Modifying throttle to central spring loaded

Reaction score
Hi, now that I've got the video Tx and Antenna sorted out, and getting a good picture quality on the monitor. I'm enjoying using the FPV system, the only problem is when I yaw the Phantom to left or right , I either add or loose altitude. which is easy to correct when flying LOS, but I'm finding it difficult to control when flying FPV.
I've tried tighten up the throttle "friction" bar, but would like to fit the Shapeways throttle centralising spring system (like the newer radios)
my question is , what version of the software would I need to download to alter the throttle settings to the newer set-up, after I've done the physical modification, and can/will this require other software mods.
Thanks for your advise

No need to reset anything. But when you turn on the Tx before the Phantom, you have to push or pull.....the throttle down to the bottom to shut the beeping off.

Slugger

Thanks for the reply, what I haven't been able to visualise is how the Phantom knows to hover, keep steady height, when the Throttle Stick springs back to the central position. But, i was forgetting about GPS ! So I presumed the later type radio/tx worked with a later version of software, 3.12/3.14

Do you know if the Futaba T8J comes with a spring centralised throttle, I think the 8FGH version does, but haven't read of anyone on the forum using this one.

of course, I could be making a problem out of nothing, but when I'm flying using the monitor, I tend to end up flying to high, after unconsciously tweaking the throttle, maybe nervous reaction ? flying LOS without the monitor, I don't have a problem.

Jonysan, I've upgraded to he Futaba T8J and the left stick does not self centre. I found it a bit of a pain as I kept forgetting to pull it down or push up and my Phantom keep ascending or descending. I sent an email to Futaba asking if it was possible to modify the left stick to self centre and they said yes and gave me the part numbers. Better still they then said they would post the parts to me free of charge. Great service, just waiting for them now to be delivered.

Thank you so much for the reply, that's interesting to know. I will check if I can also get the modification parts and then go with the T8J,

Thanks.

Apparently these are parts you need;

HSP50105 SPRING HOOK
HSP50120 SWING ARM
HSP79832 SCREW 2X14
HSP67445 SPRING

jonysan said:
Thank you so much for the reply, that's interesting to know. I will check if I can also get the modification parts and then go with the T8J,

Thanks.

I have the newer remote and removed the arm and spring. I like the total manual without spring return. If you want them PM me with an address and ill send them to you. You will have the tension metal and screw.
Easy to install.

Hi Rampage42,
Have sent you a pm, I am in the U.K. , and I think you are in USA ?
It could be a problem, in which case, thank you either way for that.

p.s. he's a good bloke ! as we say in England

Jonysan, I'm also in the UK so if you have problems just drop Futaba support an email.

jonysan said:
Thanks for the reply, what I haven't been able to visualise is how the Phantom knows to hover, keep steady height, when the Throttle Stick springs back to the central position. But, i was forgetting about GPS ! So I presumed the later type radio/tx worked with a later version of software, 3.12/3.14

Altitude hold (ie hovering at the same height) is not dependent on GPS data, in fact while altitude/elevation can be measured by GPS, it's not quick enough or precise enough for altitude hold. The NAZA includes a hardware barometric pressure sensor that measure changes in air pressure. Take a look at DJI's NAZA manual and you'll see that full 3-D position hold ( x, y, and z axes = latitude, longitude, and altitude) requires GPS (you must be in 'GPS' flight mode). However altitude hold (hovering at a stable height) functions in 'Atti' mode and therefore works when GPS signals are completely absent (indoors for example) or insufficient for GPS mode.

So based upon altitude information from its barometric sensor, the NAZA 'knows' to adjust motor speeds as necessary to maintain altitude ~constant when the throttle is at 50%.

Steve

MKheng said:
Jonysan, I've upgraded to he Futaba T8J and the left stick does not self centre. I found it a bit of a pain as I kept forgetting to pull it down or push up and my Phantom keep ascending or descending. I sent an email to Futaba asking if it was possible to modify the left stick to self centre and they said yes and gave me the part numbers. Better still they then said they would post the parts to me free of charge. Great service, just waiting for them now to be delivered.

Thanks for describing this option. I have a new Futaba 14SGH, it definitely does not have a self-centering Throttle axis by default. I had planned to simply increase the tension on this axis, but that does not provide any tactile sense of when 'midpoint' is attained. I will look into getting the parts to make this change.

Steve

Steve, thanks for that, no wonder the Naza gets tired and fly's away, it's working overtime, with no pay and no thanks!

deluge2 said:
jonysan said:

Altitude hold (ie hovering at the same height) is not dependent on GPS data, in fact while altitude/elevation can be measured by GPS, it's not quick enough or precise enough for altitude hold. The NAZA includes a hardware barometric pressure sensor that measure changes in air pressure. Take a look at DJI's NAZA manual and you'll see that full 3-D position hold ( x, y, and z axes = latitude, longitude, and altitude) requires GPS (you must be in 'GPS' flight mode). However altitude hold (hovering at a stable height) functions in 'Atti' mode and therefore works when GPS signals are completely absent (indoors for example) or insufficient for GPS mode.

So based upon altitude information from its barometric sensor, the NAZA 'knows' to adjust motor speeds as necessary to maintain altitude ~constant when the throttle is at 50%.

Steve

Very well explained!

The accuracy of the barometric sensor isn't 100% accurate, and this is where the margin of ~2m for altitude "drift" comes from. It's also worth remembering that the sensor measures air pressure, and the four props will create pressure changes in the shell too.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20