Moire issue

Reaction score
Curious if anyone has had and or knows how to remedy this issue I am having with video I shot with my Phantom. I edited together some footage I shot with the Phantom and it plays great on my computers. Then I burned a DVD and tried watching it on my TV and I had moire issues with vertical lines in architecture and even tress at some height. Since the problem wasn't visible on my computer I've been trying to find what causes the change when recorded to a DVD. Been looking online but not much luck, figured I'd ask here. Thanks.

Dvd? Wow that's old skool ;)
Could it have been when your camera was pointed towards the sun? If so its shadows from your props bouncing off your lens. Only way to stop it is to not point your camera into the sun or get a lens hood or a piece of black electrical tape to make a hamemade hood. If it isnt that it could be jello which is a vibration coming from your blades and shaking your camera.

Yep, I have no use for DVD. My remote for mine doesn't even work any more and it hasn't been turned on for years but I made a video for some one a couple days ago and they are older and wanted it on DVD. The video is OK and completely watchable but my OCD is nagging me to make it as good as the edited file. I noticed as well when I made a AVI file of the video it did the same thing. The AVI file size is almost ten times the size of the WMV file. The WMV file looks great. It's not a sun issue though, I can see the problem from all angles. Probably the resampling. I have a friend who is in video production.......I plan on picking his brain tomorrow. Thanks everyone.

Probably your burn to dvd went bad, try again.. (maybe there was some dust in that 'ol burner) Your issue is not at all unusual and it is typically part of your process post recording. Since the recording is fine. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

.......Also, and forgive me for not starting another thread.......another strange issue I have noticed is the last MP4 file of a series of videos I have made during one flight (sometimes I stop video to take a still image) will not play. This doesn't happen every time I take the Phantom out, just occasionally. I've been trying to think what I might be doing wrong and I had wondered if sometimes instead of stopping the video recording if I am just shutting my smartphone down at the end of a flight. I will probably do a couple tests to see. I had three videos from a single flight yesterday and was very disappointed to see the last one I shot come up as "MP4 file is corrupted".

Wedeliver, if I hadn't seen the same results from saving my file as a AVI do the same thing I could understand your theory. I play it on my computer and it looks just like the DVD. The DVD plays everything, just doesn't look as good as the WMV and original MP4 files.

karmakazi said:
Wedeliver, if I hadn't seen the same results from saving my file as a AVI do the same thing I could understand your theory. I play it on my computer and it looks just like the DVD. The DVD plays everything, just doesn't look as good as the WMV and original MP4 files.

Hi, not sure exactly what you are saying, but.. from my experience, go for the simple fixes first. If you have a video that works in one state but not another the issue might very well be the process used. I had this happen day before yesterday. I had a movie maker video I had saved to my hard drive and I copied it to a thumb drive. The thumb drive copy was bad and played very poorly. It constantly started and stopped and behaved in a very strange way. Because there was a video I was thinking there must be some thumb drive issue. But all I did was delete the copy I had put on the thumb drive and copy a new one to it. Worked fine after that. Just sayin! :)

In my experience is the resampling process that usually gets me.

cahutch said:
If you don't stop the recording before shutting off the phantom, the file will be corrupted.
You can fix it by putting the sd card back in the phantom and power cycling once

Bummer, this didn't seem to work.

It most likely is a down converting issue and it's a common problem since the invent of HD. If your in ntsc land 720 will down scale a lot better than 1080. No such luck for us pal land users with the Vision+. If your editing software has it, use a very small amount of Gaussian blur. It will soften the picture but you can find a balance.
I still have customers who request DVD. Heck, I've had customers still with 4x3 crt tv's.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic