Motor got wrapped in grass during landing - seems fine though?

CJD

Reaction score
Hi,

As I landed awkwardly (still learning) in a cut field of grass, one motor became entangled in a few strands. Literally for a second and the mobile app starting beeping at me that a motor was obstructed.

All seems fine, still works okay and motor spins freely, but do you think this could have done any lasting damage?

Thanks

from what i understand it can damage the ESC, but sounds like you got away with it

The ESCs are supposed to have some level of protection and do communicate with the MC so there would most likely be additional messages or warnings if there is any permanent damage. Good to know how to initiate a CSC (emergency power cut-off) for such situations.

Thanks both. Just did a quick 5 minute test flight and all seemed fine, phew!

It actually happened at the start of that 3 second wait as you hold the left stick down and wait for the motors to shutdown. Think I will swap to CSC from now on as you suggest as its much quicker :)

Reactions: Reed L
CSC for emergency only.

Left stick down (only) for normal shut-off as CSC is known to contribute to tip-overs. Then you'll have more than one prop/motor stalling.

Reactions: dirkclod
Hand catch it. I have lots of flights and have never landed on the ground, always hand catch. To hand catch you need to use a neck lanyard. Leave left hand on transmitter (RC), bring aircraft down to a level above your head but low enough to grab a landing gear with your right hand. Once you have hold of the aircraft landing gear with your right hand, move the throttle (left stick) all the way down until the motors stop. Do not bring the aircraft down from over your head until the motors have stopped.

Some people say hand catching is dangerous.
The following are a must:
1. Use a lanyard to hold the transmitter.
2. Don't touch the RC sticks once you have reached an altitude above your head but low enough to reach the landing gear and you have grasped the landing gear with your RIGHT hand.
3. Stop the motors by bringing the left stick all the way down.
3. Don't bring the aircraft down from above your head until the motors have stopped.

Reactions: Trackman1 and GKPK
Do NOT do CSC when you land. Watch this video. I flipped my P3S when i first got it trying to do CSC.

Thanks both. Just did a quick 5 minute test flight and all seemed fine, phew!

It actually happened at the start of that 3 second wait as you hold the left stick down and wait for the motors to shutdown. Think I will swap to CSC from now on as you suggest as its much quicker :)

I tried CSC for the first couple of landings with my P3A. It tipped over every time. I now use left stick down with no problems.

Good luck, Jim

Reactions: 10X
Righto, interesting vid, will be avoiding the CSC for landing then!

Not sure I'm up to hand catching yet. Seen some of those photos floating around of when it goes wrong ...

Reactions: 10X and telescott
This video was made as a joke because a friend was cut catching his quad. the video sucks because it was from an old analog camera

Hand catching is very easy and definetly the way to land.
I stayed away from hand catching for awhile and then one day tried it and have never gone back. A lot easier and safer than you might think, until you try it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20