Motor reinforcement plate is not enough.

Look closely and you can see the lower one has an "X" reinforcement on the motor mounts. Logically, I think the X reinforcement is the revised shell. I bought mine in May 2015 and its the top one in the pic below.
However, the original poster of the image said that he got cracks on the "X" shell (see under the glue) and went to get his shell replace. The shell supplied is the one pictured on top, without the "X" reinforcement..
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/11169540/Phantom 3 Mods/Plastic shell variants.jpg

I think both types of shells crack and the dealer/sell was getting rid of old stock.
I agree with you. I think even the new design will crack.

My UAVbits strong arm pieces arrived this week. Each bracket has 6 screws, not 4 as shown above. Unfortunately I can't install them because 2 of the screws in each arm require a really really special Torx wrench to remove/install the screws, smaller than T10 torx. I'm trying to get the correct size from UAVbits so I can order one.

My UAVbits strong arm pieces arrived this week. Each bracket has 6 screws, not 4 as shown above. Unfortunately I can't install them because 2 of the screws in each arm require a really really special Torx wrench to remove/install the screws, smaller than T10 torx. I'm trying to get the correct size from UAVbits so I can order one.
The plates shown in post #20 above were self designed. The UAV plates have always been 6 screws as far as I know.

Maybe this from the UAV web site will help...
What you get:
4 reinforcement plates
8 M2.5 screws
16 M3 screws

What you will need:
2mm hex driver
1.5mm hex driver
T8 torx driver to remove factory screws in phantom shell

The problem is far more widespread than you seem to understand. Many people aren't inspecting closely enough and become shocked when they finally realise how bad it really is.
Exactly. I don't think people realize how many "crack issues" are out there. I got 120 miles worth out of my P3P before getting them, never crashed, anything. Then I took the "easy solution" sent it in a waited, only to receive an aircraft that was AGAIN cracked upon opening it from DJI. It's was returned to me with more issues than it was sent with and now I'm having to send it back to get a "refurb". While on the phone getting the shipping info a such I was told by the CS supervisor that I was the 3rd call he had personally taken that day dealing with bad repairs... Go figure.

These shells need a heck of a lot more than some x bracing. Thickness in that area is what it needs. The hell with added weight. After all, nobody is having issues with the added weight of the strong arm kits. My June delivery shell is completely shot. Cracks on every motor mount. I just finished updating firmware on a brand new in box, July delivery phantom 3 I had packed away along with zip tying it. Let's see how long it takes to crack. If it doesn't it will be the first phantom of any kind that hasn't cracked on me in spite of having never crashed a DJI product. So easy for DJI to really strengthen these and put the matter to rest once and for all. Hopefully it will happen instead of the usual, oh, look at our new camera on the same old structural integrity lacking device.

The "Xs" are just a quick band-aid that is easy to do in the injection mold. The mold doesn't have to be out of service for long to cut those into the steel.

Thickening the entire lower arm half is much more involved and time consuming. The mold would need to be taken apart and more complex curved cutting done.

It could be they don't want to take the mold(s) out of service for that long.

Maybe they are cutting a new mold (or half) with a thicker cross section in that area.

Zoti was using his own design, not the UAV Bits designed Strong Arm. We have not had any customers report new cracks or further cracking under our Strong Arm Reinforcement Plate. Our patented design couples all six screws to spread the forces out over a large area. The Strong Arm will be available in a more rigid material soon and a completely new design that makes the arms rock solid.
prototype white.jpg

I will be posting an installation video on how to bed the Strong Arm for those that want a completely flush fit and maximum strength from the Strong Arm. I should have the new video up by Monday.

Now wouldn't it be wonderful if DJI would send a voucher to owners so they could buy your kit rather than waiting for another shell that is likely to crack.

Zoti was using his own design, not the UAV Bits designed Strong Arm. We have not had any customers report new cracks or further cracking under our Strong Arm Reinforcement Plate. Our patented design couples all six screws to spread the forces out over a large area. The Strong Arm will be available in a more rigid material soon and a completely new design that makes the arms rock solid.
View attachment 31841
I will be posting an installation video on how to bed the Strong Arm for those that want a completely flush fit and maximum strength from the Strong Arm. I should have the new video up by Monday.

A new material and design?

When will this be? My P3P is arriving Tuesday

I have read dozens of these "cracks in arms" threads and the one thing that stands out is this....the arms have a design fault and the self acclaimed "world leader" in drone technology....obviously know about it and do nothing about it? The arms taper down towards the motor ...where there is going to be more stress than any other part of the airframe, not only that but they made no effort to put a decent "floor" under the motors equally strengthened to deal with the stress and heat generated. The Phantom looks pretty ..but is flawed and all these badge up "solutions" are greeted with smiles at DJI...which they would not have if they were to face a class action for a product not fit for purpose!

So it's not a matter of IF it cracks but WHEN?? Just another reason I have been tempted to bail on my Phantom and sell it off. I figure its either going to just fall out of the sky on its own or shell crack.

Anything we can do to prevent the cracks? Should I loosen or tighten the motor screws?

So it's not a matter of IF it cracks but WHEN?? Just another reason I have been tempted to bail on my Phantom and sell it off. I figure its either going to just fall out of the sky on its own or shell crack.

Anything we can do to prevent the cracks? Should I loosen or tighten the motor screws?

nothing to report after a hundred flights. As an experienced RC pilot, I have seen too many P3 flyers keep flying even when the props are way out of balance ...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl