Moody cinematic footage shot with P2V

Reaction score
Okay, I tried to make the title of this post a little more enticing for everyone because a few commented that my last post title was too generic :)

This is the first thing I shot with the P2V one foggy morning. I have been a cinematographer for about 12 years so not a newbie to operating a camera but new to flying one.

For this first piece, I wanted to create a cool mood. My Phantom was really wet when I was done so I wouldn't recommend doing too much shooting in the fog because of moisture issues.

Workflow: shot 30p 1080, imported into Adobe Premiere and interpreted the footage as 24fps. Edited on a 24fps timeline, added the Warp Stabilizer to smooth out the footage and then added a letterbox for a more cinematic look. No other slowing down of the footage was done aside from the 30-24fps conversion (20% slower than the original speed).

I'm happy to answer any other questions regarding technique or whatever.

Enjoy: http://youtu.be/vqGFnN83sCs

That was beautiful.
Dammit, now go away now. I cant take any more.
Worth flying in the fog.

Shame they had to cut those trees for that **** wire.

hi i really like this video especially the reverse through the trees, im quite new to video and at a bit of a crossroads, i find premiere pro a little confusing, and i dont have the features i want in gopro studio, i would love to be able to do 3d text in video, twixtor slowmo, etc solar flares.i have beeen flying rc for 3 years but only had my quad since christmas

https://vimeo.com/82773711

https://vimeo.com/83499157

Nice cinematography. Is that pull-down jitter or something else (I'm referring to the studdering), maybe side effects of the warp stabilizer or combination of the two.
As with the last film, you shooting angles help with the fish eye, but the letter boxing also does a good job of cutting out the worst parts.

Well done.

Very impressive, Steven, you're quickly raising the bar on what a "good" video looks like :D

It's nice to see what the Phantom Vision can do in the hands of a professional - of course that means I can't blame the tool anymore when my videos come out looking like a hot mess...

Fantastic footage. It's this kind of stuff I keep showing my wife to try and justify why I just spent a couple of thousand dollars on my new P2 set up! Thank you !

PetePerrim said:
Fantastic footage. It's this kind of stuff I keep showing my wife to try and justify why I just spent a couple of thousand dollars on my new P2 set up! Thank you !

Is she now asking you you....WELL where is it! :lol:

themosttoys said:
Nice cinematography. Is that pull-down jitter or something else (I'm referring to the studdering), maybe side effects of the warp stabilizer or combination of the two.
As with the last film, you shooting angles help with the fish eye, but the letter boxing also does a good job of cutting out the worst parts.

Well done.

Thank you. The jitter you are referring to is a side effect of 24p footage on video. It is directly related to movement and exactly what tempo a particular thing is traveling across the screen. I still prefer that cadence to 30p or, gulp, 60i ;)

disjecta said:
Okay, I tried to make the title of this post a little more enticing for everyone because a few commented that my last post title was too generic :)

This is the first thing I shot with the P2V one foggy morning. I have been a cinematographer for about 12 years so not a newbie to operating a camera but new to flying one.

For this first piece, I wanted to create a cool mood. My Phantom was really wet when I was done so I wouldn't recommend doing too much shooting in the fog because of moisture issues.

Workflow: shot 30p 1080, imported into Adobe Premiere and interpreted the footage as 24fps. Edited on a 24fps timeline, added the Warp Stabilizer to smooth out the footage and then added a letterbox for a more cinematic look. No other slowing down of the footage was done aside from the 30-24fps conversion (20% slower than the original speed).

I'm happy to answer any other questions regarding technique or whatever.

Nice stuff! I'm somewhat new to editing:
- how do interpret the footage as 24fps exactly?
- how did you add letterbox in AP?

Thanks in advance!

Enjoy: http://youtu.be/vqGFnN83sCs

Not sure why you quoted my entire post and didn't comment. Did you have a question?

That is absolutely stunning and once I have actually figured out how to edit videos myself (my son is the expert) I intend to use yours as the target to aim for. :ugeek:

Pull_Up said:
They just forgot to close the quote, it was hidden in there:

Oh :)

Inside premiere, you right click on the footage and choose "interpret footage". Type in 23.976 (this is 24fps).
For the letterbox, go to the Transform category in video effects and choose Crop from the list. Make top and bottom 12.5% each and voila!

Seahorse said:
That is absolutely stunning and once I have actually figured out how to edit videos myself (my son is the expert) I intend to use yours as the target to aim for. :ugeek:

Thank you :)

disjecta said:
Pull_Up said:
They just forgot to close the quote, it was hidden in there:

Oh :)

Inside premiere, you right click on the footage and choose "interpret footage". Type in 23.976 (this is 24fps).
For the letterbox, go to the Transform category in video effects and choose Crop from the list. Make top and bottom 12.5% each and voila!

Thanks! I appreciate your help!

Hi. Awesome footage. May I ask a couple questions?

1. What frame rate is this? 24p or 30p?

2. What color correction are you using in post? Are you warming it up? Your video looks sharper than mine with a more cinematic feel.

3. What aspect ration are you shooting at vs cropping. Looks like standard 16:9 in camera and you're doing a 2:35 crop to give in the super wide screen feel.

4. Are you using a gimbal or are you using a post production stabilizing filter?

thanks,

Another filmmaker

1. What frame rate is this? 24p or 30p?

Shot at 30p and interpreted in Adobe Premiere as 24fps (so it's converted in post). The P2V does not shoot natively in 24p.

2. What color correction are you using in post? Are you warming it up? Your video looks sharper than mine with a more cinematic feel.

I am using the color corrector software in Premiere. Warming it up a little and adding some extra contrast for punch but using the shadow/highlight tool to balance under and over exposure. I can't comment on the sharpness because I'm not doing anything with that, just whatever the camera records.

3. What aspect ration are you shooting at vs cropping. Looks like standard 16:9 in camera and you're doing a 2:35 crop to give in the super wide screen feel.

I'm shooting at 16:9, regular HD mode. And yes, I'm cropping it to approximate 2.35:1 Cinemascope ratio.

4. Are you using a gimbal or are you using a post production stabilizing filter?

I have not modified the P2V in any way. I'm using the default settings of Adobe Premiere's Warp Stabilizer tool to smooth out the bumps.

Tall Chief! Love it!

Great compositions, atmosphere, and smooth execution. I think flying in fog is actually a plus, because you know it's dead calm - not a breath of wind.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl