Most appropriate video editing software

Reaction score
Please don't shoot me if this subject has been done to death. I tried some search phrases but couldn't find any one thread on the subject so thought I'd capture all the wisdom here in one place!

Here in windy, rainy and to be truthful, bloody awful UK, not being able to fly is becoming a major problem. Anyway, while waiting I thought I'd turn my attention to video editors for the 5 minutes of footage I have been able to collect in the past month!!

Now, I've had a good look around the subject of video editors and I've watched YouTube, Udemy and various other video sites on the all singing, all dancing stuff like Final Cut Pro, Davinci Resolve etc. However, it seems that I'd have to remortgage the house to buy the hardware needed to set up a decent editing system. The wife ain't gonna go for that!

My question then is simple, what have you guys found out there in the wild that can make a good job of the video created by the P3P etc? It doesn't have to be fancy, or flashy, or expensive. Just competent. If you could also highlight what pc / mac spec required that would be a bonus. The two seem to go very much hand in glove.

Thanks in advance. David.

I use Adobe premier elements. Does not cost an arm and a leg and still has pretty powerful features.

Please don't shoot me if this subject has been done to death. I tried some search phrases but couldn't find any one thread on the subject so thought I'd capture all the wisdom here in one place!

Here in windy, rainy and to be truthful, bloody awful UK, not being able to fly is becoming a major problem. Anyway, while waiting I thought I'd turn my attention to video editors for the 5 minutes of footage I have been able to collect in the past month!!

Now, I've had a good look around the subject of video editors and I've watched YouTube, Udemy and various other video sites on the all singing, all dancing stuff like Final Cut Pro, Davinci Resolve etc. However, it seems that I'd have to remortgage the house to buy the hardware needed to set up a decent editing system. The wife ain't gonna go for that!

My question then is simple, what have you guys found out there in the wild that can make a good job of the video created by the P3P etc? It doesn't have to be fancy, or flashy, or expensive. Just competent. If you could also highlight what pc / mac spec required that would be a bonus. The two seem to go very much hand in glove.

Thanks in advance. David.
I'm relatively new at this, David. I've had some good success with Adobe Premier Elements. I also use Photoshop Elements. In the past (15 years or so) I've used the full blown Photoshop, but I find, these days, the "Elements" versions give me pretty much all the features I need and and they won't break the bank. Also, as of about 8 versions ago, Photoshop Elements processes "raw" stills. I'm using a laptop with an Intel Core i5 processor and 6 gigs of memory.

Reactions: movius
I've been using Adobe Premiere Pro and it's flawless. Windows movie maker is also good, just depends on what skill level you are at or what you want to learn. Premiere offers a ton of options and costs money as well, but you can learn a lot from it

I use premiere pro. For the basics, there is a very shallow learning curve

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Adobe seems to be coming up time and again. Do you have to use a pc / mac with a separate GPU and what do you guys suggest as the min spec for cpu and ram?

I currently have a laptop with 8gb ram and an AMD A10 processor. Don't know how that compares to an Intel i3 or i5 though.

As I mentioned, I'm finding you can't separate hardware and software.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have been using Camtasia Studio for a while now. Has a really nice and easy to use interface and includes a screen recorder (should you need one). I recently changed over to Premiere because it has way more capabilities than Camtasia does.

I have been using Camtasia Studio for a while now. Has a really nice and easy to use interface and includes a screen recorder (should you need one). I recently changed over to Premiere because it has way more capabilities than Camtasia does.
Do you know the recommended spec of the hardware for premiere? £17,50 a month for the software is OK but £1000+ for the hardware kinda hurts!

OK, lets see where this goes.

I've been using Wondershare Filmora for the past 6 months. (Running on a Windows 2003 server)(and Win XP on a laptop while I travel and do videos)

I'm not a "video guy" and this was just easy to get, install, and I'm pretty happy with what I've been getting. Provo from the air (for samples)

I'm sure its lacking all sorts of things, and I wouldn't mind comments from those in the know if this is a piece of crap compared to the Adobe products, or sufficient, and I should just continue with it.

When I last checked, it was only good for 1920x1080 though.
And I've wondered about "the next step" (aka 2.7k for my P3A)

Comments please.

Isn't GoPro a camera?

Yes, but they (4+) also take 4K video.... and have a video editor at home site, who is free to download. Before I have Pinnacle but with 4K you must have studio 19 ultimate and that costs some money...

I'm relatively new at this, David. I've had some good success with Adobe Premier Elements. I also use Photoshop Elements. In the past (15 years or so) I've used the full blown Photoshop, but I find, these days, the "Elements" versions give me pretty much all the features I need and and they won't break the bank. Also, as of about 8 versions ago, Photoshop Elements processes "raw" stills. I'm using a laptop with an Intel Core i5 processor and 6 gigs of memory.
Hi Rodger, do you know how the Intel i5 compares to the AMD A10 processor by any chance? When I tried Resolve, it was like it had gone on strike. Gorgeous software but no chance on a laptop.

I went with Cyberlink Power Director 14 about a month ago. So far no regrets. Price was right.
Seems to me there is a free trial.

By the way. The weather here in Canada sucks. Freezing rain and wind.

Reactions: Reed L
if you are running a mac, iMovie is quite good. Not all the feature set of FCP but does a lot.

Also its free if you have a recent mac, if not, its not much.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31