Module Placement

Reaction score
Been flying my F550 for over at least a month now and finally got around to ordering an IOSD mini along with the iPad Ground Station (got a deal that was to hard to resist) so it all arrived earlier today and I'm starting to setup the modules but I have no idea about placement. As much room as the f550 seems to have under it's belly it turns out it's only just enough for all of the modules.

Just curious how everyone else has setup their module placement. Also I'm assuming there's no issues with doubling Modules? eg. putting a module on top of another module.

Thanks everyone :)

SammyB said:
Been flying my F550 for over at least a month now and finally got around to ordering an IOSD mini along with the iPad Ground Station (got a deal that was to hard to resist) so it all arrived earlier today and I'm starting to setup the modules but I have no idea about placement. As much room as the f550 seems to have under it's belly it turns out it's only just enough for all of the modules.

Just curious how everyone else has setup their module placement. Also I'm assuming there's no issues with doubling Modules? eg. putting a module on top of another module.

My iOSD sits on top of the GCU. What you can't do is put anything on top of your NAZA. Good LUck!

You can also attach things like that to the underside of the top deck, I had to do that with my PMU, iOSD mkII, and FC unit (I have WKM), since the IMU and landing gear mounting brackets ate up most of the space on the top of the bottom deck. Radio Rx and Data Link for GS are mounted under the bottom deck.

Module stacking should be fine, although I probably wouldn't stick anything on the PMU due to possible EMI interference...but I have no proof that it would cause issues either (the PMU is likely shielded against that, but I can't say for sure).

SammyB said:

Popped the top off my 550 and this is how my modules are stuck in, NAZA, PMU, iOSDmkII and RX, I also have a ground station to go in probably will just move the Futaba back a little then fit it in there...

Other stuff is under, AVL58 and Flytrex as per this post http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=10981

IMG_1190.jpg

Thanks for everyones input! Haha I figured it wasn't a good idea to double up on my Naza modules, glad to have that confirmed.

I did end up sticking my Datalink on top of that bottom deck, although I'd like to keep as much hardware off it as possible to when I'm actually tinkering I don't have to mess around and unplug cables. Seems to work well with just the one module at the moment however.

Thanks for that photo markab! Checked out your other photos of your setup to, looks sick. I need to get a good pair of legs soon, and a bracket for my gimbal.

Module Layout
TFkuVupl.jpg

Stacked my Can-Hub onto my H3-2D Module and my IOSD Mini onto the H3-2D (triple stacking ftw)
ED8XMTol.jpg

Put my Datalink on the bottom deck as suggested
GPHTDNgl.jpg

As long as you don't have anything touching the Naza, except the occasional servo wires, the other components are fairly tolerant of each other. I even remove the plastic/aluminum casing from all my accessories (pmu/OSD/btu/bec/arduino) and stack the naked circuit boards on top of each other (electrically insulated).

ElGuano said:
As long as you don't have anything touching the Naza, except the occasional servo wires, the other components are fairly tolerant of each other. I even remove the plastic/aluminum casing from all my accessories (pmu/OSD/btu/bec/arduino) and stack the naked circuit boards on top of each other (electrically insulated).

Yea my Naza is off limits to all of my other electronics. Haha, was it worth removing the cases for the extra space? Personally I can't think of anything else I'd want to put on my F550.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav