More Colin news...

gunslinger

Premium Pilot
Reaction score
The wife will be bathed in tears (of laughter) if she finds out I'm reading 'celebrity gossip' piece online.

Sounds plausible, though I don't know how much that crap matters in the long run. SpaceX is a nice customer to have in their portfolio, but I can't imagine they'd be paying significant amount of cash compared to Phantom sales.

Actually, it sounds like SpaceX is paying Colin's aerial video company; and DJI is just getting free advertisement (sorta) by having their products used.

Hmm, I have a hard time believing this. I can't see any reason these events would take place. Why would he go through so much trouble to keep the badges. It's not like they can just walk back in anytime they like.

The story just doesn't make sense.

jengo said:
Hmm, I have a hard time believing this. I can't see any reason these events would take place. Why would he go through so much trouble to keep the badges. It's not like they can just walk back in anytime they like.

The story just doesn't make sense.

Odd... to say the least. I don't get it either...

-slinger

This is all starting to make sense now. All the Flyaways are just tests for SpaceX. I bet there is about 3000 Phantom's on the moon right now :D

Studiowise said:
Shouldn't this have been titled "Old Colin news"? This was all from July / August 2013! :0

It was new to me. And I didn't actually title it NEW Colin news... Just "MORE" as in... in addition to. I thought it was interesting. If you don't... that's fine. I'm not offended...

-slinger

gunslinger said:
Studiowise said:
Shouldn't this have been titled "Old Colin news"? This was all from July / August 2013! :0

It was new to me. And I didn't actually title it NEW Colin news... Just "MORE" as in... in addition to. I thought it was interesting. If you don't... that's fine. I'm not offended...

-slinger

Sorry slinger , no offence intended (i did put a :0 !) A lot of people were speculating about why all the traing & info videos had suddenly disappeared and why the seemingly sudden unannounced split between DJI and Mr Guinn. I was just putting this in perspective because, IMO, If this had been massively relevant then I would have thought that a split would have happened much sooner.

Studiowise said:
gunslinger said:
Studiowise said:

-slinger

Sorry slinger , no offence intended (i did put a :0 !) A lot of people were speculating about why all the traing & info videos had suddenly disappeared and why the seemingly sudden unannounced split between DJI and Mr Guinn. I was just putting this in perspective because, IMO, If this had been massively relevant then I would have thought that a split would have happened much sooner.

No offense taken. I had the same thought. I just wondered if it may have been a contributing factor, if true. I was pretty surprised to see this side of him (again... it's still speculation) Thanks for the post, though... Much appreciated.

-slinger

Not sure if this was posted elsewhere but here is something perhaps of interest:
If you go to Colin's public LinkedIn page, he is now listed as CIO and somebody named Tao Wang is the CEO. I believe Mr Wang is the same person who appeared in one or two of the informative intro videos. Neither of them have dates showing when this transition happened. Christie Woods remains listed as the Director of Operations.

Tao Wang always was the CEO of DJI - he founded the company. DJI is a Chinese company, all key decisions were and are made over there. Colin was only ever CEO of DJI North America - and I'm not even sure that was a subsidiary company, it might have even been a standalone outfit owned by Colin using the DIJ name under licence in order to market the products to dealers/consumers in the US - hence why it may have retained the copyright on the videos and/or Colin's personal image and pulled the plug on them when DJI pulled the plug on them...

Good clarification.... I had thought Colin was in China for a time. Regardless, the communication out of DJI continues to be marginal at best with a baseline of pathetic. We have seen this a lot in the tech industry yet it is a shame as the potential of this product line is exponential! Despite the internal personality issues that may have arisen, the fact is that Colin did a great job with the videos and in fact was the driving force for a large number of the Phantom sales. We don't know why he was sacked and where to place the blame yet at the end of the day, DJI continues to demonstrate piss poor customer svc, a confused online presence and erratic if not nonexistent product support.

Can't knock him for his enthusiasm and presentation skills at all. However the first thing DJI did when took over was put in a service centre and telephone customer (not dealer) support line manned by humans in L.A. Seems like they understand that they have to back up the slick marketing. If I lived in the US I'd probably like to have both, but given a choice I'd take the domestic repair centre and the phone help, to be honest.

I've had really good dealer support here in the UK - my dealer seems to have a hotline through to contacts in technical in Shenzhen - but what I don't know is if we have any authorised repair centres in Europe should I need one, otherwise it's going to have to be shipped to China and back which would mean a long layoff.

Pull_Up said:
Tao Wang always was the CEO of DJI - he founded the company. DJI is a Chinese company, all key decisions were and are made over there. Colin was only ever CEO of DJI North America - and I'm not even sure that was a subsidiary company, it might have even been a standalone outfit owned by Colin using the DIJ name under licence in order to market the products to dealers/consumers in the US - hence why it may have retained the copyright on the videos and/or Colin's personal image and pulled the plug on them when DJI pulled the plug on them...

I'm not gonna bother to research more into it, but I also think this is what happened. DJI was pretty loose when they're starting out with US penetration; giving free reign to Colin and his crew.. .and when it went BOOM, they needed to get things under their control fast and Colin probably wanted more share than they're willing to give.

DronePeter said:
All speculations.

You guys are acting like a group old ladies.
All day nothing else to do than spreading rumors around.

If you don't know for sure what really happened...... Keep your mouth

If you don't like this thread, you're cordially invited not to ******* read it...

-slinger

iDrone. said:
DronePeter said:
All speculations.

+1

Well said ! :lol:

A bunch of fishwives

you too...

iDrone. said:
DronePeter said:
All speculations.

+1

A bunch of fishwives

It's a forum for discussion. I happened to learn something today from this thread. I don't appreciate your smart *** response. Yet you are equally entitled as am I. It would be more beneficial for all if you see something not of interest to just shut your mouth and browse elsewhere.

Waterborne said:
iDrone. said:
DronePeter said:
All speculations.

+1

A bunch of fishwives

It's a forum for discussion. I happened to learn something today from this thread. I don't appreciate your smart *** response. Yet you are equally entitled as am I. It would be more beneficial for all if you see something not of interest to just shut your mouth and browse elsewhere.

+1

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20