More camera focus questions.

I've noticed my last couple of photos the left side of the photo is out of focus also. It's starting to bug me.

This is a common issue on most Phantoms (could be left side or right side or top or bottom). Problem is 100% the lens and it's alignment. Phantom has a screwed on lens above the sensor so if it is not 100% centered and at the correct distance from the sensor, you will notice the blurriness on sides and sometimes center when taking photos.

You won't see this often in video because for video the entire sensor is not used.

Reactions: beeline
This is a common issue on most Phantoms (could be left side or right side or top or bottom). Problem is 100% the lens and it's alignment. Phantom has a screwed on lens above the sensor so if it is not 100% centered and at the correct distance from the sensor, you will notice the blurriness on sides and sometimes center when taking photos.

You won't see this often in video because for video the entire sensor is not used.
Can you see any problems with my images or video?
Thanks [emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

If you and others think my camera is ok
Ray H, this is the best shot I ve had with the P3P replaced camera..It is RAW ( dng) processed by Photoshop CC. If you think yours are like this, then, you are set.

Attachments

• Club ridges p3 NC PS 281.jpg
    Club ridges p3 NC PS 281.jpg
    8.5 MB · Views: 306
Ray H, this is the best shot I ve had with the P3P replaced camera..It is RAW ( dng) processed by Photoshop CC. If you think yours are like this, then, you are set.
Hopefully I can get out and fly this weekend to do some real world testing. I have recently bought it and only managed one flight and it was going dark when I flew it so I can't really be sure what I'm getting out of the camera. That is a good quality shot that you have taken, what altitude was it (so maybe I can check to see what quality I get at that height)?
Thanks [emoji106]

Me too - its only been 25 foot up in the air so far over my garden... :)

Reactions: RayH

So should I I seen the cap off and try out it back on? Or send it to DJI and see what they think. I do more photos then video honestly

So should I I seen the cap off and try out it back on? Or send it to DJI and see what they think. I do more photos then video honestly
Before you send it back, take some pictures. If you are happy with them - keep your copy. You can spend months finding the 'perfect' camera. Unfortunately, there is quite a bit of unit to unit difference in the cameras. There are good copies and bad copies. But.... Much of the issues show up only when staring at a monitor at 100%. Carefully.

Small technical details typically do not detract from the impact of a photo or video when viewed at normal distances and only once or twice. How much time do you think your viewers are going to spend analyzing the technical details of your pics? You're time is better off spent flying and post processing.

If you are delivering paid product, then you might need to be more **** about it. Despite the 'Professional' tag attached to the P3 by the marketing department, the camera is anything but professional quality. If you need a much higher level of photographic integrity, spend the money on a real professional rig.

I've had thousands of viewers look at some of my videos - ones that I angsted over because the lighting was wrong, the framing was wrong (hard to get whales to cooperate) or whatever. Nobody has commented on that. YMMV. Professional operator on closed track. Do not taunt happy fun ball.

Reactions: CaptainDrone798
Thanks for the reply [emoji106]
I will test tomorrow at 30-40 ft to see if things are in focus (weather permitting)
I'm guessing it will be hard to see how good the focus is at that distance as when the image is zoomed into the detail will be of low quality anyway with it being only a 12mp sensor.

I tested mine by flying about 10 meters away from a soccer score board, the letters on the score board made it easy to see if it was in focus. I shot the score board in each corner of the frame and then in the middle with the fastest shutter speed I could. I also did some tests with downloadable camera focus papers while the motors were off and it was obvious which parts of the lense are not in focus. I sent mine in due to focus and gimbal tilt issues and they sent it back with a new camera. Funny thing is my video signal drops out sooner than it did before, like maybe the video transmitter in the other gimbal was stronger.

How to Quickly Test Your DSLR for Autofocus Issues

Reactions: WetDog
I tested mine by flying about 10 meters away from a soccer score board, the letters on the score board made it easy to see if it was in focus. I shot the score board in each corner of the frame and then in the middle with the fastest shutter speed I could. I also did some tests with downloadable camera focus papers while the motors were off and it was obvious which parts of the lense are not in focus. I sent mine in due to focus and gimbal tilt issues and they sent it back with a new camera. Funny thing is my video signal drops out sooner than it did before, like maybe the video transmitter in the other gimbal was stronger.

How to Quickly Test Your DSLR for Autofocus Issues
Thanks for your help, I will try and do something similar this weekend and report back.
Other than that can you see any problems with my uploaded photos?
Thanks again [emoji106]

I am having the issue as well with the left being out of focus and the right side in focus. Should i contact DJI
Total turnaround time for me was 11 days, it is worth it to send it in.

Thanks for your help, I will try and do something similar this weekend and report back.
Other than that can you see any problems with my uploaded photos?
Thanks again [emoji106]

Well first let me say, your kitchen is awesome!. I am no photography expert but the only thing I see wrong in that picture is there looks to be some hot pixels under the oven. You can see the reflection of the smoke detector amongst other things in the floor, your focus seems to be sharp as could be in that photo. Ill have a look at your other photos.

Before you send it back, take some pictures. If you are happy with them - keep your copy. You can spend months finding the 'perfect' camera. Unfortunately, there is quite a bit of unit to unit difference in the cameras. There are good copies and bad copies. But.... Much of the issues show up only when staring at a monitor at 100%. Carefully.

Small technical details typically do not detract from the impact of a photo or video when viewed at normal distances and only once or twice. How much time do you think your viewers are going to spend analyzing the technical details of your pics? You're time is better off spent flying and post processing.

If you are delivering paid product, then you might need to be more **** about it. Despite the 'Professional' tag attached to the P3 by the marketing department, the camera is anything but professional quality. If you need a much higher level of photographic integrity, spend the money on a real professional rig.

I've had thousands of viewers look at some of my videos - ones that I angsted over because the lighting was wrong, the framing was wrong (hard to get whales to cooperate) or whatever. Nobody has commented on that. YMMV. Professional operator on closed track. Do not taunt happy fun ball.
Here is the thread I started yesterday. P3A Left side Focus issue

that is a nice shot, are you using the Photoshop Lense correction Profile for the P3? The P3 does have slight image distortion that needs correction. Here is a link to my dropbox with the lense correction profiles:
Dropbox - Photoshop CC Lense Correction Profiles.zip

I appreciate everyone's help but going back to my original post, does anyone know the focus point or hyperfocal distance of these lenses? It would be interesting to find out how they are set up in the factory. Do they even set them up technically or do they just screw on the lens until it stops? Finding out where the focus point is would help to find out if there is a problem with the lens or something else.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

if you want to experiment you could set up the camera with a focus chart on the wall and take the camera apart to the point that you can twist the lense and adjust the focus. DJI wanted a photo indoors with an image at least 10 meters away when I was trying to show them the focus defect in my lense. I had to shoot scoreboards at an indoor basketball court because my soccer scoreboard pictures they said were affected by the 32 degree temp. So to answer your question to my best ability I think DJI assumes the hyperfocal distance to be 10 meters at room temperature, obviously you can get some shots with focus closer than that but maybe that is the distance they use when focusing the lenses in assembly

Last edited:
if you want to experiment you could set up the camera with a focus chart on the wall and take the camera apart to the point that you can twist the lense and adjust the focus. DJI wanted a photo indoors with an image at least 10 meters away when I was trying to show them the focus defect in my lense. I had to shoot scoreboards at an indoor basketball court because my soccer scoreboard pictures they said were affected by the 32 degree temp. So to answer your question to my best ability I think DJI assumes the hyperfocal distance to be 10 meters at room temperature, obviously you can get some shots with focus closer than that but maybe that is the distance they use when focusing the lenses in assembly

Thanks, some very useful information there.
I will test at 10 meters and see what happens, as for setting the lens I'm guessing my warranty will be void if I take the front off the camera. Or would they even know?

Thanks, some very useful information there.
I will test at 10 meters and see what happens, as for setting the lens I'm guessing my warranty will be void if I take the front off the camera. Or would they even know?

I don't think they would know but I personally woudn't risk it. Do you have gimbal tilt issues? a lot of the phantoms sold around black friday also have gimbal tilt issues where the gimbal is off 1 degree and nothing helps to fix it. Even when you pres C1+C2+right thumb wheel mid flight to correct tilt, it does not stay and immediately shifts to the unlevel position again. If you have gimbal tilt issues you can send it in for that and get the lense fixed as well.

I don't think they would know but I personally woudn't risk it. Do you have gimbal tilt issues? a lot of the phantoms sold around black friday also have gimbal tilt issues where the gimbal is off 1 degree and nothing helps to fix it. Even when you pres C1+C2+right thumb wheel mid flight to correct tilt, it does not stay and immediately shifts to the unlevel position again. If you have gimbal tilt issues you can send it in for that and get the lense fixed as well.
I'm not sure about the tilt issue as I have only had one flight since I bought it and the light was poor. I made this video from the first flight and the horizon on one of the clips does look a bit off (2 min 22 seconds)

I would say your videos/photos are fine. Kitchen is fantastic but yeah, this is what we'll get from p3. it's not dslr, and that's it. pics looks great when resized down 50%, if you look closely and start to inspect quality of every component you'll just find how much money DJI is making selling this toys.

Do you think using 16:9 instead of 4:3 mode for photos will make any difference to quality
Made some tests. The same picture 4:3 and 16:9 files sizes are: 4:3 is 23.7MB and 16:9 is 17.8M. So I was completely wrong thinking that by using 16:9 I got more quality. It is just the opposite.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl