of the tree, No fooling.
It is now in 5 pieces.

Battery works, Marco polo is good.

This was the short version. :rolleyes:

ESC, yes I think they are on the main board near each motor. I just recall its always been stated change the motor and the ESC.

I going to have to make a project area before I can start my tear down.

Rod

Its just a statement and there is a couple of tear down vids.

Post number #3
P3S inside

Looks like a blast :eek:

Rod

Thanks I was going to swap the two CW motors to see if the problem moves. But I will try what you suggest first.

It does look like the ESC are chips on the main board. Unless you can point me otherwise.

In the arm on the P2.

fullsizeoutput_8c1.jpeg

Yeah, thanks, I've being doing some research, are people replacing the ESC's on P3's?
The only thing I have every had a part was P2V+. Well, and the remote for my satellite dish.
I have a friend a know than can solder double side boards, but I won't even try.

Rod

I removed the suspect motor and no power on. I now hear a small click from the main board. I swapped the motors and now I don't even hear one of them clicking. I guess I'm replacing the main board

Thanks for the update, board isn't expensive as I thought, I guess if its P3's that's what you do. Sucks on such a small crash.

I have been a work, ready to go home, not ready for a tear-down yet, I don't even want to post the pictures yet.

Rod

Thanks for the update, board isn't expensive as I thought, I guess if its P3's that's what you do. Sucks on such a small crash.

I have been a work, ready to go home, not ready for a tear-down yet, I don't even want to post the pictures yet.

Rod
They can be $199 new for just the board! I see on eBay some places selling cheaper with motors. Says they came out of a new drone. Not sure why. But I guess if I pick someone with good ratings it's a good risk.

Rod
Yeah I read here about people getting the thing fully submerged for 10 minutes and bringing it back to life. Go figure. Maybe my premature attempt at powering it up. Mea culpa. I should know better.

And, yes, it was fresh water. :)

Motor may be OK, I don't think short term exposure to water will damage it. I believe the wires in the coil windings go all the way out as the leads as others who have tried splicing noted enamel on the lead wires as well as the plastic insulation.
Gunk could have gotten into the motor and stalled it sufficiently to burn out the ESC or that happened during crash.

Motor may be OK, I don't think short term exposure to water will damage it. I believe the wires in the coil windings go all the way out as the leads as others who have tried splicing noted enamel on the lead wires as well as the plastic insulation.
Gunk could have gotten into the motor and stalled it sufficiently to burn out the ESC or that happened during crash.
Thanks. Pretty sure the ESC is toast.

They can be $199 new for just the board! I see on eBay some places selling cheaper with motors. Says they came out of a new drone. Not sure why. But I guess if I pick someone with good ratings it's a good risk.

linked all drones has one on amazon for 148.00 shipping was way faster than they said! screw ebay never know if your getting ripped

linked all drones has one on amazon for 148.00 shipping was way faster than they said! screw ebay never know if your getting ripped
I read the seller reviews. Just got a board with motors for $125. Installed in tonight. She flies again! :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub