Motor overload error

Reaction score
So I just received my second refurb'd 3s. The first one got firmware errors and was returned. Now this one I keep getting battery temperature errors (even though everything is kept inside) and motor overload warnings (not gimbal).

I wonder if DJI put a bunch of bad refurbs out there because I know others that have had issues with recent 3 standard refurbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I too just recently received my second refurbished. Let's see. So far the compass is randomly intermittent and the camera starts flopping around like crazy only when moved suddenly (it works fine sitting on the workbench). Camera looks to the right by 20° and gets worse the longer it is on. And the controller's camera tilt moves the camera in the wrong direction if you move the wheel slowly.

You have 2 choices that make sense.
1. Return to supplier for a replacement
2. Return for a refund

Choice 1. You hope it was a quality control issue, something every single manufacturing company on the planet has problems with. Yes every single one!!
Choice 2. Use money to buy something different

You could jump up and down on your faulty item or throw it away. But that's not sensible is it?

I've already decided to return this one and put the money towards a new unit, just not sure which one.

But this process has tainted me from ever buying a refurb'd DJI ever again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only bright side is that refurbished Dji products are not dumped on us Europeans. They are however available to Americans, who get their brand new Dji stuff cheaper than the rest of the world in the first place but still remain price obsessed.

The only bright side is that refurbished Dji products are not dumped on us Europeans. They are however available to Americans, who get their brand new Dji stuff cheaper than the rest of the world in the first place but still remain price obsessed.
When I lived in Europe (in the 70's), Europeans often earned double of their counterparts in America. So when you purchased something in Europe and it costs twice as much as it does in America, it makes sense to me.

You could jump up and down on your faulty item or throw it away. But that's not sensible is it?
No it doesn't. But you know that DJI will just resell it again and again until one customer down the line just throws it away. And it would have saved a lot of people grief if the first customer just threw it away to begin with. :(

Using your logic, anyone buying refurbished is therefore encouraging Dji to rip people off. You yourself bought twice, so I assume it Dji you have an issue with rather than the general principle of refurbished items. If that is the case, get rid, buy from another brand and put it all behind you.
While you may find sympathy for having a defective product, most of the posters on this forum are pro Dji and despite the occasional problems are prepared to work through them, with help and advice, to a hopefully happy outcome.

In reality though.... a refurb SHOULD actually be better than brand new. On the DJI site, they swear that they fix it, test fly it and go through the entire thing with a fine toothed comb. So how is it even possible that someone could receive a defective refurb? Unless it was kicked like a football by the UPS men. This leads me to believe that they check it out for 2 minutes..... wipe it off with an old rag..... then stick it in a refurb box and send it on it's way. Hmmm?

Reactions: PolishPoet
There are logs on my second refurb dating back in November of having dozens of compass errors. And I received it on the 12th of January and it still has compass errors. It works most of the time, but it randomly quits for a few seconds at a time. So I don't know how FedEx (or anybody else) could be blamed for this?

There are logs on my second refurb dating back in November of having dozens of compass errors. And I received it on the 12th of January and it still has compass errors. It works most of the time, but it randomly quits for a few seconds at a time. So I don't know how FedEx (or anybody else) could be blamed for this?

Right. I was just trying to stress the fact that they (DJI's experts) obviously just gave the drone a 15 second inspection and sent it on it's way. If they really did what they say they do. The compass errors would have been 100% fixed and the logs would have been cleared. So, them saying that these are 100% gone through is a flat out lie. They probably have some 19 YO kid in the back making minimum wage checking out these returns. If it powers up and hovers for 10 seconds..... they ship the darn thing back out.

I won't say where or anything.... but I used to work at a place where when we were behind schedule and we had to get a bunch of orders out really fast.... we were told just to skip 90% of the inspection process and just get 'em boxed up and get them the hell out the door. The customers will return the bad ones. Sad to say, but that's how a lot of "quality control" is done.

Right. I was just trying to stress the fact that they (DJI's experts) obviously just gave the drone a 15 second inspection and sent it on it's way. If they really did what they say they do. The compass errors would have been 100% fixed and the logs would have been cleared. So, them saying that these are 100% gone through is a flat out lie. They probably have some 19 YO kid in the back making minimum wage checking out these returns. If it powers up and hovers for 10 seconds..... they ship the darn thing back out.

I won't say where or anything.... but I used to work at a place where when we were behind schedule and we had to get a bunch of orders out really fast.... we were told just to skip 90% of the inspection process and just get 'em boxed up and get them the hell out the door. The customers will return the bad ones. Sad to say, but that's how a lot of "quality control" is done.
That what I think happened too. My first refurb I received in November and that one is fine and is like new. Although since the Christmas rush, they seemed to just rush them out the door.

I too just recently received my second refurbished. Let's see. So far the compass is randomly intermittent and the camera starts flopping around like crazy only when moved suddenly (it works fine sitting on the workbench). Camera looks to the right by 20° and gets worse the longer it is on. And the controller's camera tilt moves the camera in the wrong direction if you move the wheel slowly.
Well I had a very bad gut feeling about sending it back to DJI. I should have listened. DJI lost my P3S! They have no record of me purchasing any Phantom and the RMA number they told me to use to ship back (at my expense), now say it is an invalid RMA. I paid for a P3S and I got nothing.

Well I had a very bad gut feeling about sending it back to DJI. I should have listened. DJI lost my P3S! They have no record of me purchasing any Phantom and the RMA number they told me to use to ship back (at my expense), now say it is an invalid RMA. I paid for a P3S and I got nothing.

Dispute on your credit card. Unless you stopped by DJI headquarters and handed them cash, there is a record of it somewhere.

Dispute on your credit card. Unless you stopped by DJI headquarters and handed them cash, there is a record of it somewhere.
Yes true. It might tick DJI off though. And they do still control the firmware on my other Phantom, which kinda worries me a bit. :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen