More Wind Questions (P/F Mode, Litchi)

Reaction score
It's too windy for me to fly, so I figure just because I can't fly doesn't mean I can't learn more about flying!

I watched a videos on youtube of people flying the P3 in wind. What they don't seem to mention though is what mode they are in. My guess is, many of them are in Atti mode. I get for the more extreme wind videos they are, but I'm not sure on the less windy windy videos.

So here is a short list of questions I'm hoping to get help with...

1-What is about the max wind for P mode?
I understand it's not as powerful as Atti mode for wind.

2-I am using Litchi, what are the max winds for that program?
I totally understand it's in F mode, which is a lot like P mode for flight characteristics, and that it's the
phantom that handles the wind, not Litchi...but I'm curious to what max winds have people flow Litchi
missions in..and succeeded ;)

3-When you look at wind speed (Let's say it's 10 mph), do you go off of the ground wind to determine flying,
or do you go off the altitude you will be flying at wind speed?
Again, I understand "wind is wind" but when someone says they fly in a wind of 10 mph, I'm curious
where people are measuring this at.

I know it's a lot of questions, but I can't wait to fly more! Help a fellow phantom pilot get in the air more ;)

Thanks!!

Best answer to your questions is fly if you feel comfortable.

Only experts can fly in high wind conditions, others can fly comfortably say in 15 mph max winds.

If you are taking shots in windy conditions, you might see props shadows due to excessive tilt of P3.

Also avoid using prop guards in windy conditions. Winds are higher at heights so judge yourself if you are comfortable at that height, if not fly low or if still not comfortable, take it down.

Thanks for the reply. I don't like to push the limits of the machine in P mode, but don't know what they are. THAT is what makes ME uncomfortable more than anything.

Using Litchi with F mode leaves me wondering a bit where the boundaries are. Just looking for that "oh, you are more than fine if you are 15 mph or under" kind of thing...or 20 or 10...whatever it may be. :) I guess I'm not the kind for finding out myself as it just sounds too risky to do.

I would rather learn from the experience and/or mistakes of others then to make them on my own. I'll make plenty though, I'm sure of that :)

Reactions: embayweather
What they don't seem to mention though is what mode they are in. My guess is, many of them are in Atti mode. I get for the more extreme wind videos they are, but I'm not sure on the less windy windy videos.
1-What is about the max wind for P mode?
I understand it's not as powerful as Atti mode for wind.
Most flying is done in P mode - because P mode uses the GPS to give the Phantom position holding.
In atti mode the Phantom will not fight the wind to hold position, it will drift wherever the wind pushes it.
When you see reports of flyers claiming great speeds, they are in atti mode and rather than who flew the fastest, it's just a matter of how strong was the fastest wind they hitched a ride on.
3-When you look at wind speed (Let's say it's 10 mph), do you go off of the ground wind to determine flying,
or do you go off the altitude you will be flying at wind speed?
Again, I understand "wind is wind" but when someone says they fly in a wind of 10 mph, I'm curious
where people are measuring this at.
Wind strength is something that most people are not able to accurately estimate and very few flyers have any way of measuring wind speed before they take off.
Many rely on forecasts or reports from the web or apps and these may or may not be relevant to the actual site and time they fly.

You can get an estimate of wind speed while flying.
The Phantom will do 15 metres/sec in still air.
If you are flying directly into a headwind and can only make 5 m/s over the ground, you are dealing with a 10 m/s headwind.
Not a pleasant situation to find your Phantom in, if you've just flown a long distance downwind.

I use UAV Forecast app. You can set height parameters to see wind speeds at higher altitudes. It's a great free app, you can purchase it for a year, that gives you the 7 day forecast. The free version shows the 24 hour forecast. I use it all the time, it has a lot of other information like number of satellites available, temperature, wind speed and direction.

Reactions: NRJ
I use UAV Forecast app. You can set height parameters to see wind speeds at higher altitudes. It's a great free app, you can purchase it for a year, that gives you the 7 day forecast. The free version shows the 24 hour forecast. I use it all the time, it has a lot of other information like number of satellites available, temperature, wind speed and direction.

That's one of the things I'm using. So, my questions are this...
1-What altitude are you set at?
2-What wind speed is your max that you don't fly in?
3-Are you flying in P and or F mode?

You can get an estimate of wind speed while flying.
The Phantom will do 15 metres/sec in still air.
If you are flying directly into a headwind and can only make 5 m/s over the ground, you are dealing with a 10 m/s headwind.
Not a pleasant situation to find your Phantom in, if you've just flown a long distance downwind.

Thanks! So (for me) that equates to 33 miles per hour...is that in P mode?

1) my RTH altitude
2)15 mph posted on public weather sites due to living on a lake in a slight valley which concentrates and funnels the wind to an equivilent 20-27 mph
3) P mostly but Atti for practice and sometimes to pinpoint wind speed
above the lake.

1) my RTH altitude
2)15 mph posted on public weather sites due to living on a lake in a slight valley which concentrates and funnels the wind to an equivilent 20-27 mph
3) P mostly but Atti for practice and sometimes to pinpoint wind speed
above the lake.

Thanks for such an informative answer! That makes A LOT of sense.

I guess I haven't EVER paid this much attention to wind, and there is a learning curve...and of course wind changes so much. Thank you much!

Reactions: Air Ontario

Well, using UAV Forecast app
1. I'm still in beginners mode, my third flight today.....
so I set Altitude in UAV Forecast app to 90 ft for wind speed
and see what speed is at surface.
2. Personally, If it's 16+ mph at 100 ft, I usually won't take mine that high, but I'll fly over
tree line.....40-60 ft......wind speed at surface be less than 10mph.
3. As for now, I always fly in P mode.......But after a few more flights, I'll
take it out of beginners mode, and experiment with other modes.

I still check local weather stations for wind speed at ground level, for app accuracy.
I don't trust weather apps a 100%

Well, using UAV Forecast app
1. I'm still in beginners mode, my third flight today.....
so I set Altitude in UAV Forecast app to 90 ft for wind speed
and see what speed is at surface.
2. Personally, If it's 16+ mph at 100 ft, I usually won't take mine that high, but I'll fly over
tree line.....40-60 ft......wind speed at surface be less than 10mph.
3. As for now, I always fly in P mode.......But after a few more flights, I'll
take it out of beginners mode, and experiment with other modes.

I still check local weather stations for wind speed at ground level, for app accuracy.
I don't trust weather apps a 100%
You sound like my twin! That's about where I'm at too! Thanks for the info!

Last edited:
Some small advise on how to learn the controls with ATTI mode. Start in an open area, free of obstacles for the given altitude you have chosen. FREE OF OBSTACLES,
Elevate to said altitude, then have a plan to move the bird from point a to point b and back, a straight line thru the airspace. Change mode to ATTI, run the course with focus on your imaginary line. If you get off track and you feel that you are losing control, switch back to P, take a deep breath, and move the craft back to your line. This will teach you more than you can imagine. You will learn most aspects of control from this simple line. When you have this down, change your plan to a box or circle, etc.
!!!! Remember, when you feel you are losing control, a finger on the trigger to P mode will stabilize the craft, so quickly switch it, let go of the sticks, and those wonderful electronics you paid so much for will hold the craft in place, allowing for you to regain your composure.
IMHO, ATTI is a must learn, you never know when you may need it, but don't force it in such a manner that you feel you have to learn it in an unsafe condition, wide open space is best for beginner ATTI mode. If that sounds redundant, it was meant to.
Be safe, have fun!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: NRJ

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr