Motor Burnout and Upgrading Motors

Reaction score
Hi there.

A newbie to quad copter flying, thanks to a thoughtful xmas gift from my SO.

First flight out lasted around 15 minutes, took some wonderful video footage and pictures, landed and tipped the quad over.

Rear left prop came to a sudden halt and lo and behold the prop now stutters as it appears so many have experienced before me.

Given the fact that I was in a rather remote location, I had a mate get me the spare motor as well as some prop guards and via shanks pony I received the parts a few days later.

Unfortunately the supplier had supplied the incorrect motor and I (now) understand there are two different specs for the Phantom 2 + out there.

That being the back ground - my questions are as follows:

1. Will the motor replacement fix the issue or is there a good chance the ESC has been fried?

2. If I choose to upgrade to the "new improved" motors, I gather I need to change the motors as well as the ESC - is this the case?

Given the fact that I am originally an accountant, the idea of using a `Solder gun' is daunting to say the least. So I really do not want to have to do more than I have to until I have practiced a bit more on getting solder to form a nice bead, instead of splattering it all over the table.

Your advice would be much appreciated

Tony

Hey Tony,

Your ESC is most likely shot. The motors are pretty rugged unless they take a pretty hard knock or several beatings over time. There are 2 versions of the ESCs as well, but the newer one can be used in place of the older there. If your P2 is that new it should already have the upgraded ESCs and motors.

HopHopper said:
Yup RDCF550, the ESC was the cause of the issue.

Replaced and am now a happy flyer once again.

Good for you dude! The tip over is one of the most common early mistakes on any quad or Heli... The ground turbulence is tricky and the key is to pull your throttle down steady and straight and kill the motors as quickly as possible...

When taking off... Get it 5 feet off the ground as quickly as possible after motor start to keep ground wash effect to a minimum.

You may know all of this already... But I thought I'd share....

Some people swear by catching the quad... I'm sure that's fine since there is fairly low torque on each rotor.. And certainly would work if you don't have even ground to land on... But I have a hard time bringing myself to do it after having flown 500 and 600 sized heli's which would lop an arm off in an instant :)

Glad your back to flying... It's certainly an addiction!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers