More precise stock Tx method

Reaction score
Not an original idea at all, heard it from "NightFlyer" on Youtube and now use the method myself:

"Pinch" the remote control sticks between thumbs and forefingers, right down as close to the remote controller as possible, with the sides of your hands resting flat against the RC. The increased precision in control input is remarkable!

My apologies to those for whom this is "old news". For me it is a revelation.

Pinch versus thumbs is like Mac v PC :). Use what is more comfortable for you and allows you to fly the way you want.

ElGuano said:
Pinch versus thumbs is like Mac v PC :)

So are you implying that Steve Jobs was a pincher and Bill Gates is a thumber? Or do I have that backwards? :D

@bigbells: I love the pinch method as well, but I've also seen some pretty impressive flying from those who thumb it. It's kind of like driving a car, everybody puts their hands on the wheel in the way that works best for them.

If I hadn't read about it, it might have taken a long time for me to even think of trying the "pinch down low on the sticks" method. I was glad to be given the idea and glad to pass it on in case there are others who hadn't thought of it who could benefit from it, as I did.

I probably should have titled my post "method that works better for me" rather than "more precise method". Comme ci comme ca.

Bigbells said:
I probably should have titled my post "method that works better for me" rather than "more precise method". Comme ci comme ca.

Coming down to brass tacks, I'd definitely argue that pinching is "more precise" and I think the vague general consensus of flyers actually agree on that. It's not that you can't be precise using thumbs (clearly, some people are superhumanly so), but generally speaking grasping something is more stable than balancing it. I just can't get it to feel natural. Too many years of hardwired hand-eye from gamepads :)

I use my thumbs, but I will have to try the low down pinch method, especially if I'm filming rather than buzzing around in FPV mode :)

Thanks for the tip!

Pinching down low probably has the advantage of additional support for the hand. Makes me wonder if a mounted ring at about half way up on the stick would provide even more precision.
With that said, there is still the element of responsiveness of the aircraft.

Obviously, pinching the sticks down low produces a greater amount of response for a given amount of movement, compared to moving the sticks from their ends. Whether this logically produces more precise control I couldn't tell you, but in practice it does, at least for some of us.

Then there's the fact that someone already mentioned: holding the stick between two fingers is more secure than holding it with the tip of the least sensitive human digit, the thumb.

Sometimes all of my fingers are thumbs, so it's best for me not to use just those digits that are doubly thumbly.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20