More Info on Flytrex

Reaction score
Was reading a thread on tracking drones, and the author was praising "Flytrex". I went to the website but cannot figure out what is exactly needed to be able to view the telemetry of where the drone is in case of loss of FPV. Can someone please breakdown what exactly is needed. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

There are several ways.

You sign into Flytrex with your Flytrex app. The moment you start your flight, a clickable icon message lights up stating you have a live flight. You click on that, and shazaam, you are viewing your live flight on a google earth map.

Or you can wait until FPV goes out, then start your Flytrex app, sign in, and hit the icon.

Or you can go to Flytrex Explore with any browser. And you may get a notifcation that user whozit, who happens to be you, is flying live right now! Click on it. Watch your flight live. Your grandmother in Ohio can also click on it and watch your craft flying live. So can your uncle in Arizona.

Here is what flytrex explore looks like: Flytrex - Quadcopter and Multirotor Pilots Network

If there's somebody flying anywhere on the planet, you get a notification and you can then click on it and watch him fly live.

Last edited:
How does the app connect to your vehicle.

Also, do you use a separate device to run Flytrex?

Not sure what you mean by vehicle. Do you mean your car? Or do you mean your monitor? Or do you mean your aircraft?

If you go to flytrex.com, you can read all about how it works.

You attach the Live 3G device to the bottom of your aircraft. When you fly, it sends a signal carrying data which is picked up by the nearest cell tower. The data is sent to a server which puts it on the internet.

You log onto the internet in whatever way works for you. Smart phone, tablet, desktop, whatever. The running data is displayed live in a viewable format. You watch your aircraft fly live.

When your drone goes down, crashes or autolands, open the app, see a red pindrop on the map, thats your bird. The blue dot is you(your phone) now go towards it and connect the dots. Easy and ive done it many times. Always found bird in minutes
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1456624987.168013.jpg

Too bad about needing cells. Won't work where I fly.

What is the approximate cost to get this setup?

To use Flytrex, there is the app to download, and then what? Is there something that attaches to the P3A.

If you read the info on the site, it explains things fairly well.

My understanding is the apps are for the Sky aircraft system. It's a unique system in that the aircraft can be controlled with a cellular signal rather than an RC signal. Obviously this removes the range limitations that RC aircrafts have. However, you still have the battery limitations (and of course the FAA VLOS limitations). Also, my understanding is you have no FPV as it is, although you can set it up if you wish - using an RC signal.

The Sky is pretty interesting but very few people seem to be buying it.

The Live 3G is much more popular. It's an upgrade to the Core, which tracked off line much like this (watch first 40 secs).

The Live 3G is live, so you get to see the data as it happens rather than after it happens. And it will enable you to find your aircraft if you lose it.

Yes, you need to purchase the device and attach the device to your aircraft.

Last edited:
The Live 3G is $189, the P3 connector is $19, & if you have a Pro or Advanced you'll want the mounting bracket for another $19. Shipping is $5 but it ships from Israel so unless you want to wait a month I suggest the $25 shipping option.

What is the approximate cost to get this setup?

Or you could just go on ebay and buy a cheap tracker and fit it to your drone.
Thats what I have done with the rf-v12 gps tracker.
Flytrex has put me on the list to notify when the issue is resolved and I will purchase another flytrex.

There are several ways.

You sign into Flytrex with your Flytrex app. The moment you start your flight, a clickable icon message lights up stating you have a live flight. You click on that, and shazaam, you are viewing your live flight on a google earth map.

Or you can wait until FPV goes out, then start your Flytrex app, sign in, and hit the icon.

Or you can go to Flytrex Explore with any browser. And you may get a notifcation that user whozit, who happens to be you, is flying live right now! Click on it. Watch your flight live. Your grandmother in Ohio can also click on it and watch your craft flying live. So can your uncle in Arizona.

Here is what flytrex explore looks like: Flytrex - Quadcopter and Multirotor Pilots Network

If there's somebody flying anywhere on the planet, you get a notification and you can then click on it and watch him fly live.

I just clicked on that link and saw a Dirtybum on there flying in Iowa. Same user as on here?

Yeah - I've heard people say it's not fully compatible for the P3, but then when I relay that, other people have said I'm wrong and it's fully compatible. <shrug>

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl