Morning surf. Trigg Beach, Perth Western Australia

olly3010 said:
Nice work!

Question - how did you manage to get your GP video to load into iMovie?

Hi. I use the import function in GoPro studio to convert and de-fisheye the Mp4 video. Then just import the resulting MOV file into the iMovie project.
GoPro video's are MP4 straight of the SD card. I've imported them in directly before so not sure why you can't.

Cheers
Joe

Hi Tex

I have some constructive feedback for you.

Your film has 3 main sections as per your choice of 3 different musical styles but basically going from gentle to frenetic. During the first section I was thinking, bummer there is not enough surf here and action to hold attention. I then thought you should have finished the film at 3:31 however I kept watching to the end. It would be interesting to see on your viewer stats when people leave the video. Youtubers have an ultra low attention span.

Most of the great shots, and there were plenty come in the later stages of the film and I would have been tempted to just use the absolute best shots and cut a shorter action packed video, but thats just personal preference.

The things I really liked though are

Your flying skills
The music - all 3 bits
Your editing matched with the beats and highlights well.
Using the town almost as cutaways when there was no surf action
The high speed passes up and down the beach but maybe a little over used.
The sideways pans along the beach tents which I will add to my list calling it a 'side by'
The slow motion transitions
The action shots of the surfers
The circling of the jet ski
The high point ending view of the beach.

What would lift it even more is a little ambient sound of the waves etc. I realise you can't get that from the quad but maybe use a digital recorder to capture some ambient sound.

Thanks for posting.
Shrimpy

Hi Shrimpy,
Much appreciate the feedback. I thought the same thing...kept the best till last and probably lost most people. I'm still in the 'in-love' phase of watching my own footage and need to be more brutal in cutting for 3rd party viewing.

I do need to refrain from 'over effects' too.

I still have the original files so am going to re-cut taking some of your advice.

As an aside this was a perfect flying day. It was about 27C at 6AM almost no wind this time of morning and a great subject. The sun coming low over the horizon created some great unplanned lighting effects through the lens.

Unfortunately the waves are not the quality and size of this video http://vimeo.com/83187924 by Eric Sterman but you have to make do with what you've got. It was the Sterman video that inspired this shoot.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4