Most Annoying P3P Problem - Gimbal horizon not level

Reaction score
Has anyone found a fix yet for the gimbal horizon not being level? This is now my number one pet peeve with my P3P. I can work through the screen freezing, even the occasional disconnect, but the one consistent problem that has ruined hours of footage is the gimbal horizon.

I have gotten to the point to where I no longer show the horizon and keep the camera pointed down just below where the ground meets the sky to attempt to hide whatever tilt the gimbal is currently at.

Fixing pictures is very easy, I now add about 20 pixels to each framed shot to give myself enough room to straighten the tilt in post, but with video it is nearly impossible to fix. Not only does the gimbal tilt, it changes the degrees by which it tilts literally from frame to frame, especially after turns or active braking.

I have tried calibrating in the air (big waste of battery life and did not fix the issue), calibrating on the ground, adding degrees of tilt, etc. Nothing fixes it. My P2 with the H3 3D never had this issue, a quick ground calibration always fixed it for at least a few weeks of flying which tells me that DJI is capable of making a level gimbal. Also I have looked closely and have never seen the problem in I1 footage.

Horizon tilt is a real problem that has been reported literally countless times across several FW versions. There are two separate issues that I have been able to ascertain from reports.

1. Tilted horizon. This presents as an horizon that is constantly tilted in a similar direction and angle. This can be a mechanical issue or not. Each case is different. If not mechanical, it can be helped sometimes with a level IMU calibration followed by a standard gimbal calibration or a mid air gimbal calibration. It can sometimes also be helped with a gimbal roll adjustment. In prior FW versions, the gimbal roll adjustment value was volatile, meaning it would not remain set if you restarted your Phantom. The latest FW versions have changed this setting to be non-volatile, so once you set it the value will remain set.

2. Drifting horizon. This presents as a horizon that varies as you yaw. It will be level in one direction, slowly tilt one way, return to level, slowly tilt the other direction, then level again. It may also show as perfectly level to begin a flight, only to slowly drift out of level throughout the flight. Doing a level IMU and gimbal calibration may often give false hope as the horizon may appear to be level for a while, and then suddenly begin to drift out of level. Some people have been helped with this issue with each FW update, but many have not. From what I have read, this issue has been known to occur on the Inspire as well.

You will also hear in every horizon related thread that you need to do a calibration, you need to do a cold calibration, or that you are not doing your calibration correctly. Many seem to think it's a user error, but of course you know that you are doing your calibrations correctly and have done so numerous times with no fix.

Reactions: Numone
From all the tons of reading I have done about it, if you can't fix it with calibrations you need to send it in and actually get a replacement. I really think it's more a hardware issue. I bought mine used recently and the first thing to confirm is the horizon being straight, which it is and holds perfectly. If some don't have the problem and some have it, fatally so, it has to be a hardware issue with some birds, sorry to say. Really hope you can get it sorted.

Saw this example DJI video today on youtube with the new x5 camera and inspire1. Also seems the horizon is tilted in some shots, is this similar to your issues. Perspective could play a role.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

I am suffering from the same issue my friend!

I am also having this weird issue where the drone will pan ever so slightly to the left even when I'm totally off the sticks

Like you, I have done all the calibrations.

I have a few flights under my belt, and sadly only got this issue last one I did, I manually altered it in settings, and for the duration of the flights it was alright after that. Hope it doesn't start changing mid flight like some people are on about!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers