Motor isn't spinning properly?!

Reaction score
The last flight was fine & no problems about 10 days ago. Today I bought the new controller and after binding it, updating the firmware and going to test it, one of the motors doesn't appear to be spinning properly. Here is a link to the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcGervqBF-o

Could this be a firmware issue or has the motor failed?

Thanks,

Nick

How does the motor feel ? Is it binding ? May be your esc.
I'd just reload all your firmware a gain see what happens. Maybe loose esc motor wire ?

Does that motor stop sooner than the others? That would indicatate some obstructions in the motor or bearing problems.
Otherwise it's probably a problem with the ESC board. Like Mori55 said, check the wiring, open it up.

I had something very similar happen. In an effort to compensate for the weak motor the others tried to keep it in the air and did a 45 degree into the ground!

Thanks for the replies - so worth changing the esc first then!!

The distributor has said it's not covered by warranty even though its 3 months and a week old! Apparently the motors are only covered for 3 months - if it is the esc its covered by apparently will take 2 to 3 months to ascertain and fix!!

Is it easy to change the esc? Does it require soldering etc? I read it was easy and plugs in & out and also that it needs to be soldered....?!

Finding out first hand how poor DJI support is!! Guess a DJI Inspire is a bad idea....! :(

Thanks in advance,

Nick

Going through the same episode now!
Front right motor suddenly started spinning slower and red led underneath that motor didn't come on
Replaced the ESC over the weekend - Soldering is required on 5 places. 3 to motor, 2 to power. Very delicate process must say. You will need some patience and a steady hand.
Now the red led comes on but, the motor is still spinning a bit slower than the rest.
Re-did all the firmware upgrades. That didn't change anything.
So, my next step is to replace the motor and see if everything comes right.

Gustav, are you replacing the parts yourself or getting a dealer to do it? I can't believe the DJI service - it's really disappointing!

The dealer is willing to help, but I don't have the patience to wait for them.
My first soldering job in 20 years. Must say, I was a bit hesitant and had to get some guts to do it, but think I managed quite well at the end.
I am in South Africa, so can't get it done through DJI - will take tooooo long.

I'm based in HK, probably no more than 50 miles from the factory & doesn't look like I'll wait or get ripped off by them either!! Good luck with it - did you take any videos of you changing the esc?

I did take some photo's but don't know how to post them here, without linking to a URL
Some other way I can send them to you?
Also a bit under pressure to get my daughter through her school maths exams today and tomorrow.
You will also find some useful videos on YouTube - just look for DJI Phantom 2 Vision ESC replacement
Good luck. The warranty on ESC from DJI is 12 months. On the motor it is 3 months.
So, if you have time I would let them do the work under the guarantee.

I went back to the dealer who told me it had a 12 month warranty on the whole unit. He was fairly surprised to find out that wasn't actually true.

DJI have said I must pay for shipping and for them to investigate the problem. I guess I'd get the esc for free but as its 3 months and a week or two old, I have to pay for motors and everything else!!

I'm massively unimpressed, and given they're quoting 2 to 3 months to fix it. I have little to no interest in dealing with them :(

Looks like an ESC to me. I think the ESCs are only about $20 to replace, so I would go that route. Unfortunately there is a chance that it could be the flight controller too. In that case, if you buy and replace the ESC (try not to do any additional damage to the old one), you will have a spare ESC for your kit, but it depends totally on the failure mode of the FC whether it will be easily repairable (it could just be an intermittent connection to the ESC from the FC).

By the way, my quad has an off-speed (idle only) motor too, but it doesn't affect the vehicle in flight. Mine is more stable than yours. It just looks like the prop isn't moving at all (thus it is in sync with the camera taking the video - while the others are not).

Laserblues2 said:
Ok, the Phantom also has three quick red flashes and one green flash. Not sure what this means?

Means you don't have enough satellites to obtain GPS lock are you outside or just testing it inside?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie