Moon Gel for Vibration?

• Thread starter Deleted member 6917
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6917

I read somewhere on this forum that someone used the blue moon gel for vibration on their Vision camera. I ordered and received it yesterday. They came in a little round container with 4 little blue squares. I put one of them on top of the Vision and secured it with electrical tape. I wanted to go out and make a test run but it is still snowing hard, 8" last night. Has anyone had any success with this type of gel on their cameras? BTY-my gimbal from dronexpert shipped today, so next Wed. I go flying with new toy!

Attachments

• moon gel 1.jpg
    moon gel 1.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 1,312
  • moon gel 2.jpg
    moon gel 2.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 854
Hmm, I also ordered it, don't have it yet, but uhhh, shouldn't you put it between something, instead of just "on"??

Ton4 said:
Hmm, I also ordered it, don't have it yet, but uhhh, shouldn't you put it between something, instead of just "on"??
It's made to put on drum heads. The fact that it has elastic mass damps vibrations. It's basically how earthquake dampers work in tall buildings.

(Ringo used his wallet, but moon gel wasn't invented then.)

I know where it is intended for, originally. But do a Google search for "moongel gimbal" without the quotes , and you only see it used between things that should not transfer vibes.

reALIGNed said:
its good stuff, been using it for years on my helicopters. its an awesome vibration damper for tail gyro's

Isn't that putting the gel between the gyro and the vibrating surface??

Ton4 said:
I know where it is intended for, originally. But do a Google search for "moongel gimbal" without the quotes , and you only see it used between things that should not transfer vibes.
Well, it might work if you used it to attach the gimbal to the aircraft (or the motors to the aircraft) and somehow made it stick. But trying to sandwich it could make things worse, depending on how it was done. For example, with the P2V, wedging it between the camera mount and the body would probably lessen the effectiveness of the wee rubber mounts. It also constrains the movement of the gel, and its limpness is part of what makes it work.

I've done soundproofing in the past, and it's all about minimizing contact between surfaces and putting dense, limp mass in between them that is uncoupled from at least one surface. It only takes a small contact point to render it all moot.

My speakers sit on top of a gel pad, *rather* than directly on the stands, and the gel pads provide damping. But gravity holds the speakers on. If my studio jumped up and down and I had to bolt the speakers to the stand, squeezing some gel in between is going to provide little benefit.

Not to say that it can't be done, or can't be effective, but it's not necessarily simple nor intuitive.

Thanks for the heads up on the self adhesive vibration plate. Maybe I will use it to mount my dronexpert gimbal in between the gimbal plate and the landing gear on the phantom2 when it arrives next week. Good or bad idea? I read that mostly people use it on top of their cameras.

Ton4 said:
reALIGNed said:
its good stuff, been using it for years on my helicopters. its an awesome vibration damper for tail gyro's

Isn't that putting the gel between the gyro and the vibrating surface??

Physically yes, but the gyro sits on the gel pad (the ALIGN stuff is adhesive) all by itself, not clamped or velcroed. (no compression)

Attachments

• imagesS2490B2A.jpg
    imagesS2490B2A.jpg
    7 KB · Views: 656
I read somewhere on this forum that someone used the blue moon gel for vibration on their Vision camera. I ordered and received it yesterday. They came in a little round container with 4 little blue squares. I put one of them on top of the Vision and secured it with electrical tape. I wanted to go out and make a test run but it is still snowing hard, 8" last night. Has anyone had any success with this type of gel on their cameras? BTY-my gimbal from dronexpert shipped today, so next Wed. I go flying with new toy!
I think you are missing a concept here....

that's like putting a square of this on your pc to smooth out video :shock:

To me it seems more like voodoo, this putting the moongel on the camera instead of damping vibes before they reach the camera. All you do is add mass. Unless there is some physical principle I am not aware that makes the moongel move in the opposite direction of the vibes applied to it.

Ton4 said:
To me it seems more like voodoo, this putting the moongel on the camera instead of damping vibes before they reach the camera. All you do is add mass. Unless there is some physical principle I am not aware that makes the moongel move in the opposite direction of the vibes applied to it.
Exactly, thus soaking up the energy, and then expends that energy as heat, as well as modifying the frequency spectrum of the vibration.

Part of the impact of the vibration is resonance, where you get buildup of particular frequencies, which translate into lots of motion. Damping helps get rid of that resonance.

It would be nice if the energy never made it to the camera (say, by hanging the camera off of a big sticky lump of moon gel), and this is the principle behind the P2V's camera hanging off of those soft rubber buttons, but bleeding off the energy once it's made it to the camera is still helpful.

Pull out a guitar and pluck a string. Now lay a finger lightly in the middle of the string and pluck it again. In both cases you put the same amount of energy into the string, but in the latter case your finger damps the resonance and bleeds off some of the energy. Same principle.

BTW, just in case it isn't clear, I'm not claiming that putting moon gel on your camera will actually help your videos, just that it isn't crazy to think it might. The effect may or may not be sufficient to be visible.

dkatz42 said:
BTW, just in case it isn't clear, I'm not claiming that putting moon gel on your camera will actually help your videos, just that it isn't crazy to think it might. The effect may or may not be sufficient to be visible.

Voodoo. It works or it doesn't.

Don't understand me wrong, moongel, sorbothane and the like absorb vibes when utilized in the right way.

But sticking it on camera? Might as well attach it to the arms of my Phantom then. And my gimbal.

Ton4 said:
Don't understand me wrong, moongel, sorbothane and the like absorb vibes when utilized in the right way.

But sticking it on camera? Might as well attach it to the arms of my Phantom then. And my gimbal.
Might help, but the camera in its rigid mount has its own resonance.

Heck, coat the whole thing in it, and get waterproofing at no extra charge. ;)

Well the snow quit falling and I got cabin fever because my garage door opener shorted out and my car was in it, so got the Phantom out for a spin with a Duck Dynasty heli pad and some wind....it was great. Could not notice a big difference with the moon gel, only slightly since I was fighting a 15 mph wind. Got a few good clips.....but the dumb, smart phone would not go into the app. I finally got the darn thing to work by restarting...and up I went.. The Walmart bike lights worked well....but not as bright as the other ones I received for the Phantom...wrong connectors not for Phantom 2 battery. Nothing spectacular... just some clips! I posted on Vimeo a little while ago. https://vimeo.com/86669281

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers