Motor Mount Reinforcement

Reaction score
I've been reading here about cracks developing at the motors.
Is this specific to a certain batch of shells?
Should I install them on my P3A as a preventative measure?
What's best? Plastic, aluminum, or carbon fiber?

ON EDIT: I just now closely inspected and one of my motor mount areas has a small crack. Ugh.

Last edited:
Is this specific to a certain batch of shells?
No.

Should I install them on my P3A as a preventative measure?
There's really no good evidence to prove they work. However, the idea behind what they are designed to do makes sense. You can find a few of the commonly used arm reinforcements here.

No.

There's really no good evidence to prove they work. However, the idea behind what they are designed to do makes sense. You can find a few of the commonly used arm reinforcements here.
Is there a comprehensive guide here, or anywhere online, to repair existing cracks and to reinforce? In others other words what can be done?
I did try the search function and got scattered posts on this subject.

Is there a comprehensive guide here, or anywhere online, to repair existing cracks and to reinforce? In others other words what can be done?
Some people have used a product called 'plastaid' or other very similar products. A search for 'plastaid' might get you some more focused results. Or 'p3 crack repair' and trawl a bit - but that's always the way.... ;)

f58ae31782d9be97c5e3590c069bd553.jpg

Is there a comprehensive guide here, or anywhere online, to repair existing cracks
Replacing the shell is the only way to repair a crack. Once your shell is cracked, all of the crack prevention methods will only help prevent the cracks from spreading. There is no guarantee the problem will not get worse though.

Reactions: Dounin Front
I cracked my shell putting those mounts on my P3P. Thankfully DJI replaced it no questions asked. I think it was just a bad batch of plastic. Now I won't add anything aftermarket to the arms. Just my two cents.

Anyone know what sending it in for a shell replacement costs since I am out of warranty? (USA)
And should I replace the shell having only one crack in one arm?

Loctite brand super glue professional in the cracks and then LIGHTLY sand the excess. Then after that, just the bases from a cheap quick release prop kit for reinforcement. So far, it's been working great for me.

Anyone know what sending it in for a shell replacement costs since I am out of warranty? (USA)
And should I replace the shell having only one crack in one arm?

I wouldn't bother.

Loctite brand super glue professional in the cracks and then LIGHTLY sand the excess. Then after that, just the bases from a cheap quick release prop kit for reinforcement. So far, it's been working great for me.

I wouldn't bother.

I have ordered these and some Plast-Aid glue. I think I'll try this patch method.
My only concern with this would be not being able to see any other cracks forming having covered them up with the supports.

Strong Arm Reinforcement Plates

I have ordered these and some Plast-Aid glue. I think I'll try this patch method.
My only concern with this would be not being able to see any other cracks forming having covered them up with the supports.

Strong Arm Reinforcement Plates

Meh. It'd take you 2 minutes to pull them off and take a look once a month.

Reactions: SHRED
Meh. It'd take you 2 minutes to pull them off and take a look once a month.

Good point. I considered that however I thought since they suggest a little nail polish as a thread locker it would get messy after a few times.
Yeah I know I'm way over thinking this...lol.

I installed the UAV Bits reinforcement plates a year ago. So far, no motor mount cracks.
They were cheap, easy to install, no disassembly required and came with the required longer screws. Easy peasy.

The plates distribute the load better at the motor mounts and should slow any cracking in that area.

The big deal is their design eliminates (IMO) the possibility of cracks between the motor mount screws (if they occur) that sometimes allow a motor to separate from the drone in flight. That just can't happen with reinforcement plates installed.

These plates obviously will not prevent cracks in other places, but most drones do not get them. It appears, however that many do. Mine is 2 years old and has no cracks.

To your question about repair costs - it's several hours work plus a $79 shell. If I saw serious cracks forming, I would just replace the shell. It is a hobby, right? It might be fun. A commercial user would probably just send it in for repair. But with labor costs, it might make more sense to look for a new or refurb replacement aircraft.

Hope this helps.

I bought a new shell cost me 145+ installment 150 good investment for the long-haul

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl