More channels hack

Any idea on how to get this .dji file to where it needs to be on a Ipad Air 2. I am a windows users, and first time Ipad Air owner, I bought this to use with the P3. So any help on how to see the storage area / drive?
Install iTunes on your computer. Start it up, plug in your iPad via USB, then click on the Apps link on the left side of the page. Then scroll all the way down to the bottom of the page until you see the Go app. Click on it. Then go drag the config file into the folders on the right side of the app you just came from. Confirm overwrite if asked. Done.

Any idea on how to get this .dji file to where it needs to be on a Ipad Air 2. I am a windows users, and first time Ipad Air owner, I bought this to use with the P3. So any help on how to see the storage area / drive?
You need to establish an iTunes account on your PC if you don't already have one.

The .dji file is transferred to the DJI GO app within iTunes. Nothing really happens within the iPad Air per se.

Go back through this thread and the process is all spelled out.

Here's a video with some of the basics:

:harry

Look,,for whatever the reason the upper channels are much quieter than the lower ones. Stock ends at 20.....even if you went up or blocked 2 channels around number 20 your still no where near channel 32. Around my congested place I DOUBLED my range so there's something to be said about this mod. It works period and for many of us. Also keep in mind that after firmware 1.07 DJI deliberately dumbed this thing down. Many phantom fliers reported loss of range especially around urban areas. Now we know why.
I smell snake oil....
@rrmccabe brings up a good point.
First of all, there are no 32 channels in the wifi range. Only in the multiplied custom implementation of dji's lightbridge.
So the question is: are the 8 provided channels spanning the whole range? If the answer is yes, then as @rrmccabe pointed, the other channels are unnecessary. If on the other hand, the 8 channels are not spanning the whole range, then adding a few channels could make a difference. But you could add 4 and cover the range, no need for adding 24.

The place where adding the intermediate channels can help is if you have a really crowded zone, and you could find a channel which is less noisy. But in that case, it would never be a clean channel, so it would not allow for the extra long ranges. If you are able to find a completely clean channel out of the 32, then it means 6 channels on each side are completely clean as well.

There are two things that will impact the quality of the video transmission: wifi interference near the bird, and wifi interference near the controller. The latter is more significant because the controller needs to discern video transmitted from a long range, arriving attenuated, and mingling with other signals in the vicinity of the controller. In most cases the controller will be stationary which is why selecting a fixed clean frequency is good enough.

Finally,regarding my snake oil comment: this will not increase the range. If automatic channel selection is not optimal, then chose a manual channel. One of 8 or one of 32 will not make a difference.

Reactions: rrmccabe
Foosy, have you tried it? I have read the posts that you have referenced and yours. You guys have valid points...but snake oil or shenanigans... My distance with video on the newly provided manual clean channel have greatly improved with this mod than without. As far as adding a certain amount of channels instead of the full 24...hey it is what it is unless you are a coder with SDK to make changes. Anyone here able to break down the channel spread on how we are getting better results with this hack? Someone has put the effort into providing this config file out for the community that has been jonesing for their 32 channels back. Now we have it and without ill effects. And you want to suggest smelling snake oil? OK I guess. It does take all kinds to make a community.

Reactions: BenDronePilot
i updated my ipad mini 3 with the new dji config and voila !!! the 32 channels is here .. i fly my p3p with the manual mode 32 channel like a charm till the 1000m and 200m altitude and still have a full signal ... hurray !!! love it but still not convinced with the idea that the upper channel could give more range than the lower one !!!

One channel won't give any more range than another. The whole point is that you can choose a channel which has little to no traffic on it giving you the best possible signal you can have. Many areas with the 8 channel limit you may have a hard time finding an interference free channel which will reduce your performance and signal stability. Being able to reach beyond those 8 channels and have a relatively clean or completely clean channel will maximize the smoothness of your video feed and your max potential range because no strong signals are stepping on yours.

Reactions: bidaw
One channel won't give any more range than another. The whole point is that you can choose a channel which has little to no traffic on it giving you the best possible signal you can have. Many areas with the 8 channel limit you may have a hard time finding an interference free channel which will reduce your performance and signal stability. Being able to reach beyond those 8 channels and have a relatively clean or completely clean channel will maximize the smoothness of your video feed and your max potential range because no strong signals are stepping on yours.
I would strongly agree with your statement.

I am also getting positive results with this. Previous I would get intermittent signal breakup when flying around my densely populated neighborhood. I now get clean signal the entire flight.

Look,,for whatever the reason the upper channels are much quieter than the lower ones. Stock ends at 20.....even if you went up or blocked 2 channels around number 20 your still no where near channel 32. .

There are NO upper channels above 20. EDIT: THis is not correct. Mod adds channels above and below the stock 13-20.

First of all DJI apparently renamed the channels. They do not have their own special WiFi segment. The DJI specs show "2.400 GHz-2.483 GHz". This is in the standard Wifi range.

The added channels are between these green lines below. You can see one channel is already wide and covers several channels anyway.

32 is NOT higher than 14. 2,484 ghz is the highest frequency.

Note you have to move 6 channels before you don't get any overlap.

I am also surprised the can ship US phantoms with 12, 13 and 14 as those are not supposed to be US channels. Maybe there is some work around. I would be interested to hear it.

As I said I don't see how this works. Just asking !

hpbn_0603.png

Last edited:
You might have to consult DJI as to their channel numbering scheme. Either that or place your Phantom and Controller on a spectrum meter and test the channels on this mod to determine the frequency of the transmissions do determine/prove your inquiry. I'll be the first to admit. I don't know. I just enjoy flying my P3P uninhibited by the restraints that the most current app tried to keep me in. No energy on trying to reverse engineer why they number the things that they do. :)

Last edited:
There are NO upper channels above 20.

First of all DJI apparently renamed the channels. They do not have their own special WiFi segment. The DJI specs show "2.400 GHz-2.483 GHz". This is in the standard Wifi range.

The added channels are between these green lines below. You can see one channel is already wide and covers several channels anyway.

32 is NOT higher than 14. 2,484 ghz is the highest frequency.

Note you have to move 6 channels before you don't get any overlap.

I am also surprised the can ship US phantoms with 12, 13 and 14 as those are not supposed to be US channels. Maybe there is some work around. I would be interested to hear it.

As I said I don't see how this works. Just asking !

View attachment 26852

The DJi channels are in red below. This was a quick modification of rrmccabe's drawing.

DJi vs wifi.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: GodFear17 and bidaw
In fact, a simple test shows that the channels actually span outside the ISM/WiFi band.

What I did:
I configured my router to use a fixed channel, then started a heavy transfer (bandwidth test), and watched what happened on the DJI Pilot app's channel plot.

When I had set the router to channel 1 (WiFi channel), channels 11 to 15 in the DJI app went way up, with channel 13 maximized. No other of the 32 channels were affected.

Similar when setting the router to channel 7, the DJI channel 14 - 19 was affected.
And when setting the router to channel 13, the DJI channel 17 - 21 was affected.

So clearly, the hack seem to be real.

Assuming the DJI channels are equally spread, they will cover about 2,3 GHZ to 2,6 GHz.

With channel 1 selected on the router:
4VvNbPw.png

With channel 13 selected on the router:
fJo81wS.png

Last edited:
Someone posted this hack on RCGROUP:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=32346917&postcount=30331

I just tried it on DJI Pilot android v1.20 and it works- all 32 channels there now....

I'm sure DJI will close the loophole with the next DJI GO version...
At the risk of flames and RTFM comments... going from 8 channels to 32 channels would allow me to do what? Could you explain how I would initiate whatever having extra channels would allow me to do with the limited buttons/dials/one switch on the Phantom 3 TX...

You need to establish an iTunes account on your PC if you don't already have one.

The .dji file is transferred to the DJI GO app within iTunes. Nothing really happens within the iPad Air per se.

Go back through this thread and the process is all spelled out.

Here's a video with some of the basics:

:harry

For those you may have run into the same problems.

I have tried your procedure but was stopped by an apparently empty folder. Instead it was invisible. I was able to reveal it using these instructions. http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/how-show-hidden-files-in-mac-os-x-finder-3520878/
However while having my iPad connected to iTunes and got to the part of adding the file by using the "add file" button it was once again empty or invisible. So I decided to have DJI GO highlighted in the iPad section of apps and did a drag and drop into the DJIGO apps folder only to be presented with the following message. See attachment.
It appears that you have to unlock your iPad while having it connected to iTunes. Unlock simply means you use your 4 digit code or if available your fingerprint scanner.

The result was successful in that my iPad app DJI Go now shows many more channels, however I have yet to test it out. For sure my Trackimo will go along for the ride. :)
Thanks for the video.
Willie

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-08-08 at 12.16.44 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-08-08 at 12.16.44 PM.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 683
In fact, a simple test shows that the channels actually span outside the ISM/WiFi band.

What I did:
I configured my router to use a fixed channel, then started a heavy transfer (bandwidth test), and watched what happened on the DJI Pilot app's channel plot.

When I had set the router to channel 1 (WiFi channel), channels 11 to 15 in the DJI app went way up, with channel 13 maximized. No other of the 32 channels were affected.

Similar when setting the router to channel 7, the DJI channel 14 - 19 was affected.
And when setting the router to channel 13, the DJI channel 17 - 21 was affected.

So clearly, the hack seem to be real.

Assuming the DJI channels are equally spread, they will cover about 2,3 GHZ to 2,6 GHz.

With channel 1 selected on the router:
4VvNbPw.png

With channel 13 selected on the router:
fJo81wS.png

According to the chart, I would expect your first screen shot to be when you had channel 5 selected on your router. Same for the second screen shot would be when your router selected channel 7.

WiFi vs DJi Channelizing Chart.jpg

For those you may have run into the same problems.

I have tried your procedure but was stopped by an apparently empty folder. Instead it was invisible. I was able to reveal it using these instructions. http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/how-show-hidden-files-in-mac-os-x-finder-3520878/
However while having my iPad connected to iTunes and got to the part of adding the file by using the "add file" button it was once again empty or invisible. So I decided to have DJI GO highlighted in the iPad section of apps and did a drag and drop into the DJIGO apps folder only to be presented with the following message. See attachment.
It appears that you have to unlock your iPad while having it connected to iTunes. Unlock simply means you use your 4 digit code or if available your fingerprint scanner.

The result was successful in that my iPad app DJI Go now shows many more channels, however I have yet to test it out. For sure my Trackimo will go along for the ride. :)
Thanks for the video.
Willie
Glad it worked for you! This thread has covered the process several times over, so hopefully pilots out there who decide this is something they want to do will find all the help they need by reading the thread as you did. Happy flying all!

Reactions: JoBe
The config that you are installing is for RC only.
The system on the bird has a similar config but it is for 8ch only, so automatically it can't hop on all the ch of band AND it is the bird that start handshacking. If you plan to use 32ch extension you need to use custom settings with a fixed channel.
Going a bit technical TX/RX chips has 36ch, from 2405.376Mhz to 2477.056Mhz. Now DJI has a system that is 2 Mhz bandwidth channel spacing, and numbers are simply discretionary by the DJI.
The channel freq is : Freq (Mhz) = 2405.376 + 2048 * ( n-1) where (1 <= n <= 36).
This freq need to be in the ISM spectrum (FCC/EU will trash the system otherwise).
The DJI channels aren't the same as Wifi channels 1-14.
View attachment 26758

This render the idea also not stricly DJI Lightbridge channelization. As you can see Wifi and Blutooth are all jam packed in the range...
Thanks for this, Dome!

So, my question is like rmm's. If we accept that DJI's 32 channel spectrum within the FCC's 12 channel spectrum, then where does DJI's 8 channel spectrum fit? Is it equally distributed, meaning their 32 channel spectrum is adding a level if granularity and not necessarily range, or is it clumped at the bottom, meaning the 32 channel spectrum does add range (over the 8, not the FCC range)? Either could be of benefit, though the latter seems more so.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik