Motor bearings

No lubrication necessary...brushless motors have sealed bearings...

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

They are a sealed bearing but you can get more oil in by immersing (bearing only) in oil. Pulling a vacuum on the oil bath helps. Excess oil will seep out though and attract grit.

I wouldnt bother. Spinning by hand and feeling for play or binding as part of your pre flight will let you know when motor or bearing replacement is necessary.

They are a sealed bearing but you can get more oil in by immersing (bearing only) in oil. Pulling a vacuum on the oil bath helps. Excess oil will seep out though and attract grit.

I wouldnt bother. Spinning by hand and feeling for play or binding as part of your pre flight will let you know when motor or bearing replacement is necessary.

Get real!!

Get real!!
Sorry Jason.... you have an issue with my comment? You can encourage oil to go inside a sealed bearing. I have done it using simple laboratory equipment to apply a vacuum to the oil bath.

Given the OP's concern may have been motor reliability in service i offered a further suggestion as to how they could simply monitor the health of the motors. I have never had a motor fail in flight on a lot of different models however i have detected failing bearings by performimg this simple pre flight check.

Sorry Jason.... you have an issue with my comment? You can encourage oil to go inside a sealed bearing. I have done it using simple laboratory equipment to apply a vacuum to the oil bath.

Given the OP's concern may have been motor reliability in service i offered a further suggestion as to how they could simply monitor the health of the motors. I have never had a motor fail in flight on a lot of different models however i have detected failing bearings by performimg this simple pre flight check.

What I think he meant is that it's ridiculous to think anyone is going to use laboratory equipment to apply vacuum to the sealed bearings of his motors to get more oil in them[emoji14] I think it's more realistic someone will spin the motor and if it doesn't feel smooth, spend $18 and buy a new one[emoji848][emoji106]

Reactions: jason
What I think he meant is that it's ridiculous to think anyone is going to use laboratory equipment to apply vacuum to the sealed bearings of his motors to get more oil in them[emoji14] I think it's more realistic someone will spin the motor and if it doesn't feel smooth, spend $18 and buy a new one[emoji848][emoji106]

Precisely why I suggested exactly that in my original post. I said you can get oil in them but it isnt worth bothering with these morors (they are cheap and readily available).

Should have just said agreed then after my post instead of all that garbage[emoji106]

Should have just said agreed then after my post instead of all that garbage[emoji106]

Thank you. Couldn't have said it better.

Garbage? No. Because not all brushless motors have sealed bearings AND i wanted to offer the OP a suggestion as to how he might (through a simple pre flight check) have comfort the bearings were in good condition.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4