More bad publicity

Keep it in perspective. In my town squirrels have done more damage. The downside is the coward that ran away from his stupidity. Stupidity ultimately outruns all of us unless we yield to its lessons.

-- zigs

This kind of thing is very bad for us, period. Assuming that "It won't happen to me" is a very bad approach. Maybe he'll just blame it on DJI like quite a few folks here do.

With all of the recently introduced legislation, people's disrespect for following any kind of basic guidelines and idiots like this, it won't be too long before we all sit and stare at our Phantoms wistfully, remembering when we were able to fly.

Everybody makes mistakes, I get it. This guy made a big one and is in very hot water. Fly safe everyone!

Last edited:
It is illegal to fly drones in the area, they said.

“Please be aware, FAA regulations state that you cannot fly a drone within a five-mile radius of an airport unless you have properly notified officials, which includes areas such as Moffett Field. Drones can also not be flown near people and they must remain clear of surrounding obstacles,” police said in a statement.

Did this person call the airport before flying? They don't say. So the person might indeed have been flying withing 5 miles of an airport legally. But what does flying w/in 5 miles of an airport have to do with hitting power lines anyway. Also, I don't see this as a malicious flight at all. Should the person have been near power lines? No. But this is what we call an "accident".

Hi, good point. It could be just an accident. However, it stokes the fire of hysteria and more stringent regulations.

I do not see how risking an incident like this is acceptable, especially for a hobby flight. What was the purpose of the flight? I really think that the guy could have made some better choices, that's all I am saying.

It's important for those of us who care to give perspective on these incidents. The underlying gist of many of these stories stokes the idea that drones are dangerous and/or intrusive. Truth is for the most part they aren't any different than most other things that have a human element: The human pulls the trigger, the human gets drunk and causes an accident, the human shows misjudgement and/or idiocy. Keep the focus on that aspect or we will lose the battle. I'm still waiting to hear of the first drone to bring down an airliner. Media reporting from the inception of drone popularity would have us believe there'd be dozens of flights brought down by now.

Again, perspective. As long as human beings are part of the equation in anything there will issues. Make sure people understand that or we'll lose lots of freedoms beyond flying a quadcopter.

-- zigs

Hi, good point. It could be just an accident. However, it stokes the fire of hysteria and more stringent regulations.

I do not see how risking an incident like this is acceptable, especially for a hobby flight. What was the purpose of the flight? I really think that the guy could have made some better choices, that's all I am saying.

The only stokes your hysteria. Accidents occur every day without more stringent regulations.

Same could be said of every automobile accident. I don't know exactly what the person was doing but it's very possible that he/she was not intending to get close to the power lines and just did. I see this different as intending to fly over a full arena or the like.

Yup. Accidents happen. Poor judgement, poor planning, equipment failure, etc.

Shirking responsibility is the problem.
If he/she gets caught then the charges will stack.

I hope the person is ID'd and held accountable. Just like the at-fault party of the aforementioned automobile accident.

Jason,

It's not "my" hysteria ... It Is bad publicity however. The general public doesn't care about details ...

Wasn't sure if folks had heard about it or not.

Jason,

It's not "my" hysteria ... It Is bad publicity however. The general public doesn't care about details ...

Wasn't sure if folks had heard about it or not.

Don't worry Robert the sky isn't falling and you'll be able to fly to your heart's content.

I sincerely apologize for any inappropriate language or tone that I have used in this thread, it was not my intent to insult, direct or implied.

Rob

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20