Most cost effective stabilization - gimbal or otherwise

Reaction score
Having just dropped a fair amount of $ on the Phantom, I am not overly eager to spend another $300 on a gimbal (zenmuse, etc) and am wondering if that price range is my only option to stabilize in-flight filming?

Thanks,
Bill

If you are looking to hold your horizon as you fly around and have more of a "floating" look to the video a gimbal is the most practical solution. Stabilization in post is an option but do to the rolling shutter of cameras still won't look good.

I think the key here is what you realistic budget actually can be. Yes you can buy cheap stabilising solutions but I think I speak for many in here when I say that you will end up wanting/getting something better if you go the cheap route.

Servo based gimbals can be obtained for like $50... they work 'ok' but are no Brushless gimbal.

A fair few people have had really good results with a 'goodluckybuy' brushless gimbal... these can be obtained for under $100 but can take a few weeks to come and if you get a bad one then fixing it can be a real trial. Many have got them and the work out of the box though so if $100 is worth the gamble then it is at least an option. Downside is weight and the resulting lower flight times which will mean you will end up buying more batts over time.

IMO a Feiy-tech G3 Brusless gimbal is good value. I am in the UK but I think you can get one in the US fo about $130? It isn't quite as capable as a Zenmuse but you can now get it with a Phantom mount (so no raising the landing gear needed). Very close in quality of a Tarot but is a more enclosed design (no control board visible and it has buttons for tilting without needing the RC transmitter). The Tarot arguably has better roll stabilisation currently but the G3 is in its infancy and Feiyu Tech are working on improving it via firmware.

If you want more info on the G3 let me know... I have done a LOT of testing with it.

I think whichever route you go the key thing is to spend wisely. Don't waste $50 getting a solution that you will only bin after 3 months. Better to enjoy the Phantom shakey video for 3 months and save for a proper Brushless in the long term.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.