Motor mount reinforcement

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the aftermarket aluminum motor mount reinforcement plates are worth the $$$. it seems to me that stress cracks are a real problem on the lower shell from what I've been reading.

There are different opinions on that question, and we had some heated discussions back when the stress crack issue was peaking. My personal opinion is that they do nothing to prevent cracks, but can help with preventing a complete motor loss in the unlikely event of catastrophic cracking. It's happened twice that I've heard of here.

That being said, only a small percentage suffered from cracking, and the most accepted root cause seems to be a bad batch of materials. New reports are now few and far between. Chances are very good that you won't have cracks anyway.

Reactions: Meta4
This was more of an issue for the first version of the Phantom 3. Since then, DJI made some design changes to the shell in the arm area and the crack issue has more or less gone away. I'm assuming you have the newest design since you bought your Phantom less than a month ago. If that's true, then I'd say there's even less of a chance you'll see cracks like this in your shell. On the hand, I've never seen any issues caused by adding reinforcement plates.

I don't know what version I have but after reading this thread:
Phantom 3pro lost motor mid flight.....total lost

I bought these: Strong Arm Reinforcement Plates

Less weight than aluminum. I really like them.

I installed the Standard-Tec motor reinforcement plates. I'm not sure if it prevents stress cracks or motor separation, but for $35 usd, it's a small price to pay for something that *might* stop a catastrophic crash like the one mentioned above... on top of that, it actually looks like an upgrade.

Heres the link:
Standard Tech Operation - Motor Reinforcement Mount for Phantom 4pcs/ Silvery 90670008

Attachments

• 1464048200500.jpg
    1464048200500.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 586
  • 1464048230215.jpg
    1464048230215.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 740
  • 1464048273633.jpg
    1464048273633.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 617
Last edited:
I have a recent model p3a with the new frame. I had a relatively low flight count with no crashes or even close calls and I found a stress crack extending from one of my motor mount screw holes. DJI was going to repair for free obviously but I opted to do a shell change myself. I hadn't even flown in windy conditions (at ground anyway) or any harsh braking etc and still got the crack. Just putting that out there to let it be known the cracking is not solved with the new frames, although I think catastrophic failure is less likely. I picked up some reinforcement plates and actually like the ones above also, but haven't figured out how I am going to inspect actual motor mounts without removing them frequently.
1f4e240d10ef7909ed4f2b0d77ba7e90.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Interesting. Good to know maybe I'll take a closer look at mine especially since I'm a relative newbee to these.

I found what appears to be a crack on mine today. I bought about 2 months ago from Amazon DDM Racing. Contacted DDM via Amazon email today. Not sure if this is handled by DJI or DDM. It is a newer model.
821c7e4510bea20ec7f4a88e5fdd24ed.jpg
efc77ed95198f828a7e872e8d55c9868.jpg
82b50ff1114d8905cfe1a67c52636e87.jpg

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Hard plastic is just a bad choice of material for a product that take constant vibration and hard impact.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I like the idea of the large surface aluminum alloy as it will very much help keeping the motors cooler on long flights aside from reinforcing the arm section. $35 is not bad. I ordered a set as well.

I bought the plastic uav bits when I got my P3 end of last year. I never installed them. Then saw the thread of the motor separation and decided to buy the aluminum ones. The fit and finish on the aluminum ones is way better than the plastic.

I do like those aluminum braces. Interesting place to develop a crack. Reading here and observing actual cracks, most seem to develop as a result of motor torque at the four motor mount screws, not the frame joining screws. Two schools on theory here revolve around crash and motor torque in early frame molding (abruptly stopping the motors as well as starting them). My flying partner developed cracks on two arms that originated from the mounting holes on the early frame molding after relatively low flying hours and no serious mishaps. To avoid a lengthy shipping delay, he had it repaired locally. The repair shop suggested a third theory, over tightening of the motor mount screws. I believe all three theories are equally plausible. Regardless, DJI offers no warranty on the frame, which doesn't say they wont replace it. The newer reinforced frame may be the answer and time will tell. Until then, pre-flight, pre-flight, pre-flight.

Last edited:
I found what appears to be a crack on mine today. I bought about 2 months ago from Amazon DDM Racing. Contacted DDM via Amazon email today. Not sure if this is handled by DJI or DDM. It is a newer model.
821c7e4510bea20ec7f4a88e5fdd24ed.jpg
efc77ed95198f828a7e872e8d55c9868.jpg
82b50ff1114d8905cfe1a67c52636e87.jpg

call brad at 1 866 368 1441
he will take care of you.

I installed the Standard-Tec motor reinforcement plates. I'm not sure if it prevents stress cracks or motor separation, but for $35 usd, it's a small price to pay for something that *might* stop a catastrophic crash like the one mentioned above... on top of that, it actually looks like an upgrade.

Heres the link:
Standard Tech Operation - Motor Reinforcement Mount for Phantom 4pcs/ Silvery 90670008
I also have theas aluminum ones like in the picture. Haven't had any cracks yet, but what I did notice was that after flying 3batteries the temperature of the motor and the aluminum on the strong-arm reinforcement plates was the same temperature. And I've also noticed that before I installed the aluminum strong-arms the motors were definitely hotter than they are with The aluminum strong arms installed. Which leads me to believe that they work as a heat sink, I would imagine it works this way because more surface area for The heat to dissipate. Also I don't really consider them expensive because I do believe they work and they also look pretty good compared to the ones made from plastic. As far as I'm concerned better safe than sorry, for a couple bucks might as well try to protect your thousand dollar investment..

I also have theas aluminum ones like in the picture. Haven't had any cracks yet, but what I did notice was that after flying 3batteries the temperature of the motor and the aluminum on the strong-arm reinforcement plates was the same temperature. And I've also noticed that before I installed the aluminum strong-arms the motors were definitely hotter than they are with The aluminum strong arms installed. Which leads me to believe that they work as a heat sink, I would imagine it works this way because more surface area for The heat to dissipate. Also I don't really consider them expensive because I do believe they work and they also look pretty good compared to the ones made from plastic. As far as I'm concerned better safe than sorry, for a couple bucks might as well try to protect your thousand dollar investment..

Aluminum is a great heat sink. Normally heat sinks are directly attached to the heat source. I wonder if the plastic shell being sandwiched between the heat source and the heat sink will have any negative effects long term?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20