Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

More negative press in the UK

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by wattage, Dec 7, 2014.

1. wattage

2. Noël

Noël Guest

Pffffff...

3. PhantomFanatic

This is exactly the press our hobby doesn't need! After the FAA figures out the rules of commercial drone use, I fear that private drone use will be next.

Where can I get someone to put out that kind of money for a Christmas present? But, I'm not a parent, so I'm out of touch with the reality of the amount one would spend on a kid's gift.

4. Noël

Noël Guest

It's not only kids who get Christmas present!

5. msinger

Approved Vendor

I doubt the majority of people will be using drones for commercial use when it's legal. Judging from the age of the people on this forum who have revealed their identity, I think mostly big kids are flying these right now :)

6. MadMitch88

I'm not an aerospace engineer --- but why dont they install "rebar cages" over the front of jet engines?

It wouldnt be hard to construct a "rebar cage" that could totally mitigate a bird strike or hitting a 2-pound plastic toy, correct?

I doubt it would take complex physics calculations to prove my idea --- launch a 10 lb. goose at a rebar mesh at 500 MPH and all you gonna get is blood spatter and feathers coming out the other end! Try doing it with a Phantom and all you'll get is white plastic dust and some teeny tiny electronic particles !!

Problem solved, mates. Your welcome .... send the $1 million check to my PayPal account. :p

7. FlyingFox

This is old news and was published at the time , wonder why it's re surfaced , I'm all for safety and condone idiots flying near airports or over the 400' height , but wonder why this has been re published .

Attached Files:

8. fly-catchers

It seems to have stemmed from todays "Sunday Times" where it both got the front page (!) and an article inside about "Santa's drones threaten air disaster"! So a no news day and a christmas connection! Despite a drawing of somebody flying a Phantom directly towards an airliner I very very much doubt it was actually a Phantom. But its an easy target!

bill

9. SteveMann

A ten pound goose, or a 3 pound Phantom would probably not cause a crash, but at worst cause an engine shutdown because of broken compressor blades. But to your idea, the intake nacelle of jet engines is a finely tuned instrument of aerodynamics. Adding a bird cage to it would introduce many evils including compressor flutter which would destroy the engine in a few seconds.

10. MadMitch88

Well your aerospace knowledge is far above mine --- but I always thought modern jetliners can still fly with one engine disabled?

A large flock of birds poses a much greater threat to commercial airliners because of the potential to knock out all engines (ie, Flight 1549 that Sully landed in the Hudson) --- but drones wont pose this kind of danger unless it's a coordinated attack by a terrorist group --- but even then VERY technically difficult to achieve --- probably need to have HUNDREDS of drones hovering at the end of a runway.