Morro Bay Ca

I would think you could drive out to the rock park in the parking lot move away from people and launch your drone with no problems. I also think you could drive out to the Back Bay Park in the lot walk out to a spot with not many people around here nobody around and launch your drone with the problems get some great Harbor shots there. You can drive north up the Coast Highway to I think it's called Atascadero State Beach pull up in the parking lot there and I recall there's a small Campground and day use - launch the drone and then fly along the coast. Don't forget Cayucos, just ten minutes or so North. Fly south and and I think you might make it to Morrow Rock. Bring Windsurfers just in case. Finally, rent a canoe, paddle across the bay to the dunes. You should find plenty of space and quiet there - until you launch that is :)

NoCo Drones

Thanks for the tips. City of Morro Bay has a ordinance banning drones in and around the harbor. I talked with them on the phone trying to get permission to fly there. Cayucos said they don't have anything banning them. So no problem there. Thought I would go out to Montano de oro in Los Osos.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Any news on droning at Morrow Bay? I was planning on going there for the weekend, but from what I'm reading, it doesn't look like they're very accommodating to droners.

I read a Morro Bay regulation (below) about aircrafts ("any aircraft"). Basically, you're not allowed to land or takeoff from the waters of Morro Bay. That doesn't restrict you from flying there. It also states "waters of Morro Bay", which means that there is no regulation against landing and taking off from land. Of course, I'm no lawyer, but if you get fined, you'll have to go through the hassles of challenging it, but you would probably win based on their regulation below.

I saw no other Morro Bay regulation on drones.

15.12.090 - Landing aircrafts restricted.

Except in an emergency, no person shall land on or take off from the waters of Morro Bay with any aircraft.

(Ord. 119 § 1 (part), 1974: prior code § 9402.9

Last edited:
@TinMan66 just remember there are LOTS of birds.... as the rock is a bird sanctuary

Was at Cayucos for a full week last week. Had no problems what so ever that whole week. Didn't venture south to Morro Bay.
Going to Morro Bay on President's weekend for three days. Hope wind is calm to fly. I can take off south of the harbor on the beach. Then venture out over the harbor. Will report back. Hope I, don't get ran off

@TinMan66 report back with images!
Was at Cayucos for a full week last week. Had no problems what so ever that whole week. Didn't venture south to Morro Bay.
Going to Morro Bay on President's weekend for three days. Hope wind is calm to fly. I can take off south of the harbor on the beach. Then venture out over the harbor. Will report back. Hope I, don't get ran off

TinMan66, I'm going there this weekend as well. Maybe I'll run into you.

Montana del Oro is a State Park. You'd probably be best advised to check with a ranger before flying there. I believe I am correct in saying that you can fly from any California beach as long as you are below the high tide line, because some agencies own the beach from their on land property out to the high tide line. Just don't fly over people. Fly over the water.

I'm not familiar with Morro Bay at all. I just drove through once coming from Monterey. I need some guidance on where to go to fly as a beginner and get some decent shots.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl