Motor life expectancy

rfernandez said:
Has anyone has figured or found out what the life expectancy of the Phantom motors are?

Good question!! I haven't seen any comments regarding this. But we probably need some sense of this early on, not later, when reports of failures start coming in.

On my second phantom v1.1.1 with over 300 flights and no lubricating or maintenance. I do have one loose c clip rattling around my LED light, where did that come from? But no issues of heat or failure....yet......

I have virtually no experience with any kind of RC motors, but with electric motors in general, they tend to get noisy as a first sign of failure. So, if any of my phantom motors started to make unusual noises, I'd replace it, if not all four.

Since my last phantom tumbled out of the sky from 200 feet due to a soldering failure, I always start my flights with a stable hover at about 5-10 feet, then hard stick from side to side and fore and aft. Only then do trust the craft to fly with reasonable safety. Still won't fly over people, and only over water rarely.

ronhiner said:
I have virtually no experience with any kind of RC motors, but with electric motors in general, they tend to get noisy as a first sign of failure. So, if any of my phantom motors started to make unusual noises, I'd replace it, if not all four.

Since my last phantom tumbled out of the sky from 200 feet due to a soldering failure, I always start my flights with a stable hover at about 5-10 feet, then hard stick from side to side and fore and aft. Only then do trust the craft to fly with reasonable safety. Still won't fly over people, and only over water rarely.

Good insights!! Thank you. I'll pay much closer attention to the sound of the motors now.

Before going high in every flight i take the phantom 2 vision into a stable hover at arround 5-10 meter altitude and i put full throttle up 5 meter, then down 5 meter, tilt hard left, right, front and back then i let it hover 30 seconds and if everything is stable and i ear no weird noise i start flying for real. Im at arround 40 flights and 0 crash or problems, once i did ear a circlip moving arround under the motor so i removed it and tighted it using plyers then everything was tight again tested and flown nicely.

Im at about 160 flights, still 0 problem, 0 crash, using this protocol before most flights.

Great question and great advice. I'll start doing similar system checks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic