More Info on Flytrex

I have heard this before also but no specifics on the incompatibility. I recall it mentioned that it doesn't correctly report the battery voltage. I like the Flytrex for the tracking & app functions. I don't care about the ultra-detailed logging capability as the Phantom 3 does that on its own.

One thing I've noticed is Flytrex has designed a P3 (Pro/Advanced) integration solution that avoids opening the bird or soldering by tapping into the VPS module for data/power. Personally I'd rather open the aircraft, tap directly into the GPS & power, & have a single small plug to the Flytrex without using the VPS connection. I suspect if battery voltage isn't correctly reported it is tapping in this way causing the error (you get voltage at the VPS instead of direct from the battery). I plan on ordering a few of these soon for my P3 units & need to check on this before ordering.

Yeah - I've heard people say it's not fully compatible for the P3, but then when I relay that, other people have said I'm wrong and it's fully compatible. <shrug>

I think "not fully compatible" is not really the right wording. It is "compatible" .. I have it on my P3P and use it, so it must be compatible with at least one P3P. There is one issue, which is on startup, sometimes it does not go past the red LED stage to the next stage. If you then power off and then try again it is fine. There is a theory proposed which is it is related to the IMU warming up although I have not had a chance to look more at this area but will when I can.

I think there's disappointment that more flight telemetry is not capture from the P3 and sent to the flytrex site, however that would take additional development by flytrex. And, I think this was the hope of many users as it's such a capable device.

I can tell you I did have an issue with the adapter board I received, but they sent another and all is fine. I use the H2O wireless SIM in the US and that works fine.

What I do like is that it records location ever 1 second which is far greater frequency than the trackimo (every 1 minute) which I also tested as alot can happen in 60 seconds in terms of tracking info needed to find a lost drone (my main purpose). The other side of that coin is that the trackimo will keep broadcasting even if the UAV has lost power, and the flytrex won't as it gets power and GPS location from the UAV. I think those are the basic trade-offs. That, and it needs a GSM signal to work, so if you're in an area with no GSM cell coverage, it wont' be able to report its location.

If more development were put into flytrex to capture additional telemetry live it would be outstanding; but, I don't think we know anything about that.

It could be that DJI offers an add-on OEM module similar to flytrex in the future - this would be a great approach. (or build it in to a future model so that the user just supplies the SIM card).

We don't really have good stats here on how frequent these issues are .. we have people reporting some of these issues, but no clear data on how many flytrex are flying on P3's that work fine - could be if you look at the flytrex site you may be able to tell (don't know .. haven't tried).

I will say that it takes some effort to install, so if you're not up for that, then there are other trackers that don't need that type of install work to be used.

good luck!

My flytrex tracks every half second (500 ms), but I have a P2V. Is a P3 every 1000 ms?

My guess is that cellular tracking is going to be in the future one way or the other.

Imagine at some point in the future Amazon needs to ship an important package 40 miles away.

So it straps the package to the drone and the drone takes off on its GS mission. After X number of miles, the battery is running low, so it auto-flies to a convenient recharge station which in the future are littered every few miles in every direction. It auto-lands and the technician immediately removes the near depleted battery, slaps in a fresh one, presses a button, and off she goes.

Etc.

She makes 40 miles in about an hour and a half and successfully delivers the package, and the entire trip is tracked and documented by both the shipper and receiver via a flytrex-like cellular tracking system.

My flytrex tracks every half second (500 ms), but I have a P2V. Is a P3 every 1000 ms?

yes seems to be. approx every 1 second or 1.1 seconds (based on my flight logs) .. varies slightly and I would suppose is based on the frequency from which it can grab data off of the data bus, or maybe it's set to do that less frequently than earlier versions ..

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie