Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

More editing practice...

Discussion in 'Photos and Video' started by pokercop, Apr 1, 2014.

1. pokercop

This is where I am so far. I have never done video editing until about a week ago so I am trying to teach muself to use FCPX. OMG it is a long process! Anyway, you will see my skill level is very low right now, but practice makes perfect!

http://youtu.be/q7GTEP5HENg

2. thedjiguy

Good edit, and not bad video either. You may want to tilt the camera down a little to avoid seeing the props/prop guards in the video

3. tgrizzle73

Nice video! Why did YouTube allow you to use that Awolnation song but they denied me? I'm jealous, because I had spent a long time editing a whole video to that song. Anyway, I have been shooting in 1080p on the medium setting instead of wide and that has greatly reduced the props in my frame. Keep up the good work!

4. pokercop

Thanks! I'm pretty sure I was on medium and not wide, although I could be wrong. I will definately keep looking for the perfect pitch on the gimbal to block out the red lights, while still having a good forward picture. As for the song, I am not sure how or why YouTube does things. It says it has a copywright song on it but says that it will still be allowed to play. Who knows. Maybe it won't work on certain devices or countries.

5. 4wd

4wd

The Awolnation song seems to be blocked on youtube in Germany, for some reason I've seen a similar issue a few times.
    Some good shots in that video, the turning/panning needs to be slower, you could even slow that section down while editing maybe?
    Also best keep any intro and details to 10 seconds max - I guess that was a somewhat unusual one in that you were specifically showing the settings used.

6. Shrimpfarmer

I agree just go with a title at the start and lose the information to the end of the film. Its nice to put it in though as people often want to know what settings you used.

I would slow the flying down quite a bit. Smooth is good and reserve anything fast and furious to when the music demands it. Your edits were mostly in time with the beat but could be sharper still. I try to avoid clips with the camera tilting as I never think it looks that good.

The key to a good film is to keep serving up different views of your subject and to change locations frequently. Thanks to youtube human attention spans are now measured in micro seconds. Its a shame but sadly true.

To speed the learning process watch other peoples films and critique them. What did you like, dislike, note the camera moves that work and those that don't. Make a list and take it to your next flying site. Pull it out and try and replicate the moves.

Keep up the good work.

7. porl_hopkins

Here you go tgrizzle73.................

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYKndPcCXm0

8. poostik

What song is that? I've never heard it before.

9. tgrizzle73

Song is called "Sail" by awolnation

10. tgrizzle73

Thank you... I've actually used this before.